Author Topic: The Steel Tire  (Read 26723 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The Steel Tire
« on: February 13, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
Announced 20 minutes ago on Twitter... Penguins play Akron for opener in 2020. The Steel tire is back baby!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: The Steel Tire
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »
If there is no return game... I have no interest and I doubt this will be a trophy game. Just means that we are having trouble scheduling a money game. We could very easily lose a game like this, which would be very bad for our post-season chances should we be borderline for a selection.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 04:11:24 PM »
IAA I know your feelings on the matter, but since I live and work in Akron now I'm excited. All my fellow ysu grads at work are going and all the Akron grads are gonna go. This is already spreading like wildfire at work. Gonna be for some serious bragging rights. I for one am excited and going to look at the bright side.

After all, can't be worried about losing this. The 2019 season has not even started let alone 2020

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 04:16:18 PM »
Can confirm from the Akron announcement this is a one off money game. No home and home.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 04:36:53 PM »
Bout time. Time to beat these chumps.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 04:39:28 PM »
No return game at YSU. Akron, and other FBS schools no interest in playing an FCS team in the road. Tressel got this done. It beats playing 3 stiffs at home.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:40:28 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 05:13:19 PM »
Finally!  Tressel used Akron as the signature game and used it to get us to the next level.  Can Pelini do the same?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
I did not wish to sound so negative in my last post; but the truth is that Akron will be lucky to be outside of the bottom-25 in any given year. The expectation for any quality I-AA team would be to easily defeat the Zips.

Now maybe it has been a while, but there are still some feelings of a rivalry out there and that makes this game much more difficult for YSU, than any other I-AA/FCS team. The MAC is not paying us what we could get from a major conference. Sure, I like having a close away venue, but with no return game and less cash than another IA/FBS club would pay pay us…there is simply no good reason to play this game.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:30:43 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
I did not wish to sound so negative in my last post; but the truth is that Akron will be lucky to be outside of the bottom-25 in any given year. The expectation for any quality I-AA team would be to easily defeat the Zips.

Now maybe it has been a while, but there are still some feelings of a rivalry out there and that makes this game much more difficult for YSU, than any other I-AA/FCS team. The MAC is not paying us what we could get from a major conference. Sure, I like having a close away venue, but with no return game and less cash than another IA/FBS club would pay pay us…there is simply no good reason to play this game.

Just stop. There’s been more excitement and buzz around this game in the 2 hours since it’s been announced than playing Duquesne or Bobby Morris at home ever will.

Beating Akron in Akron and getting paid to do it ? Sign me up.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 06:21:30 PM »
Exciting. Better than playing a joke team. Plus we can drive there in 1 hour.  Rather play a power 5 team but we have a chance to beat a 1a team.  Who is Akrons new coach?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
Exciting. Better than playing a joke team. Plus we can drive there in 1 hour.  Rather play a power 5 team but we have a chance to beat a 1a team.  Who is Akrons new coach?

Tom Arth. Former John Carroll head coach.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »
Do not like it at all, they put the screws to us and I have a long memory. No home game, no interest.

They are very low level 1A, if we win not a lot of upside unless we really blow them out. If we lose it looks bad to the playoff selection committee, hurts local recruiting and will tick me off.

Will have to see what the payday will be but will be surprised if it is worth getting excited about.

With our difficult league schedule a loss to Florida would be better than a possible loss to the zits.

I doubt that I will go to the game, no interest in contributing money to their athletic department after they put the screws to us. Like I said I have a long memory.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 11:29:35 PM »
Do not like it at all, they put the screws to us and I have a long memory. No home game, no interest.

They are very low level 1A, if we win not a lot of upside unless we really blow them out. If we lose it looks bad to the playoff selection committee, hurts local recruiting and will tick me off.

Will have to see what the payday will be but will be surprised if it is worth getting excited about.

With our difficult league schedule a loss to Florida would be better than a possible loss to the zits.

I doubt that I will go to the game, no interest in contributing money to their athletic department after they put the screws to us. Like I said I have a long memory.

Who cares, get over it. YSU never was and never will be FBS football. Those schools will not come here to play us anymore. Not in this day. You don't like playing at Akron but playing non scholly Butler and losing at home is ok ?

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »
Take the money. Win the game.  A big crowd will put a lot of pressure on Akron and Kent to rethink what they are doing and the subsidies they pay for their sports programs. It is about time universities listen to customer interest on who they schedule. 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 10:27:56 AM »
I’m pumped. Regardless of all the other baggage it’s the first rivalry type game YSU football has had since I’ve been a fan. if we lose it might hurt local recruiting slightly but it would mostly just reinforce what local recruits already think about YSU vs MAC. However if we win... and win convincingly like I expect we will it’ll be a HUGE recruitment tool for us. I see very little downside to this game