Author Topic: Spring 2021 Football Schedule  (Read 11626 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Spring 2021 Football Schedule
« on: September 24, 2020, 06:35:29 PM »
Feb. 21 at North Dakota State
March 6 vs. Southern Illinois
March 13 at South Dakota State
March 20 vs. Indiana State
March 27 vs. UNI
April 3 at Western Illinois
April 10 vs. North Dakota
April 17 at Missouri State

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring 2021 Football Schedule
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 09:11:00 AM »
  We open on a Sunday.  I could see at most 4 wins, which would be a great season for Phillips.  But that may be unrealistic, thinking YSU will win all four that could go either way.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 10:09:25 AM »
Tough schedule 2 maybe 3 wins with some luck.  Probably won't see NDSU QB or any other players who are draft prospects.  Should have played a couple of games this fall when we had the chance.  Could have firmed line up and got players experience with new coaches & players.  BIG MISTAKE

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 10:15:42 AM »
Does opening on a Sunday have to do with TV?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 11:34:57 PM »
The order of the games in this reshuffled schedule seems to be favorable.  Losses at NDSU and at SDSU have become automatic; best that those games are early.  Four of the last five games are not impossible.  And UNI is not the same team outside of their gym.  Most of us expect few wins.  The important thing will be how we feel on April 17. Will we continue to be depressed or will we actually feel some hope for the future?

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 10:15:49 AM »
no bakery with this schedule.....no cupcakes

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
You guys see 2, 3, even 4 wins here?  Must have a bunch of players in the MVFC die of COVID-19 for us to win that many!
MAC is back playing in 2020.  Are we the only sissies standing around holding our dicks waiting for 2021?
What a bunch of pussies the MVFC is.  Notre Dame can change and join a conference, we should too!  Screw the MVFC forever! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 10:31:19 AM »
If my math is correct we have 7 QB's on the roster.   How can that possibly be and why? All u have to do is review the roster to see how far away we are from competing for anything.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 11:45:33 AM »
If my math is correct we have 7 QB's on the roster.   How can that possibly be and why? All u have to do is review the roster to see how far away we are from competing for anything.
How can that possibly be and why?  Easy, they joined the team.  I believe 3 are walk-ons and 4 scholarship OB's doesn't seem like too many to me!
How to you just look at a roster and see how far away we are?  Looks like names numbers positions, school class, height, weight, HS, and majors to me.  All rosters "look" pretty much the same. Hard to tell who can block/tackle and who can't looking at a roster. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »
The roster includes nearly 30 players from Mahoning and Trumbull County.  I don't care if they're scholarship players or walk-ons.  Can anyone honestly say that that spells future success?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 09:38:59 AM »
The roster includes nearly 30 players from Mahoning and Trumbull County.  I don't care if they're scholarship players or walk-ons.  Can anyone honestly say that that spells future success?
Here's an interesting fact, 100% of the players on the roster are from somewhere.  WTF is wrong with being from the Valley?  Guys like Bernie Kosar, Paul Warfield, Randy Gradishar, and MANY others played with great distinction in the NFL for crying out loud!
This is an interesting list of NFL players from one Mahoning Valley HS.  Who is it?
James Daniels

Dan Herron

Mario Manningham

Prescott Burgess

Chris Rucker

Chris Rucker

Korey Stringer

LeShun Daniels

Joey Browner

Travis Davis

David Arnold

Keith Browner

Aaron Brown

Ross Browner

Bill Kollar

Jim Browner

Paul Warfield

Joe Carroll

Jim Brutz

Charley Riffle

John Chickerneo

Warren G. Harding (combined stats with Warren Western Reserve)  There is PLENTY of talent in the valley to win.  Demeaning a player because of where his from is just plan wrong.  Nearly as wrong as demeaning him for his religion, sexual orientation or race.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 10:01:18 AM »
I appreciate your argument about NFL players from the Mahoning Valley but what do any of the players on your list have to do with YSU Football?  So you honestly think the current roster can compete and win in the MVFC?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 12:15:45 PM »
We are an extremely young football team.  I only count 14 seniors on the roster, and probably no more than 3 or 4 will start.  Half of them won't see the field very much at all. We don't know if the inexperienced players will work out.  Phillips does not know either. He was dealt a terrible hand.

The quality football players that the Valley has produced are legendary. But I'm not sure that folks understand that the quality of high school play has deteriorated in recent years.  There are no state powers left. The old Steel Valley Conference that churned out most of the stars is defunct. In the old days, the second tier local high school stars could almost certainly help us. Today, such local players are just prospects.  Might be wonderful; might not be able to perform at this level.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 09:12:06 AM »
I appreciate your argument about NFL players from the Mahoning Valley but what do any of the players on your list have to do with YSU Football?  So you honestly think the current roster can compete and win in the MVFC?
Your implication was that having too many players from the Valley doomed the program.  My point it the Valley produces MANY fine players and your comment is invalid based on history.
Yes, I do think we have many players that can compete in the MVFC EVENTUALLY!  This year is going to be an extended spring practice getting us ready for fall camp.  I really thing Mark Waid could be the best YSU QB ever.  CERTAINLY not a certainty, but it's possible.  D has enough players to be competitive now, given coaching and practice.  OL is the issue, and we NEED at least a couple of talented replacements, but if DP can fill a couple OL holes I think we could surprise a few people in fall 2021.
What I'm saying is if we don't make the playoffs in fall 2021, it won't be because of too many Mahoning Valley players. 
I think Waid, Forest, Forest Gump, Anderson, Coates, McFadden, Troy Jakubec, Nick DeSalvo, and others can compete successfully in the MVFC. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 09:31:57 AM »
Your implication was that having too many players from the Valley doomed the program.  My point it the Valley produces MANY fine players and your comment is invalid based on history.
Yes, I do think we have many players that can compete in the MVFC EVENTUALLY!  This year is going to be an extended spring practice getting us ready for fall camp.  I really thing Mark Waid could be the best YSU QB ever.  CERTAINLY not a certainty, but it's possible.  D has enough players to be competitive now, given coaching and practice.  OL is the issue, and we NEED at least a couple of talented replacements, but if DP can fill a couple OL holes I think we could surprise a few people in fall 2021.
What I'm saying is if we don't make the playoffs in fall 2021, it won't be because of too many Mahoning Valley players. 
I think Waid, Forest, Forest Gump, Anderson, Coates, McFadden, Troy Jakubec, Nick DeSalvo, and others can compete successfully in the MVFC.

County         1980 Pop   2019 Pop   Difference   % Change
Mahoning     289487   228683   -60804   -21%
Trumbull       241863   197974   -43889   -18%
Columniana   113572   101883   -11689   -10%