Author Topic: The Gerry Faust era I mean Tim Tyrrell era begins the joke is on us!  (Read 11842 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Who would have thought recruiting eighth graders to your high school was all it took to get a Div 1 college football HC job.  Somewhere Gerry Faust is smiling! 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:30:20 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The Gerry Faust era I mean Tim Tyrrell era begins the joke is on us!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 07:41:45 PM »
Who would have thought recruiting eighth graders to your high school was all it took to get a Div 1 college football HC job.  Somewhere Gerry Faust is smiling!

Glad to see you are taking a positive approach.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 07:43:01 PM »
What a clown post. Things like this make me rethink even posting on this site.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:47:15 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 08:50:21 PM »
Sorry I disagree and I won’t call anybody names I am better than that. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 09:04:29 PM »

Gerry’s last 3 years at ND  he went 7-5 7-5 and 5-6

In the last 3 years here Bo went 6-5, 4-7 and 6-6.

So, yeah apparently being a HS coach might actually be better qualifications than an FBS resume....

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 09:15:14 PM »
Good point lol!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 04:51:43 AM »
We should call the Bison and see how they would conduct a coaching search in this particular situation

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 07:18:43 AM »
We should call the Bison and see how they would conduct a coaching search in this particular situation

Since they are successful, they just want to keep the system going. That’s why their last two coaches have been promoted coordinators from their own team.

Kinda the same thing at Mount Union, they just want to keep things going so they promoted their offense coordinator.

Our situation is so different because we need a total culture change

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 08:21:06 AM »
  It can't be worse than the Pelini era.  Losing to Butler, 2-6 conference record this past year.  Let's be real, the Pelini era was a bust.  I give him all the credit in 2016, and the win at E. Washington one of the best in school history.  Other than that year, garbage.

Let's give Tyrrell a chance and support him.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
  It can't be worse than the Pelini era.  Losing to Butler, 2-6 conference record this past year.  Let's be real, the Pelini era was a bust.  I give him all the credit in 2016, and the win at E. Washington one of the best in school history.  Other than that year, garbage.

Let's give Tyrrell a chance and support him.

Credit for going to a NC game with Wolfords recruits! As they faded away so did his football teams. I WAS a big fan of Bo, I thought he could bring back YSU to the 90's glory days but I believe he left an empty cupboard for the next guy and this football program is now the laughing stock of all of 1FCS let alone the MVFC.

Bottom line: Bo was a miserable recruiter and the players he recruited were quitter's. No consistency, no heart no Grit like the saying goes (Grit U)  ::)

Moving on I'll support the new HC, actually with the state of the program we might not see results for quite a while   fb
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:17:13 AM by ysubigred »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 11:18:46 AM »

Since they are successful, they just want to keep the system going. That’s why their last two coaches have been promoted coordinators from their own team.

Kinda the same thing at Mount Union, they just want to keep things going so they promoted their offense coordinator.

Our situation is so different because we need a total culture change
Kandrase I'm not to going to argue the need for culture change. For it to go by the wayside so quickly following a 2016 championship run is very concerning. The first thing Chris Klieman would say is go back hire your OC that helped you get there. As for coach T...Really not in favor of a high school coach who gets penalties brought against him by the O.H.S.A.A. for running around to ELEMENTARY Schools in the greater Akron area telling the young boys they should convince their mommy and Daddy to send them to Hoban someday because we win. Blew the Massillon game this year..past on a field goal to tie..only to go for it on 4 and 6 and lose the game..Have fun!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 11:48:48 AM »
Seems to me there is a lot of talking out of both sides of the mouth here.
Bo is a terrible recruiter, which is terrible
Tim is a great recruiter, which is terrible.
Coaching helps, there is no question about that, but you can't be a consistent winner without players, and Tyrrell seems to be an effective recruiter.  He won't get every kid he goes after and he won't win every game, but based on his background and, this is important, WITH SUPPORT, he will get many of the kids and win most of the games.   If you can coach, you can coach.  If you can talk to kids and parents effectively, you can do that also.
Give Urban Meyer a under 125# team with a 2-6 record, inside 2 years they will be 6-2 and playing for their championship.  He can coach. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »
One of Tressel's great strengths while coach here was his ability to recognize and hire assistant coaches. The track record of those who started here and went on to success at higher level jobs is very solid. The relative lack of success of those who followed him and even Slocum on the basketball side partly due to the weakness of their staffs and their inability or unwillingness to improve them.  If the new coach is unable to find a staff that enhances his strengths and compensates for his weaknesses he will likely fail as well. I hope he is smart enough to ensure that he has the resources to hire a quality staff and the ability to recognize coaching talent that Tressel had.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 02:00:20 PM »
One of Tressel's great strengths while coach here was his ability to recognize and hire assistant coaches. The track record of those who started here and went on to success at higher level jobs is very solid. The relative lack of success of those who followed him and even Slocum on the basketball side partly due to the weakness of their staffs and their inability or unwillingness to improve them.  If the new coach is unable to find a staff that enhances his strengths and compensates for his weaknesses he will likely fail as well. I hope he is smart enough to ensure that he has the resources to hire a quality staff and the ability to recognize coaching talent that Tressel had.
If TT is as smart as we all hope he is, he'll use JT to assist with asst. coaches!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »
If TT is as smart as we all hope he is, he'll use JT to assist with asst. coaches!

TT is way smarter than we thought not taking a welfare paying job at the state of Youngstown  >:(