Author Topic: YSU adds a game with Carlow tonight  (Read 3892 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU adds a game with Carlow tonight
« on: January 04, 2021, 12:38:18 PM »
6 PM tonight at Beeghly.  Tickets are available but not at the door.  Looks like this will be Carlow's first game of the year.  They are another NAIA school and play Point Park and WVU Tech, the two NAIA schools YSU has beat this year.

Coach Calhoun had mentioned before he'd like to possible add a couple games in between league play.  I was wondering if he'd try to do one this week especially with how the team is playing.  I think it's important to regain some confidence heading into Wright State this weekend. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:58:11 PM by mudclods »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU adds a game with Carlow tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »
what is the benefit of playing a NAIA school.  it is like a junior varsity game.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 07:06:43 PM »
Cleveland State has played Toledo, Ohio U. and Ohio State and YSU is playing Carlow.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 08:10:20 PM »
Let's not get too down on playing Carlow.  Coach started 5 freshman and played only one starter in Akuchie who he probably felt needed some work since he hasn't played well as of late.
It was good for the freshmen to get a lot of playing time especially with missing so much practice .

Dunn,Vargo,and Hunter show a lot of pontential.  Hunter's shot can bring some rain.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 08:26:36 PM »
If it wasn't for NAIA schools of Point Park, WVU Tech & Carlow, YSU probably would have only played 1 non-conference game.  It was bad timing with YSU's quarantines that killed their non-conference D1 schedule, and then add in the fact that I don't believe any of the regional D2 or D3 schools were able to play.  Coach said he'd like to get in another non-conference D1 game before the end of the season.

The freshman lost so many practices, scrimmages, and non-conference games so it was great to see them actually get some game time experience.  It also has allowed the parents the opportunities to attend games in person.

I thought everyone played well tonight, shot the play well, and made FT.  Some of these kids are going to be needed down the stretch.

Akuchie was the only starter that got any mins.  Noticed DQ wasn't even in the building.  Anyone know anything about that?   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 03:20:57 PM »
I actually like games like this and would like to see another where the frosh and walkons only play.   Some of these guys are getting limited or no minutes.

Vargo and Dunn showed some nice ball skills and both have a nice stroke and with playing time comes confidence which will pay dividends down the road.

I like Ogoro's size at pt guard but would like to see him shoot.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 04:13:20 PM »
last time I checked we are Division1 not 2 or 3 or NAIA.    some of the lower divisions do have JV teams