Author Topic: Carmon Bricillo and Justus Reed  (Read 13119 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Carmon Bricillo and Justus Reed
« on: February 12, 2019, 08:06:40 AM »
Carmen Bricillo joining NFL’s New England Patriots

By Brian Dzenis

bdzenis@vindy.com

The New England Patriots have added another piece from Youngstown State.

Penguins offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo is heading to the NFL as an assistant offensive line coach, multiple sources familiar with the matter said. He had been with YSU for the past nine seasons.

He joins former Penguin players Derek Rivers and Damoun Patterson in New England. The Mahoning Valley connections with the Patriots don’t end there as Cardinal Mooney and Ohio State graduate John Simon suited up for the Patriots as they won their sixth Super Bowl on Feb. 3, beating the Los Angeles Rams, 13-3. Simon is set to become a free agent in March.

Patriots head coach Bill Belicheck’s father, Steve, grew up in Struthers.

YSU athletic director Ron Strollo said he could neither confirm nor deny that Bricillo had left for the NFL. Head coach Bo Pelini did not return a call for comment on the matter. In his National Signing Day press conference on Wednesday, he was asked if he had spoken with Rivers and Patterson following the Super Bowl. Pelini said no, but said he took a phone call from Belicheck Wednesday morning, but did not provide specifics on what the call was about. The Patriots did not respond to requests for comment.

Bricillo joined the Penguins as part of former head coach Eric Wolford’s staff in 2010. He spent one season with Illinois and three with Akron before coming to Youngstown. During his tenure, YSU passed for at least 2,000 yards each season and cleared 2,000 yards rushing in all but one year. In 2018, guard Gavin Wiggins was a first-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference selection with center Vitas Hrynkiewicz taking second-team honors. Running back Tevin McCaster ran for a career-high 1,235 yards.

ONE MORE YEAR

Defensive end Justus Reed is receiving a sixth year of eligibility via a medical redshirt, the team confirmed Monday afternoon.

Reed tore his Achilles’ tendon last July, weeks before fall camp was set to start and missed the entire season. He transferred to YSU from Florida after spending three years with the Gators, including one redshirt year. He appeared in seven games for the Penguins in 2017, collecting 15 tackles, including five sacks. He was limited by an arm injury that year.

Reed is the second player in program history to get a sixth year. Former wideout Jelani Berassa was with the Penguins from 2009 through 2014, collecting two medical redshirts from knee injuries he suffered during fall camp in 2010 and 2012.

Don't Miss a Story
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Carmon Bricillo and Justus Reed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »
A little late in the process to find a new O-Line coach. Yikes.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:55:49 AM »
Yea the timing says everything I think that is wrong with our program. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »
1st Stoops, now Bricillo....

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:57:36 AM »

Could Carl replace them?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »

Could Carl replace them?

McKissic-Luke is taking over special teams for Stoops. I mean Carl has always been a defensive guy so I'm not sure. Usually you want a former O-Lineman to work with the kids up front.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 01:46:22 PM »
Yea the timing says everything I think that is wrong with our program.

??? What is negative in this?  The fact that we can't compete with the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots of the NFL is some how negative.  If anything I think it is a positive.  Yes losing Carmen at this date is a short term negative, but do you want coaches nobody else wants?  You have me at a complete disadvantage as I simply don't understand what you are saying at all.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »
I could careless that he left.  I am happy for him.  But we are starting Spring practice and are we going to have a credible offensive line coach?.  Having a coach at any level of college football leaving right before Spring practice isn’t ideal.  Our offense is a BIG question mark especially with him retaining Crist and know we might get a Delisio type hire at For the line coach.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:54:45 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 07:25:31 PM »
Maybe Muransky or Devecchio (sp?) can step in until a replacement is named.... Surely someone is  out there!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 09:08:11 AM »
OK people, we lost an OL coach.  This is NOT the end of the world.  If we have a concern, it should be about who, if anybody, is going to be coached?   
This is the way football goes.  Season ends.  Head Coaches get fired.  New coached are hired or promoted.  New
 HC;s hire their own assistants.  Assistants get hired and promoted.  All that happens BETWEEN the end of the season and the start of spring practice.  As long as we've had spring practices that's what's gone on.  The Browns have just hired about 12 new coaches within the last couple weeks.  That creates a bunch of openings somewhere.  NE just hired an OL guy to fill an opening.  If I recall, one of those new Browns assts, Mike Priefer, started his career at good ol' YSU as OT, TE and Special Teams coach.  Now that's about 3-4 coaches jobs.  Two points:  Bo is a dues paying member of the "good old boys network".  He'll have a list of qualified available candidates already.  2.  We have about twice the number of assistants that Tressel had in the 90's, we'll have enough experienced coaches to get started in spring ball!  Good grief we are WAY ahead of last season staff wise.  We had two brand new coordinators. They have one full year with most of there players and have returned Carl to help out to boot.  FAR ahead of LY.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »
Trouble is brewing.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »
I just laugh how some of us diehards live in the 90!s still.  I GET COACHES leave all the time.  But it’s not like we are Alabama or the Bison and can get a top flight replacement this late in the game.  We pay peanuts and it looks like to me Pelini isn’t a guy that a up and coming coach wants to work for.   
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 11:29:44 AM »
Trouble is brewing.
Bo being Bo, or something new?  To my knowledge Bo has NOT signed a new contract, so we don't have a head coach yet, who cares about the OL guy?
"Trouble brewing" Bo doesn't sign but we do have Carl as the interim HC.  How ironic is that?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:56:23 AM by go guins »

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 01:30:26 PM »
Trouble is brewing.
Bo being Bo, or something new?  To my knowledge Bo has NOT signed a new contract, so we don't have a head coach yet, who cares about the OL guy?
"Trouble brewing" Bo doesn't sign but we do have Carl as the interim HC.  How ironic is that?

Coaches coaching without a signed extension is nothing new in college athletics. 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 10:40:41 AM »
I'm confused. Losing an O-line coach is EOW? Hell the YSU O-line couldn't block their way out of a wet paper bag the last few years according to all you experts on here. This coach leaving maybe a blessing in disguise. O-Line is not rocket science  :o