Author Topic: Fall Camp Has Started  (Read 32361 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Camp Has Started
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2018, 07:04:05 PM »
The moment that YSU accepted VanGorder's transfer, it was obvious that he was going to play.  Perhaps not start, but play significantly.  The injury to Mays just accelerated that process.

The new redshirt rule is both an opportunity and a challenge.  Coaches must be very wise in their use of it.  For example, if Cunningham is deemed to be our quarterback of the future, do you give him playing time in the easy games in September, or hold him back for the second part of the conference schedule if disaster strikes our quarterbacks....again.  Tough call.  I say play him once early and keep three appearances "in the bank." 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 07:05:02 PM by Wick250 »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2018, 10:30:35 PM »
Cunningham "may" be the guy for the future, I'm not sold yet. Craycraft has out played him and is still #3 on the depth chart for now. O-Line was my biggest concern going into camp, but I think the D as a whole has surpassed them. With all these injuries, you have 2 guys STARTING at safety for the very first time in their careers. Pass rushers are banged up a little. Count me as skeptical....

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »
It just bothers me that if Van Gorder is our starter that we will be in the same boat again next year.  With all these injuries this could be a long year.  I hope not
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2018, 09:01:41 AM »
It just bothers me that if Van Gorder is our starter that we will be in the same boat again next year.  With all these injuries this could be a long year.  I hope not

Doesn't bother me one bit. He's the best QB on the roster. Blame Montgomery or Bo for not being able to recruit well.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2018, 09:30:46 AM »
Many "training camp" injuries aren't as serious and "regular season" injuries, and "playoff" injuries are the worst.
Let's see in a couple weeks in WVU who is where.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2018, 02:43:31 PM »
The moment that YSU accepted VanGorder's transfer, it was obvious that he was going to play.  Perhaps not start, but play significantly.  The injury to Mays just accelerated that process.

The new redshirt rule is both an opportunity and a challenge.  Coaches must be very wise in their use of it.  For example, if Cunningham is deemed to be our quarterback of the future, do you give him playing time in the easy games in September, or hold him back for the second part of the conference schedule if disaster strikes our quarterbacks....again.  Tough call.  I say play him once early and keep three appearances "in the bank."

Your thinking is strategic.  I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2018, 11:48:47 PM »
VanGorder has been named starter for week 1 by Bo.

Also I heard Muransky is back taking over as analyst on radio next to Hannon.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »
VanGorder has been named starter for week 1 by Bo.

Also I heard Muransky is back taking over as analyst on radio next to Hannon.
No surprise in VanGorder.  When he announced his transfer I assumed he would be the guy.  Too bad he is one and done.  Muransky is a welcome return.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2018, 10:47:54 AM »
Cunningham "may" be the guy for the future, I'm not sold yet. Craycraft has out played him and is still #3 on the depth chart for now. O-Line was my biggest concern going into camp, but I think the D as a whole has surpassed them. With all these injuries, you have 2 guys STARTING at safety for the very first time in their careers. Pass rushers are banged up a little. Count me as skeptical....

I like your post here. Cunningham and VanGorder both have trouble keeping their passes from "sailing" on the run, or just after (have to stop and plant). However, they both do what BO wants ... run. I think Bo liked Montgomery's QB rotation (with a less mobile QB and adding Cunningham in wildcat formations) & may be one of the few things he keeps (if Mays wins the spot back). If not, I am with you and leaning toward Craycraft. Better Command, field of vision and so far seems to be a better overall QB.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2018, 11:13:00 AM »
Cunningham and Craycraft will play out over the next year, but if we are going to the playoffs this year, it will be VanGorder, backed up by Mays.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »
Cunningham and Craycraft will play out over the next year, but if we are going to the playoffs this year, it will be VanGorder, backed up by Mays.
They can probably red shirt Cunningham for this season. I believe he is a true Freshman.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »
They can probably red shirt Cunningham for this season. I believe he is a true Freshman.
yes he is.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
Put up a depth chart...let's see what we have by position. 

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »
VanGorder is better than Mays. Simple as that.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2018, 05:33:26 PM »
VanGorder is better than Mays. Simple as that.

I honestly feel the other way around & I do not think there was anyone on the team that expected VanGorder to start after spring. Mays has been far more consistent & has starting experience; but he has yet to show any "flash", as VG has done. However, flash will not give VG the starting nod, an injured Mays will.