Author Topic: Signing Day 2020  (Read 44097 times)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Signing Day 2020
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2020, 05:30:51 PM »
Kent St signed 5 players within a 40 mile radius of their campus. Out of those 5 players none were offered by YSU

Pessimistic: Bo probably figured out that none of these 5 guys will come to YSU.
Optimistic: Bo probably figured out that none of these 5 guys are good enough for YSU.

Lets see,,, Go to a MAC school and play on national TV Tue, and Wed nights or come to YSU and hang out with Bo  :angel:

Go to a school with a history that includes 4 national titles or go to a school that will never get the chance to compete for a meaningful championship? I dunno, I guess the TV thing is a big deal, but Mount Union gets to play on national TV almost ever year too.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2020, 07:12:08 PM »
Well if we were able to get Tariq here with 7 other Mac offers surely we could of got some of those players if we just threw a offer out. I consider Tariq a upper FBS player the others were probably between upper FCS lower level FBS talent. Just the type of kids we need here to compete in the MVC. Not sure who did the recruiting here , but it was just a disaster. To many lower level FCS and upper D2 players coming in if you ask me . I have total faith that Phillips will get the recruiting fixed around here. Not sure what's really in it for the MAC players other then jumping on a plane and playing in front of 3 large crowds a year that's the only thing I can think of

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2020, 07:30:34 PM »
Well if we were able to get Tariq here with 7 other Mac offers surely we could of got some of those players if we just threw a offer out. I consider Tariq a upper FBS player the others were probably between upper FCS lower level FBS talent. Just the type of kids we need here to compete in the MVC. Not sure who did the recruiting here , but it was just a disaster. To many lower level FCS and upper D2 players coming in if you ask me . I have total faith that Phillips will get the recruiting fixed around here. Not sure what's really in it for the MAC players other then jumping on a plane and playing in front of 3 large crowds a year that's the only thing I can think of

I agree, we should definitely be going after a lot of the same kids as the MAC, the talent in our conference is just as good just maybe a little less deep. There are compelling reasons to choose YSU over Kent and Akron, I hope this coaching staff can learn how to communicate those reasons effectively.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2020, 08:45:36 AM »
Kent St signed 5 players within a 40 mile radius of their campus. Out of those 5 players none were offered by YSU

Pessimistic: Bo probably figured out that none of these 5 guys will come to YSU.
Optimistic: Bo probably figured out that none of these 5 guys are good enough for YSU.

Lets see,,, Go to a MAC school and play on national TV Tue, and Wed nights or come to YSU and hang out with Bo  :angel:

Go to a school with a history that includes 4 national titles or go to a school that will never get the chance to compete for a meaningful championship? I dunno, I guess the TV thing is a big deal, but Mount Union gets to play on national TV almost ever year too.

A bit of sarcasm and a lot of truth to my statement. Brother Bo is no longer a HC at YSU due to many reasons but one major reason was recruiting. Secondly, the school history only rings true to us old timers the casual fan even in Y-town sadly still thinks 1FCS is D II and Can't states appearance on ESPN right before Thanks giving until Christmas sways more recruits than YSU's 90's NC at 1AA. Mount Union wow you are reaching  ;)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2020, 08:55:54 AM »

[/quote]

A bit of sarcasm and a lot of truth to my statement. Brother Bo is no longer a HC at YSU due to many reasons but one major reason was recruiting. Secondly, the school history only rings true to us old timers the casual fan even in Y-town sadly still thinks 1FCS is D II and Can't states appearance on ESPN right before Thanks giving until Christmas sways more recruits than YSU's 90's NC at 1AA. Mount Union wow you are reaching  ;)
[/quote]
There are 2 MILLION reasons Bo is not the HC at YSU.  We were 6-6 last year primarily because of recruiting issues, but if we were 9-3 and made the playoffs, Bo would STILL be the DC at LSU for the same 2 MILLION reasons!  ALWAYS remember the words of the greatest American philosopher of the 21th century, Cuba Gooding Jr. "Show me the MONEY!" 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2020, 09:14:43 AM »

Yes Mount Union example was a reach but it’s true, Kent and Akron aren’t the only local schools who get national TV coverage. I just don’t want us to use TV as an excuse. I think a motivated coaching staff can certainly overcome the MAC TV bump. And beating Akron next year would also be huge for recruiting

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2020, 03:52:31 PM »

Yes Mount Union example was a reach but it’s true, Kent and Akron aren’t the only local schools who get national TV coverage. I just don’t want us to use TV as an excuse. I think a motivated coaching staff can certainly overcome the MAC TV bump. And beating Akron next year would also be huge for recruiting

I don't live in the area so "IF" I remember and they make it to the Stag bowl then yes once a year for me.