Author Topic: The Football program is broke and time to overhaul the Athletic Department!  (Read 13232 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Good coaches recruit, make adjustments in game, and game plan to their talent, and opponent.  YSU staff this year would get an F.  We are soooo behind the eight ball that a few little tweaks won’t be enough.  The line coach should be fired. Stoops should be fired, hell the all need fired. I hit the number on the nose on 4 wins this year.  I as a alum, former penguin club member who will not donate another dime till we completely overhaul the Athletic department, and the Football program.  We are in the Wrong conference, no rivalries to build a fan base.  I can go on and on.  1k in the stands for Senior day is unacceptable.  It needs to be fixed. IT starts at the top and the Athletic Dept. needs a new vision and house needs to cleaned. From marketing and deciding if the conferences we are in are really where we need to be.  If we can’t afford good coaches we will NEVER compete at a championship level.  We are out of home town discounts.  You lost me as a diehard yesterday I didn’t even watch it live I did holiday stuff. I haven’t even watched the tape yet.  If you lost a diehard like me why the hell would anybody else want to be a fan etc.  signed a distressed YSU fan!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Incarnate Word made it at 6-4 from the Southland conference, they were a Div 2 school what 5 yrs ago.  Duquesne made it. But we sit home again.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Incarnate Word made it at 6-4 from the Southland conference, they were a Div 2 school what 5 yrs ago.  Duquesne made it. But we sit home again.

Don't hold your breath waiting for sweeping change. It may very well be needed but I don't see anyone having the cajones enough to pull the trigger.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
It's embarrassing but nothing will happen.

I've been going to games for 20+ years and I did not attend 1 this year.

Basketball season.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
I also used to go to all of the home games but, I attended ZERO this year.  I 100% agree.  The team is boring to watch.  I may never return unless big changes are made. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
They don't care about the average fan. Building more suites to cater to the big donors and get that money.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
They couldn't even get the scoreboard working at Beeghly the other night during the women's game. Had to play with a small digital clock and shot clock sitting on the scorers table. And this is supposed to be a D1 university ? Cmon.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Bottom line is the program has regressed the last two seasons under the direction of Bo Pelini. The lack of discipline and decline in culture is evident. There is know consistency with what the players and coaches do on a weekly basis. We have a nice win against a playoff team in U.N.I..play pretty much even with the top two teams in our conference only to finish 4-7..Just blows my mind. Hell the WKBN announcers have a better idea what's going on then the coaches do half the time, yet some people think Bo is the one and only option for YSU . Only game I went to this year was Butler and haven't been back since and don't plan on going again unless significant changes are made
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:46:17 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
  All good points.  Sadly, I agree, nothing will be done.  As great as President Tressel is, he is loyal to a fault.  Ron Strollo played for him, and was hand picked to be AD by Tressel.  Strollo is safe as long as Tressel is here.

Pelini will be back by default.  Not only does Strollo not have it in his DNA to potentially fire him, he won't even insist that Pelini make changes 

It is pathetic.  But I don't see much change.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
I don't know. I see lots of changes, just none that seem to be working.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The Football program is broke and time to overhaul the Athletic Department!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 10:19:24 AM »
Shane Montgomery should be available? Do we bring him back.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Northcoast Penguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
Haven't been on this site for quite some time.  Really enjoy all of the comments.  I too used to be a Penguin Club member in the late 90's only to withdraw in the Heacock era due to the drive from Mentor, OH and the regress of the program.  Was not worth the investment or time.

Decided to attend my first game vs. Northern Iowa this in respect of the Seniors.  A couple of observations reinforced all of your comments over the season.  Keep in mind, due to the low attendance, that I sat in Section 3, Row 10 behind the Defense Players bench:

I noticed players actually DANCING to the music during the game and having conversations that nothing to do about the game.  In other words, they were not fully engaged in the activities on the football field.

Granted it was Senior Day, but since when were the players permitted to talk to acquaintances DURING THE GAME. Again, mind was not engaged into the game.

Whatever happened to the "Beehive" as player exited and entered the field?  The players came onto the field in groups, by themselves right to the sidelines.  I overheard Bo yell, as he was putting on his headset, "Let's go..get the blood flowing".  Why aren't they warming up as a group.  Mentor High School football program has better cohesiveness that the Penguins.

Very disappointing....It appearead that NO ONE was into the game.  That is the coaches fault.  Very toxic environment, IMO, and that culture is going to take a long time to change.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »
Haven't been on this site for quite some time.  Really enjoy all of the comments.  I too used to be a Penguin Club member in the late 90's only to withdraw in the Heacock era due to the drive from Mentor, OH and the regress of the program.  Was not worth the investment or time.

Decided to attend my first game vs. Northern Iowa this in respect of the Seniors.  A couple of observations reinforced all of your comments over the season.  Keep in mind, due to the low attendance, that I sat in Section 3, Row 10 behind the Defense Players bench:

I noticed players actually DANCING to the music during the game and having conversations that nothing to do about the game.  In other words, they were not fully engaged in the activities on the football field.

Granted it was Senior Day, but since when were the players permitted to talk to acquaintances DURING THE GAME. Again, mind was not engaged into the game.

Whatever happened to the "Beehive" as player exited and entered the field?  The players came onto the field in groups, by themselves right to the sidelines.  I overheard Bo yell, as he was putting on his headset, "Let's go..get the blood flowing".  Why aren't they warming up as a group.  Mentor High School football program has better cohesiveness that the Penguins.

Very disappointing....It appearead that NO ONE was into the game.  That is the coaches fault.  Very toxic environment, IMO, and that culture is going to take a long time to change.
I was about 10 rows behind you (unknowing at the time, of course) and support what you say.  The funny thing is, that was our most inspired effort of the year!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 07:14:03 PM »
Sounds like I will have my pick of seats next year. Yes I will be at every game.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 09:30:08 AM »
Well Guinpen, same here.  I have mentioned this before ...my father purchased seats back in 1983, when faculty & staff were offered them for life, of course you still have to pay each year, but they are great seats. I will still be there, just as all fans should. If you are able and do not attend, I feel that you do not have a right to comment. Taking away resources (by not buying tickets, tailgate seats, souvenirs, food, etc.) does not help.

[boring story with a point] My mother is a typical old-school "Youngstowner" ... member of an old Irish family that argues over everything, on every Holiday. This year she is not attending Thanksgiving, as she is upset with my Aunt. Yet, she is criticizing the fact that we are having the dinner catered from Kroger, instead of making it ourselves ... LOL. She even complained because I ordered a tofu turkey for my son-in-law, this is on top of regular turkey, ham & roast beef. I said mom, why do you care if you are not going? If you have the same type of family ... you know she is not going to change even if she does not eat with the family. Yet if she was sitting down to eat with us and talking about the dinner as part of the dinner conversation, everyone would listen to her, whether they wanted to or not ;)

Same thing applies here. when you sit down with Ron Strollo at a Penguin Club function, you get a lot more addressed than just complaining. Renew your season tickets, join the Penguin club and express your ideas. Strollo is not going to post on this board, but he is going to shake your hand and talk with you at events. I was sitting at a basketball game and he just game down and sat beside me. He surely does not even remember my name, but he knows my face because I participate. Boycotting is not going to change anything ...participate and you become the decision-maker. Participation is not showing your approval of the team's performance.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:03:59 PM by IAA Fan »