YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Beeghly Center

<< < (3/3)

Penguin Nick:
"Just remember that one good football game draws as much as all MBB games combined. Just a higher priority."

And also remember that football expenditures are much, much higher than basketball expenditures.

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nick on March 25, 2020, 01:29:10 PM ---"Just remember that one good football game draws as much as all MBB games combined. Just a higher priority."

And also remember that football expenditures are much, much higher than basketball expenditures.

--- End quote ---

Very good point Nick. Football loses money.mHelps having big fish who JT keeps happy and they keep the checkbook open.

Basketball needs to be the new priority.

Wick250:
I respect those of you who are basketball-centric. But could you please tell us where the money is going to come from for the improvements that you seek?  When was the last time a member of the donor class made a sizeable contribution to basketball?  I think you have to go back to the Monus gang.  All the improvements that Strollo has made to the gym came from portions of the money from the football blood games.

There are about 240 seats in the middle sections set aside for Penguin club members.  They are rarely half full.  Contrast that to the 29 football loges plus the new ones that were constructed last season. 

If the general population of the Mahoning Valley liked basketball as much as some of you do, high school hoops here would not be so horribly bad.  So no donors and little interest.  Good luck with your quest to make basketball the priority.  I want all of our sports to be successful, but it is helpful to remain grounded in reality.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
As for basketball donors, you can start with one of the assistant coaches father, who has deep pockets and has well connected wealthy friends.  Basketball has a long way to go, but is on the rise.  If we are serious about basketball, now is the time.

We are going to be a conference contender the next two years, and most of us believe we finally have the right coach.  Wright State and Northern KY have amazing facilities and a commitment to basketball.  My concern is that our athletic department does not know how to do this, Strollo and his crew are pathetic.  It would have to be led by outside community leaders who are committed to upgrading Beeghly.

I'll be the first to admit if proven wrong, but football is dead.  We are banking on a 52 year old journeyman coach, who recently was out of football for 8 years, and his claim to fame is being a running backs coach.  That is fact.  Also fact is that the job was bought for him.  I know this is beating a dead horse, BUT, he wasn't top 3 after the interviews in Canton.  His staff is not impressive.  I'll be rooting for him. However, I don't see this turning around.  Heacock, Wolford, and Pelini couldn't do it, but Phillips can?  I don't think so.

Basketball the way to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version