Author Topic: ESPN+ and YSU sports  (Read 2625 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
ESPN+ and YSU sports
« on: April 29, 2018, 01:17:19 PM »
Not sure how long espn plus has been around but I've noticed they have been promoting more.  I love the fact that I can watch almost every YSU basketball & football game at no cost on line at espn3 .   
I have a suspicion that some of those games this upcoming season will be on  espn plus which charges $5 a month which I would pay although like anyone else i'm happy with the status quo.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: ESPN+ and YSU sports
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »
This will be a good topic as we get closer to football. In my mind, the only way that this venture can survive is if they offer programming that subscribers cannot currently on 1, 2 and 3. As you say UFC, how much of this is going to be cannibalized vs how much is actually new? They are clearly targeting the "cable-cutters" which I will soon be a member of. However, all of the channels on my Roku now require cable, so what is the point? In fact, many of the channels do not allow all the programming unless you pay directly (HBO, Cinemax, Epix and many others). Even though I get these channels on my cable, I have found that most of the better movies are locked and you have to upgrade to a $5/month package in order to get them. Also, they now have more commericals on streaming TV than cable. This is ESPN doing the same thing with a chance to have locked programming and commercials.