Author Topic: YSU MBB vs Detriot Mercy  (Read 6673 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU MBB vs Detriot Mercy
« on: December 27, 2018, 06:01:39 PM »
First league contest tomorrow. Both teams have similar records and both lost to Akron and WMU.  So I guess it should be a close game.  We will see if the preseason has improved our squad.  Predictions?  Have not seen a line as yet.  Seems like the coaches son is their top scorer.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU MBB vs Detriot Mercy
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 08:05:17 AM »
  Detroit is awful.  YSU needs to win this game at home.  Line is YSU -1.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:47:52 AM »
Definitely need to win this game, but YSU has struggled with Detroit amazingly losing 11 straight.  Detroit has seemingly always been more athletic & seemed like would shoot well against YSU.  With us being more athletic this year, at home after a week and half off, would nice to come out and play well to get league play off to a good start. 

Looking ahead to Sunday, Oakland's non-conference record was the same as YSU and have lost 4 straight.  Looking at their schedule though they had losses to UNLV, Xavier, Georgia and Michigan St.  Other than Michigan St, the other 3 were losses by 13 or less.  They also lost to Toledo by 1, Western Michigan in OT, and Hartford by 5 in a game they led by 8 with 10 mins to go.  They play Cleveland St. tonight.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:58:42 AM »
Detroit owns the series 38-9 vs YSU. Yikes...

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 01:53:01 PM »
Anyone know why Naz isn't dressed?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »
Also, Devin Morgan hasn't played in the first half. Lacking intensity, too many turnovers & no answer for Davis

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 03:56:38 PM »
We just have no inside game.  We have trouble getting open outside shots! No dribble penetration and any pass inside is contested and often stolen.  We pass the ball around beyond the 3 point line.  Too bad. And no Devin Morgan, not sure why.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 05:56:08 PM »
Apparently Naz was sick & they didn't know he couldn't play until a couple hours before game time.  No word on Morgan.  Just can't win turning the ball over as many times as we seem to do over and over again.  I actually thought when we took the lead the tide was turning.  Press was working and seemed to be wearing them down plus Davis seemed to be off for a stretch then they hit a couple big 3's and we had some bad turnovers.  Had a lot of opportunities inside and some wide open jumpers that we couldn't knock down.  The end of the game was pretty much like the first half.   No matter the circumstances, Detroit just seems to have YSU's #.  At least we are doing a nice job at the foul line this year.  Hard to imagine being able to compete with Oakland if we don't have Naz & Morgan.   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
We just stink and no indication we are going to improve the program. Detroit sucks and we suck more

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 11:03:50 PM »
If the team doesnt find some success by the end of the year there will surely be more players leaving the program.  The style of basketball that the coach has chosen to play is tough mentally especially as the losses mount.  The coach sold this style from day 1 and the AD fell hook line and sinker. Hope it works out but im not very optimistic.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 11:36:42 PM »
This is basically year 1 for Calhoun if we're being honest. Last year was a complete wash. This year is ground zero.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 11:39:00 PM »
If the team doesnt find some success by the end of the year there will surely be more players leaving the program.  The style of basketball that the coach has chosen to play is tough mentally especially as the losses mount.  The coach sold this style from day 1 and the AD fell hook line and sinker. Hope it works out but im not very optimistic.

I think it's going to be crucial to have some success & not lose a bunch transferring next year. Hard to put a lot of stock in his game with basically 2 starters out & something YSU wasn't expecting. I think this group has potential if it stays together but if it not it could turn into what Slocum dealt with.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:40:11 PM by mudclods »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 11:58:46 PM »
Listened to the post-game press conference & apparently Naz is dealing with a potentially serious health problem. He's out for Sunday & is getting further tests on Monday or Tuesday. Not good.

Morgan didn't play due to a coach's decision. Sounded practice related. Sounded like Coach isn't happy with a couple players & said they won't play.

Also Ola apparently had a good friend pass away on the court in the last couple days.

Sounds like a lot going on & probably explains what I felt like was a lack of intensity for much of the game.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 12:51:26 AM »
Like i said the defections will continue.  We live in a disposable world and this coach has made it clear. His way or your gone. Trust me millennials have no problem transferring or quitting. They dont give a damn. There needs to be a balance and compromise for coaches and players.  The coach has no problem airing the dirty laundry.  Hope it doesnt back fire!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 09:40:02 AM by goodnews »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 09:16:10 AM »
I was fortunate that I had to work and didn't see the game.   Not sure Detroit is a top Horizon team and for them to come into Beeghley and win by double digits is not going to get the fan base out to support this program.

We can't say that we let a couple games get away that we should of won.  I heard some say that about Central & Western Michigan and now Detroit.  Got to defend your home floor if winning on the road is few or never. 
Not sure what direction the program is heading.  Coach said that Morgan had all league potential and now he doesn't play and has been a back up to Quisenberry who as a freshmen has played well but has close to the same amount of turnovers to assists.

Bottom line is Coach Calhoun has to get this team ready to play.  Not sure the present roster stacks up to the others in the league.  Hope i'm proved wrong and beating Oakland on Sunday would help.