Author Topic: WOW the irony  (Read 11736 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
WOW the irony
« on: March 05, 2020, 07:59:41 AM »
Can't believe how the world of YSU sports has become so upside down!?

I believe it's a great thing that Track, Bowling, Baseball, WBB and even MBB (hasn't had an above .500 record since I was in diapers) are doing well. Football the $ sport and YSU's bread and butter has suffered so bad the last 19 years  :-X

Let's hope this is contagious and Football makes a come back!  fb

GoooooooGuins!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: WOW the irony
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 08:42:34 AM »

I believe it's a great thing that Track, Bowling, Baseball, WBB and even MBB (hasn't had an above .500 record since I was in diapers) are doing well. Football the $ sport and YSU's bread and butter has suffered so bad the last 19 years  :-X

GoooooooGuins!!
"Football the $ sport and YSU's bread and butter has suffered so bad the last 19 years  :-X"  A couple points, Football is BY FAR the most expensive sport for YSU and I would bet it is a money loser NOT maker.  Second, How may teams in 1AA football have a 12 win, National Final appearance while sufferin so badly?"   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »

GoooooooGuins!!
"Football the $ sport and YSU's bread and butter has suffered so bad the last 19 years  :-X"  A couple points, Football is BY FAR the most expensive sport for YSU and I would bet it is a money loser NOT maker.  Second, How may teams in 1AA football have a 12 win, National Final appearance while sufferin so badly?"

Ummm ok.

Even the 2016 season was kinda f***ed up with the ticket gate episode and all. Did you go to Frisco in 16?

I had 4 extra tickets my buddy here at Fort Knox (NDSU fan) gave me that I couldn't give away.

I meant this post to be a positive not a normal Youngstown sh** storm.

Carry on.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 11:00:35 AM »

GoooooooGuins!!

Ummm ok.

Even the 2016 season was kinda f***ed up with the ticket gate episode and all. Did you go to Frisco in 16?

I had 4 extra tickets my buddy here at Fort Knox (NDSU fan) gave me that I couldn't give away.

I meant this post to be a positive not a normal Youngstown sh** storm.

Carry on.
Bought tickets, was on a plane in Akron/Canton and the flight was canceled in the weather.  Later would have been after the game, so the short answer is "no" but we tried!  Ticketgate didn't bother me much. 

I look at Doug Phillips attitude to fans and community vs. Bo and I see nothing but improvement.  I look at "up and coming" effective assistant coaches and I see nothing but improvement.  Bo started with a bunch of tired veterans like Carl and Monty and thought is would all be easy and wasn't.  So he goes with kids with literally NO track record.  Now we have DP and I see somebody trying to build something.  Certainly the last 2 recruiting classes are the best in your 19 years, and we have an enthusiastic staff that has some idea what the are about for a change   And I see NOTHING but improvement on the horizon.  Somebody questions how we are better at QB this year than last.  Good grief, Mays COULDN'T PLAY, and Waid was limited to 4 appearances.  Now we have Mays doing whatever it is he's doing, and a red shirt freshmen with 4 productive outings under his belt and the highest rated recruit maybe in school history, and the question "how are we better" at QB?!?!?!  Sometimes I feel like dropping the blog altogether, and sometimes I feel like starting a go-fund-me to buy these guys tickets so they can watch the damn games!! 
I mean Nate Mays seems like a great kid, and the way the team treated him in his last game says they certainly respected him.  But dispute 1AA's constant prostrations, HE COULD NOT PLAY QB AT THIS LEVEL.  Nothing personal, I couldn't either, and it doesn't make me a bad person. But HE COULDN'T PLAY.  Waid can play, that's obvious and it remains to be seen about Crenshaw but there is real talent to work with.  Doug Phillips isn't a dummy, he wouldn't have walked into an empty cupboard.  He knows Crenshaw needs time and coaching, and he knows the OL is a mess, but he can see the light at the end of a tunnel isn't an on-coming train like most on this blog believe!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
 Go Guins, how is it obvious that Mark Waid can play?  He was redshirted last year, and his only playing time of significance was against Illinois State, we won that game by running the ball and great defense.  His only other offer was Fordham, and that is not exactly a football powerhouse.

Again, I repeat we lost league games by 25, 35, and 39 points.   Look at the teams above of us rosters, all young, except for Illinois State which had a huge senior class.   

South Dakota beat us by 35, and they return 14 starters, they do need to find a QB, and Hero Sports had them with a top ten recruiting class.  UNI, South Dakota State, and UNI are loaded.  Southern Illinois got screwed out of a playoff berth.  They won 5 straight and won their last five, and beat us by 25;  and by the way 16 starters return.

