Author Topic: Spring Practice  (Read 33055 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Practice
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 02:34:11 PM »
We lost games because of Mays inability to see and read plays and make throws and incompetent OC. Let's hope things are turned around this year.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 10:04:22 AM »
We lost games because of Mays inability to see and read plays and make throws and incompetent OC. Let's hope things are turned around this year.

If you list all the reasons we lost games, the QB is pretty much at the bottom of the list ... and that only because of the inconsistency created; not ability. Mays made drastic improvements last year under the tutelage of a terrific OC. We can only hope Crist picked up a few things.

Here are a few reasons that everyone saw:

No larger deep-visioned TB
No depth up front
Carl went back to his infamous creeping secondary
Bo's focus on local-first recruiting, which is why we still have to bring in so many JUCO's. He only get's one more year, then I better start seeing some depth.

You just want to continue trashing the name Montgomery, but stats are open to anyone that wishes to see them and if read there is not a sane person in the house that would not want Montgomery back. Then we can talk about why we were not able to replace him.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:06:49 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 08:57:06 AM »
You can certainly count on a few things on this blog.  Chief trashing Montgomery and 1AA rushing to his defense. Monty here or not here, with QB or without QB, score 45 and give up 48, it doesn't make any difference, according to chief it's all Shane's fault.  On the other hand, we have had some games when I thought they put all the plays on slips of paper, dropped them in a helmet and drew each play 100% at random, but according to 1AA, Monty never made a bad call.
I'm glad Montgomery is gone just to stop the same old bickering over and over and over!
If there was a unit that cost us a playoff spot and another run at a championship, it was the OL.  Last year we recruited 3 OL, this year, with 3 inside returning starters and both tackle backups returning (although it appears Jeff Rotheram is MIA?) , we recruited 1 freshman and 3 JUCO transfers.  THEY know where this problem is too!  For me, the weakness in the coaching staff it with Carmen Bricillo and the OL.  Everybody wants to take shots at Monty, or Pelini Bo and or Carl etc, but in 9 years Bricillo has produced 1, just one 1st team MVFC OT.  That was Justin Spencer in 2017 and I though he played significantly less effectively in 2017 than 2016.  I also though Vitas Hrynkiewicz and guard Gavin Wiggins went backward in 2017 from 2016.  We give Bricillo credit for recruiting and JUCO recruiting, it is about time he show something on the field.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:25:36 AM by go guins »
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »
On the bright side chief, you may still have a "Montgomery" to blame for all YSU offensive woes this season!
Has anybody been to practice to provide some inside into the Mays, vs VanGorder battle?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »
They've been splitting reps with 1st team. In other news, I believe Richmond is going to be a starter at DE next year with Reed. He's a beast.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 01:56:33 PM »
They've been splitting reps with 1st team. In other news, I believe Richmond is going to be a starter at DE next year with Reed. He's a beast.
That is the way to handle the reps if it is an honest competition.  Looking forward to 1AA's days in practice for feedback on who looks the best, noting that who looks best in Spring Ball means virtually NOTHING!
I believe what you say about Richmond, unfortunately, maybe in more ways that one!   
Frankly you need at LEAST a 3 man rotation at DE and Johnson is solid too.  More important is who plays 3rd down!  I'm also looking forward to seeing RFr Cook at DE.  In Rivals I believe he is the highest rated Pelini recruit since coming to YSU.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 02:39:46 PM »
That is the way to handle the reps if it is an honest competition.  Looking forward to 1AA's days in practice for feedback on who looks the best, noting that who looks best in Spring Ball means virtually NOTHING!
I believe what you say about Richmond, unfortunately, maybe in more ways that one!   
Frankly you need at LEAST a 3 man rotation at DE and Johnson is solid too.  More important is who plays 3rd down!  I'm also looking forward to seeing RFr Cook at DE.  In Rivals I believe he is the highest rated Pelini recruit since coming to YSU.

Cook was a three star recruit.  He was ranked at .80 from 247
Pollock was a three star recruit. He transferred in from Rutgers. He was ranked at .83 from 247
I’m sure there are guys ranked higher than those 2.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »
Competition is very high this year. Lots of talented kids fighting for starting spots. This team has real good depth.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 02:57:32 PM »

Cook was a three star recruit.  He was ranked at .80 from 247
Pollock was a three star recruit. He transferred in from Rutgers. He was ranked at .83 from 247
I’m sure there are guys ranked higher than those 2.
In terms of HS recruits, I think Cook is Pelini's #1   Pollock was not a YSU HS recruit, neither was Reed, Alexander or Moss. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 10:14:07 PM »
Pollock has announced he is retiring from football with a medical hardship due to several torn hamstrings. Unfortunate for the young man.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 08:12:02 AM »
Pollock has announced he is retiring from football with a medical hardship due to several torn hamstrings. Unfortunate for the young man.
Ditto that.
Never had a good feeling about this kid for some reason. Premonition?  Who knows.  Would have liked to see both he and the RB, Ryan Moore play.  Came to YSU with great hopes and injuries cut them down before every contributing on the field.  Football is a TOUGH sport.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »

Ditto that.
Never had a good feeling about this kid for some reason. Premonition?  Who knows.  Would have liked to see both he and the RB, Ryan Moore play.  Came to YSU with great hopes and injuries cut them down before every contributing on the field.  Football is a TOUGH sport.

He came from a highly decorated high school in Florida. Was all state there and numerous D1 offers. Saw him play live in Dallas Texas against a team from Canada a few years ago. The kid was a beast. It’s a shame that his body let him down. I don’t see him walking away from the game and could end up coaching before his time is finished at YSU. God Bless him and thank you for representing YSU

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 12:06:18 PM »

Tough break.  Good luck to him in the future.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
1AA, when are you visiting spring practice?  I'm I correct in thinking we are not playing a spring game?
I look forward to your 'reporting' from practice.  I don't believe the JUCO OTs are here yet, so there won't be much there, but WR are practicing I believe and the Montgomery - Nathan battle should be in full swing.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »
1AA, when are you visiting spring practice?  I'm I correct in thinking we are not playing a spring game?
I look forward to your 'reporting' from practice.  I don't believe the JUCO OTs are here yet, so there won't be much there, but WR are practicing I believe and the Montgomery - Nathan battle should be in full swing.

My mother called me and said that a letter came to sign up for the spring tailgate pregame, so I called the Penguin Club and left a voicemail. I also called the ticket office and she said she has not been told anything about it. So I now wonder myself about the party and the spring game. I think we will have at least once major scrimmage though. I am going up tonight.