Author Topic: West Virginia  (Read 27386 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: West Virginia
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2018, 08:59:18 PM »
Where was farrar last week? Wish we had him last week. Great to see he's only a sophomore. Got him a few more years. hopefully he keeps developing

He played. Just poorly utilized until tonight.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2018, 08:59:31 PM »
Secondary stinks so bad.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2018, 09:17:31 PM »
Tackling is just pathetic

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2018, 09:30:08 PM »
What in the hell was that?? 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2018, 09:45:50 PM »
 Didn’t cover the spread but we kept them under 60 and we scored more than Tennessee did. I say this is certainly a step in the right direction compared to last week.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2018, 10:37:50 PM »
Secondary stinks so bad.
These DBs are not good. However, with a Hiesman caliber QB having all day to throw the ball, no DB could cover the receivers for 10 seconds. So, I am not as hard on them this week as last week trying to cover non scholarship receivers and QB.
This year, they don't seems to know their assignments.... Too many open receivers running loose in the secondary.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2018, 11:01:21 PM »
Secondary stinks so bad.
These DBs are not good. However, with a Hiesman caliber QB having all day to throw the ball, no DB could cover the receivers for 10 seconds. So, I am not as hard on them this week as last week trying to cover non scholarship receivers and QB.
This year, they don't seems to know their assignments.... Too many open receivers running loose in the secondary.

Yes, leaving a guy wide open is not the result of all American talent it’s a mental mistake.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2018, 11:14:44 PM »
The safeties have no idea what they're doing. That's what happens when you are playing out of position as both of them are cornerbacks and not safeties. This team wins maybe 4 games this year.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2018, 11:42:09 PM »
The safeties have no idea what they're doing. That's what happens when you are playing out of position as both of them are cornerbacks and not safeties. This team wins maybe 4 games this year.

I was going to disagree and then I remember we don’t get to play misery state this year :'(

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2018, 01:37:25 AM »
This is what I expected
  Let's have some perspective.  First, I expected 60 points to be scored.  Second, we have lost several defensive players that were key allowing us to be respectable.  We are starting a QB that has little game experience.  We will struggle in our league, but we can get better.  I believe we have one of the youngest teams in the MVFC.  This was caused by Wolford running everyone off.  The jury on Pelini's recruiting is still out.  He would have been better off maintaining vs having to fill the giant class that has carried over since Wolford.  Pelini recruits certain positions or gets key people and fills the rest in.  With the challenges left after Wolford ran off so many Heacock players, we are still filling the void.  The team will get better as the year progresses but we have a senior QB and the young kids need to grow up fast.  I am not expecting much, but we have some talent, if coached well, can perform.  However the coaching is falling on Pelini's shoulders because we have unqualified Mooney people and others filling positions that they don't belong in.  If they can be taught, fine, but this year is unlikely what we want to see.  We've already got 2 losses and a gauntlet to run the remainder of the season
Much improved over last week, but any team that is unprepared like we were will not win anything substantial.  I hope to be proven wrong, but I am older than most and my experience tells me this.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2018, 09:34:05 AM »
I'd feel ok so far if it weren't for Butler.... Missing 4 starters, 3 on the defensive side of the ball. Just don't have the depth on defense to make up for it. Kids playing big minutes who really shouldn't be playing. Especially at safety. We'll see as the year goes on.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2018, 10:31:07 AM »
Sorry Penguinpower I dont see anything that shows we are going in the right direction.  We were confused on offense and we had to call timeout continuously because of it. Our offense couldnt do anything different because it’s obvious players don’t know the plays. We are still running a lot of read plays which means we will get to see our second and third string QB’s shortly.  In my opinion we need to see what we have at the position winning 5 or 6 games with a rent a qB does nothing.  Play the kids and we win 3 or 4 so be it.  Teams will take away the deep ball from us and things will get worse offensively. Defense what defense.  No pass rush poor tackling and their wrs did whatever the wanted against a secondary full of number 8’s. ( ex player ).The ONLY reason they didn’t get 60 was we wouldn’t rush and dropped coverages to keep my in front. WV DID want ever they Wanted in that game.  Then penalties would show up as well. I guess the best kicker is the same kid.  This is a 4 win team any more shows the league is down this year.   
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
Sorry Penguinpower I dont see anything that shows we are going in the right direction.  We were confused on offense and we had to call timeout continuously because of it. Our offense couldnt do anything different because it’s obvious players don’t know the plays. We are still running a lot of read plays which means we will get to see our second and third string QB’s shortly.  In my opinion we need to see what we have at the position winning 5 or 6 games with a rent a qB does nothing.  Play the kids and we win 3 or 4 so be it.  Teams will take away the deep ball from us and things will get worse offensively. Defense what defense.  No pass rush poor tackling and their wrs did whatever the wanted against a secondary full of number 8’s. ( ex player ).The ONLY reason they didn’t get 60 was we wouldn’t rush and dropped coverages to keep my in front. WV DID want ever they Wanted in that game.  Then penalties would show up as well. I guess the best kicker is the same kid.  This is a 4 win team any more shows the league is down this year.

You have to have some perspective though. This wasn’t WVU from 2 years ago or Pitt from last year, this is a ranked team in a power 5 conference with a heisman candidate QB. This WVU team probably blows out our last 3 FBS opponents.

It’s like every year, we don’t really know what we have until we get into conference play. The Western Illinois game will give us some idea.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2018, 11:38:39 AM »
Well I hope you are right guys.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »
Time to get ready for Valpo and maybe the first win of the season.