Author Topic: Basketball Names Brady Trenkle Assistant Coach  (Read 3249 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Basketball Names Brady Trenkle Assistant Coach
« on: September 20, 2018, 09:23:14 AM »
Brady Trenkle, a successful junior college head coach for the last eight years, has been named an assistant coach on the Youngstown State men's basketball staff, Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun announced on Monday.

"We're really excited about bring Brady Trenkle on to our staff," Calhoun said. "He's going to benefit us in a variety of ways. He will help us in all facets of the program, including on-floor coaching, scouting, recruiting and player development."

Trenkle, who owns an eight-year junior college coaching record of 149-102, comes to YSU after spending the last four years as the Head Men's Basketball coach at Garden City Community College.  During his time at GCCC, Trenkle amassed a four-year record of 77-50. Last season, Trenkle led the Broncobusters to an overall record of 21-12 and a trip to the Region VI semifinals.

In his first year as head coach his team went 22-9 and finished tied for third in the Jayhawk West Conference.  That was the best record at GCCC since the 2008-09 season and the best finish in the Jayhawk West Conference since the 2004-05 season. His team also finished at the top in several statistical categories in Region VI (first in field-goal percentage defense, first in defensive rebounding, first in turnover margin, second in rebounding margin, third in scoring defense, and fourth in scoring margin).     

Prior to GCCC, Trenkle spent four years at the helm of Dodge City Community College. During his four seasons at Dodge City, Trenkle coached his teams to a combined record of 72-52.  He coached six All-Jayhawk West players and seven All-Region VI selections. Trenkle also saw multiple players go on to compete at the four-year level including several NCAA Division I signees.

Prior to being named the head coach at Dodge City, Trenkle served as an assistant for four years in the Conquistador program for Brian Hoberecht. During his time with Hoberecht, the Conquistadors advanced to the semifinals of the Region VI Tournament twice and won two Jayhawk West titles.

Trenkle also served as an assistant at College of Eastern Utah and Seward County Community College for two years apiece. In his time at Seward County the Saints won one Jayhawk West title.  As a coach in the Jayhawk West Conference, Trenkle was been a member of three Jayhawk West Championships.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Names Brady Trenkle Assistant Coach
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:40:57 AM »
Great!  I'm excited for basketball and looking for big improvements this year...what say you?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Names Brady Trenkle Assistant Coach
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 06:49:26 PM »
Great!  I'm excited for basketball and looking for big improvements this year...what say you?

Like some said last year is it addition through subtraction or is that being optimistic ?    Basically only two starters in Bohannon & Covington.   Naz can rebound with the best in the Horizon but his offensive game needs to develop to the next level.   Garrett Covington was very versatile last year and if he can build on that we will have two solid starters.

Last year we had NO point guard as Cam played out of position.  Devin Morgan is now eligible and has two seasons of D1 experience from Delaware State.  He should be solid.  Tough to win without a PG and coach has one this season

Worried about the post. Noe Anibar is the only returning big and he played limited minutes. I Like his skill but points and rebounds need to show.   Alex Holcome is 6-9 242(nice size) and led the nation in blocks at his JC last season. He only averaged 7.6 pts and 5.6 rebounds which to me is a bit of a red flag.

Michael Akuchie was up and down as a frosh last year but at 6'8" he has nice size .  If he gets more consistent with his out side shot( looked good in a few games) he could be an X factor.

Kendale Hamton and Donel Cathcart both put up nice numbers at their Junior colleges and look to be 2 guards or off the ball scorers.  Saw their videos and looked decent like every other video so who knows.

Four freshman coming in and not sure what we have.  Quisenberry was 1st team all state out of Huber heights Wayne which is one of Ohio's best programs and he looks physically ready.
Atiba Taylor has a ton of skill and can probably play either guard position.  Had a few good offers out of Jersey.
Jelani Simmons was 1st team all Ohio out of Columbus and is a son of a coach.  Nice size at 6-6 but looks like he'll need to fill out.
Olamide Pedersen is 6-9 out of Kansas and is a mystery to me and like the other 3 frosh only the insiders of the program really know if these 4 are ready for this level.

Antwan Maxwell is another JC transfer. 6-7 220 and did not put up big numbers at his Junior college but has nice size and should be in the rotation.

Like last season this team has more questions than answers since it's almost a whole new roster.  Have some depth at point guard that  we lacked last season which made last year difficult.  That is a plus.   I'm worried about who is that go to guy when we need a basket and post play sort of scares me.  One could say we'll benefit from not depending on one scorer and will have more options collectively.

Coach Calhoun owns this roster as there are no Slocum ex players so it will be interesting if he plays his press and up tempo style as he wanted last season but was forced to scrap.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:13:40 PM by ucfpengbuck »