Author Topic: Changes...and I don't mean the Bowie song either!  (Read 27052 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Changes...and I don't mean the Bowie song either!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 09:08:45 AM »
OK...back to the original question...any changes?  The only thing I saw was a pic of Bo and Tressel with Crenshaw from Pickerington...didn't see any of those types of posts before.  Although I am not convinced he is all in still. We will find out in February I guess if pulls the trigger on any coaches.   
I don't know Bo any better than you do from watching him on the sideline and press conferences, which is to say not at all.  BUT I know he doesn't like to lose and he doesn't like to recruit.  These "kid coordinators" aren't helping with either, and so they are going to be gone.  They are giving Carl credit for Crenshaw, and that is a HUGE "get," and Carl is the key now.  I hope we see Carl moving back to D which should really help, and somebody from outside, maybe a HS guy with spread experience coming to take over the O. I would have suggested Pearson from Girard, but with Crenshaw, that seems very unlikely.  If they took a younger HS guy and had some success, that makes a smooth transition when Bo wants to hang them up.   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 11:23:12 PM »
Wouldn't expect major coaching changes. Bo likes the young kids for recruiting so he doesn't have to. Carl is taking a bigger role but I think that'll be it.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2019, 08:28:03 AM »
  There will be no major changes, I am hearing from someone who would know that Pelini will keep Brian Crist on the staff, but he is being demoted.  But rather than hire a competent offensive coordinator, Pelini and his brother will run the offense.   Both Bo and Carl have a defensive background, but they are going to run the offense.

This is the arrogance of Pelini, he thinks he knows all and his lack of a strong staff is a part of he reason he has not been successful here.  The defense was a shambles for much of the season and to not address that side of the ball shows that Pelini  doesn't get it.   With Waid and potentially a talented incoming freshman QB, we need a bright, creative offensive mind running the offense.

Carl had a lot of say on offense last year, how did that work?   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 10:01:35 AM »
Bo has basically handed a lot of responsibility over to Carl (recruiting, play calling)

No coincidence since Carl is going to be head coach in waiting once Bo leaves

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2019, 03:23:55 PM »
  There will be no major changes, I am hearing from someone who would know that Pelini will keep Brian Crist on the staff, but he is being demoted.  But rather than hire a competent offensive coordinator, Pelini and his brother will run the offense.   Both Bo and Carl have a defensive background, but they are going to run the offense.

This is the arrogance of Pelini, he thinks he knows all and his lack of a strong staff is a part of he reason he has not been successful here.  The defense was a shambles for much of the season and to not address that side of the ball shows that Pelini  doesn't get it.   With Waid and potentially a talented incoming freshman QB, we need a bright, creative offensive mind running the offense.

Carl had a lot of say on offense last year, how did that work?

Nothing wrong with the offensive scheme last year. Much better than the previous year. It was talent-level and lack of front line & quality run game. However, that falls under Crist as well. If they are not going to bring in a quality OC, then keep Crist. Sounds like Bo does not think his D is even an issue. There was our main problem. Not saying the O was good, but it was a vast improvement. After the last few games, I am still a Craycraft fan vs Waid. Another season will tell.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 05:49:15 PM »
https://www.ketv.com/article/maurice-washington-finished-as-nebraska-cornhusker/30392485

Maybe Bo can stir up some clandestine Nebraska connection and lure him here. Does have a legal issue but we have dealt with that before.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 10:03:46 PM »
Need to put Carl back to DC and fire at least two of these three, D'Alesio, Baker and Gomes.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 07:18:59 PM »
Need to put Carl back to DC and fire at least two of these three, D'Alesio, Baker and Gomes.
A very solid idea but not likely I'm afraid. I wish it was.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 11:15:50 AM »
Go Guins, Pelini is 18-22 in conference play.  This past year his defense gave up 56, 56, 38, and 35 in four of the six conference losses, three of those games blow outs.  Embarrassed by South Dakota.

His team was 2-6 in the conference.  Other than 2016, what do you like about his 5 years.   He lost to Butler!!

Who says 2 great recruiting classes?  LOL.
Which is to say, yes he did make it to Frisco so it wan't 5 garbage years in a row!  (I said 2 great classes, you can say LOL and root against YSU, but I remain positive)  Other than NDSU the combined record of in conference MVFC teams is -34 games or 4 games below .500 on average.   YSU is "average" over Bo's tenure.  I'm not any happier missing the playoffs than you are, and we need to do better, but it isn't "terrible" and I expect great things going forward.  Remember he won 9 games every year playing in the Big 10, so we should be hopeful. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 02:22:44 PM »
Bo was coaching in the weak division of the Big 10.  He would've had the same .500 record he has now had he coached in the Big 10 East

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 02:40:03 PM »
Bo was coaching in the weak division of the Big 10.  He would've had the same .500 record he has now had he coached in the Big 10 East
You're reaching.  Not sure why, but I do you hate Coach Pelini that much?  He averaged 9-1/2 wins a season for 7 years and the only reason was the Legends was weak?  He had a winning record in bowl games, was that because the Legends was weak also?  Your argument is weak.   

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 09:32:56 PM »
You're reaching.  Not sure why, but I do you hate Coach Pelini that much?  He averaged 9-1/2 wins a season for 7 years and the only reason was the Legends was weak?  He had a winning record in bowl games, was that because the Legends was weak also?  Your argument is weak.

He has never won more than 6 games with his recruits at our level.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 09:59:08 PM »
In his fifth year, Pelini should have built this program into a consistent winner.  Instead, we experienced humiliating losses to South Dakota, Southern Illinois, and Indiana State, to say nothing about the second half meltdown against SDSU and the joke of an effort against NDSU.  How can anybody be confident that next season will bring positive change?  The first step to improving a bad program is recognizing that you have a bad program.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 10:15:28 PM »
Next year will tell all for Bo

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 11:26:06 PM »
Its hard to give Bo a vote of confidence after 2019.  You cant defend Bo or the administration for the current condition of the program.  Hopefully he has the game changers on the way that YSU needs to turn this around. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:28:14 PM by goodnews »