Author Topic: Spring 2021 Football Schedule  (Read 11639 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2021 Football Schedule
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 09:57:13 AM »
Undeniably a smaller pool, but that doesn't mean the Valley doesn't produce competitive football players. Or that YSU can't compete in the MVFC with 30 players on the roster.  Look as the ND players on the NDSU roster.  They have a ton and if memory serves, they remain fairly competitive.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline cjm

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 12:40:11 PM »
i would agree but also consider NDSU is about the only legit game in that state if you don't receive a scholly from a bigger out of state school. they don't have as much competition when recruiting locally or statewide at the FCS level. in the valley (and ohio) you have a far greater pool of bigger colleges that can recruit so arguably YSU will have a harder time attracting talented local or state native athletes.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2021 Football Schedule e
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 10:19:05 AM »
i would agree but also consider NDSU is about the only legit game in that state if you don't receive a scholly from a bigger out of state school. they don't have as much competition when recruiting locally or statewide at the FCS level. in the valley (and ohio) you have a far greater pool of bigger colleges that can recruit so arguably YSU will have a harder time attracting talented local or state native athletes.

I think it’s less of a population issue and more the fact that recruiting has become tougher. In the 90s the MAC wasn’t as high profile as it is today. There was no MAC TV contract and YSU regularly played and beat Kent and Akron. Now the Valleys best recruits view the MAC as a higher level than FCS, at least more so then they did in the past. Add to that the lack of YSU playoff appearances and we just aren’t getting the same type of local talent.
That’s my theory anyway.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 10:21:56 AM by Kandrase »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 11:13:51 AM »
the population decline is directly related to the community support and attendance.  YSU will never draw big crowds.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 12:58:52 PM »
The attendance issue can be attributed to a lot of things.  Lack of winning, zero stability, unaccountable AD Dept, OSU and Big Ten football in general, stadium atmosphere, little student interest (winning would help)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 05:26:10 PM »
The attendance issue can be attributed to a lot of things.  Lack of winning, zero stability, unaccountable AD Dept, OSU and Big Ten football in general, stadium atmosphere, little student interest (winning would help)

And the fact that every home game is streamed live in HD on ESPN3 or ESPN+. High speed internet is available to just about all but our most unfortunate citizens.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 12:12:07 PM »

And the fact that every home game is streamed live in HD on ESPN3 or ESPN+. High speed internet is available to just about all but our most unfortunate citizens.
excuses excuses excuses.  the internet isn't a unique new competition to  live in person YSU football.  EVERYBODY has the same issue.  OSU on TV has ALWAYS been the biggest competitor for YSU games.  That isn't new.  Nothing but the virus is new and we really stepped on our dicks over-reacting to that!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 05:05:06 PM »
I think a lot of the things listed here make a nice thread. One thing I would like to see are the number of high-schools and their divisions over the past 50-years in the Valley.