Yes Phillips doing all the right things in the community, that doesn't translate to wins.  Were were 2-6 in the conference!  This is a rebuild for Phillips, not a reload.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 07:12:37 PM »
Thank you Bo Pelini for the state of YSU football

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 07:31:47 PM »
Need to put more money into basketball. Can be a winner. Signs are already there with Calhoun.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 04:51:03 AM »
Football is the only sport that matters

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 07:03:22 AM »
Football is a loser, especially in FCS. Nobody cares anymore. The 90's are gone.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 07:48:28 AM »
Football is a loser, especially in FCS. Nobody cares anymore. The 90's are gone.

Nice Troll,, MBB sucks, always has, and always will. Lost in round 2 to a team that Larry, Moe, Curly, Stevie Wonder and Stephen Hawking (RIP) could have given a better game,, Just sayin  fb
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:03:39 AM by ysubigred »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 08:24:41 AM »
Need to put more money into basketball. Can be a winner. Signs are already there with Calhoun.
You guys and your "money" "money" "money"  So we can buy better players?  Yes, Beeghly could use all new seats and seating arrangement, but weight and training facilities and locker rooms are fine.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »

Nice Troll,, MBB sucks, always has, and always will. Lost in round 2 to a team that Larry, Moe, Curly, Stevie Wonder and Stephen Hawking (RIP) could have given a better game,, Just sayin  fb

And YSU had a home football playoff game and had 6,000 people. I love football but the interest is gone.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »

And YSU had a home football playoff game and had 6,000 people. I love football but the interest is gone.

Nice! Like I said at the top of the thread. I meant this to be a positive thread "BUT" in usual fashion the Raw Raw board makes it a Youngstown sh** storm  ;)

Let's keep it going,, 6K is 5,891 more than MBB brings in  :angel:

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
Go Guins, how is it obvious that Mark Waid can play?  He was redshirted last year, and his only playing time of significance was against Illinois State, we won that game by running the ball and great defense.  His only other offer was Fordham, and that is not exactly a football powerhouse.

Again, I repeat we lost league games by 25, 35, and 39 points.   Look at the teams above of us rosters, all young, except for Illinois State which had a huge senior class.   

South Dakota beat us by 35, and they return 14 starters, they do need to find a QB, and Hero Sports had them with a top ten recruiting class.  UNI, South Dakota State, and UNI are loaded.  Southern Illinois got screwed out of a playoff berth.  They won 5 straight and won their last five, and beat us by 25;  and by the way 16 starters return.

Yes Phillips doing all the right things in the community, that doesn't translate to wins.  Were were 2-6 in the conference!  This is a rebuild for Phillips, not a reload.
How do I know Waid can play?  I watched him. He can play.  Want to know a better way to know he can play?   Watch a replay of the Ill State game.  When he walked into the huddle the game changes 100% right on the spot.  The PLAYERS KNOW!  The PLAYERS ALWAYS KNOW!  You go back and look at all 4 times Waid came into the game, he MADE A DIFFERENCE!  His best performance?  NDSU.  Players play there best against the best. 

"His only other offer was Fordham"  I believe this to be correct, and 198 teams, including the Patriots 5 times passed on Tom Brady, so mistakes are made.  Ron Jaworski wasn't heavily recruited either and he managed 17 years and a Super Bowl in the NFL after his YSU career! 
Remember, I didn't say we'd win the MVFC or National Championship.  I said we'd compete for a playoff spot and nothing you point out sways me from that belief at all. 

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 09:21:46 AM »
   Chief gets ripped for being objective and stating his opinion.  Actually much of what he says is fact.  The current state of the football program is irrelevant.  In general, FCS football is irrelevant.

We have been average at best for two decades, and now a 52 year old coach who was no more than a running backs coach at Cincinnati is the savior?  With a coaching staff that has little or no experience at this level.  I get he is doing all the right things in the community, that means little if he can't win.  Had Bo produced a perennial playoff team then it wouldn't have mattered that he is a bully and did no community outreach.

Basketball is the rising star program.  The concern would be that Wright State and Northern KY invest a lot more money in basketball than YSU and have much better facillities.  That is hard to overcome, but we do have a great young coach in Calhoun.

I don't want to beat on Waid, but the post that he played well against North Dakota State is laughable.  He came  in when we were down by 40, and faced their JV team.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:22:45 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »