Author Topic: Idaho St - YSU  (Read 7088 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Idaho St - YSU
« on: December 19, 2017, 12:03:25 AM »
I don't know how many watched the game on Big Sky TV, but just an embarrassing game....easily I feel the worst of the year & in quite some time for that matter.  Idaho St. had won 1 D1 game this year & had an RPI ranking of 336.  They were a 3-point favorite & won by 24 & could have easily been worse if not for a few late baskets.

I've tried to find some positives in each loss this year, thought YSU at least played hard & pretty even with Kent State in the 1st half, DePaul & Butler in the 2nd halfs, had an opportunity to beat Canisius, Southern Miss & Robert Morris, and was competitive for the most part with Northern Colorado.  The South Dakota game was non-competitive, but that was at the end of 3 straight games & to a very good team.  But tonight was downright ugly to a team that YSU should be better than.

You turn a team over 18 teams and shoot 10 more shots & lose by 24 is just unbelievable.  Same old story...slow start, can't make 3's, poor foul shooting, too many uncontested layups/dunks & 3's.  1 point for Cam- just hard to believe.

Coach really sounded deflated & at a loss in the post-game interview.  Tough games now against Utah State & Indiana.  Really need something to change to even be able to win a game.   

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Idaho St - YSU
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
Things sure don't look promising.  Our lack of height inside really causes problems beyond just the obvious lack of inside scoring for us and such an advantage scoring easy baskets by the opposition.  Our outside shooters, due to lack of an inside threat, are really pressured which makes their game suffer.  We are a weak shooting teams, but it is worse because of our lack of an inside game.

On defense we give up way too many easy baskets.  I think the press needs to be cut back on to help us defend better.  Yes we get some turnovers, but I think we give up more points than we get and we are the team getting tired out, not the opponent.  When we played Kent, a bigger, stronger, better shooting team, we did better when we didn't press than when we did.

Long term this method of playing will work out, but not with the current players.  We need to play to our players strengths and not a system that doesn't seem to fit our current players.  Go back to the fundamentals of offense and shooting and defense. Those were the skills that Idaho St had and we didn't.  We were physically better, but they were better at the basic basketball skills.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
Things sure don't look promising.  Our lack of height inside really causes problems beyond just the obvious lack of inside scoring for us and such an advantage scoring easy baskets by the opposition.  Our outside shooters, due to lack of an inside threat, are really pressured which makes their game suffer.  We are a weak shooting teams, but it is worse because of our lack of an inside game.

On defense we give up way too many easy baskets.  I think the press needs to be cut back on to help us defend better.  Yes we get some turnovers, but I think we give up more points than we get and we are the team getting tired out, not the opponent.  When we played Kent, a bigger, stronger, better shooting team, we did better when we didn't press than when we did.

Long term this method of playing will work out, but not with the current players.  We need to play to our players strengths and not a system that doesn't seem to fit our current players.  Go back to the fundamentals of offense and shooting and defense. Those were the skills that Idaho St had and we didn't.  We were physically better, but they were better at the basic basketball skills.

I agree 100% with this.  We get so many shots blocked inside.  I was really hoping Haygood would be able to take over more inside.  At times he shows flashes of promise.  I like the way Tyree plays, but just can't get enough minutes out of him.  Coach Calhoun said they had him checked to see if he had any problems, but checked out ok.  Even though he wasn't very athletic and not a great shooter, we're missing the inside presence of Jordan Kaufman.  He was always good for tip-in on missed shots and had a size advantage over a lot of opponents. 

I'm sure it's tough for Coach when he's trying to instill his method of play, but like you said the pressing just isn't working.  Most of the turnovers we're producing aren't in the backcourt.  At what point, do you try and like you said go back to fundamentals and schemes to the strength of our players before it becomes so demoralizing?  I'm afraid that's what could happen if we lose the first few conference games.  To me that's what looked like what happened against Idaho State.  Missed shots, the ball doesn't bounce our way a few times, and they hit some big plays & it's like the life gets sucked out of this team.  I really think losing Santiago took a lot of heart & life out of this team.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 03:53:43 PM »
I agree with these comments.  Loosing Santiago really hurt.  Our 3 main players coming back were Morse, Hartfield, and Santiago.  Running this new type system, running our tails off all game, makes each player weaker as the game goes on.  If you have very capable backups, fine.  But we have all new players who aren't ready for significant playing time and responsibility. And without Santiago and Morse not scoring, we are in trouble. Need to simplify what we are doing and preserve the energy of our top players so they can play to full potential.

For sure next year we need some bigs that can play.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
Mudclods & penguin68,you guys are spot on.  I'm also wondering if  Calhoun's style works with the players he's dealt at this time ?
No rim protection inside.  Never thought I would miss Kauffman from last season.  We need bigs badly and I hope coach can convince a JC or some transfer .   

Outside shooting is below average and that's being nice.   It seems like every team has a guy who can catch and bomb in a 3 pointer.  Not us.

Point guard with Santiago as you guys said is a problem.  The transfer (Devin Morgan) will solidify that position next year.

Is Wilborne still on the Team ?    Love Tyree but his minutes are too limited.

I expected one of the frosh to shine but they're struggling.  To my surprise Covington might be ahead of the bunch.  Best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.

Cam scoring 1 point !   This is the same guy that went on the road at Toledo and scorched them for 40 plus.   Can someone explain why he's playing so bad ?   System ?  Teams are keying on him and not caring about the other four ?

I'm in with these guys but it's been ugly and I don't see too much positives.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »
This year is a wash. Onto next year.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 07:02:07 PM »
It just seems like this team can never find a spark- back to my point about missing Santiago.  In several games we were in, just couldn't make that 3, layup, or a near steal & something just seemed to switch the momentum back to the opponent.  In years past, Donlan or Cam would get hot and spark a run or Santiago would get everyone fired up by his hustle.  There's been very limited stretches where this team has put together a solid run this year.  I feel like Covington is the player that's been the closest to that this year and maybe Braun here and there. 

Cam just has never found his groove this year and it's very sad to see him struggling so bad in his senior year.  Cam and Braun have both made 17 3 pointers, but it's mind boggling to me that Cam has attempted 26 more 3's!  It's also very strange to me that Braun's 3-point % of 44 isn't much less than his FG % at 47 & FT % at 52. 

I also went back and looked at Cam's stats from prior years.  In his sophomore season his FG % was 47, 3-pt % at 41 & FT % at 81.  Last year his ppg went up, but his FG % dropped to 42, 3-pt % to 32 and FT % to 74.  Currently this year he's at 34% FG, 26% 3-pt & 74% FT. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 09:54:38 PM »
Naz should be playing DE on the football team.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 10:04:53 PM »

I realize he's a freshman, but I've been disappointed in his production.  Struggling with his shot, 50% at the line & just 1-7 for 3's.  A little surprised he's started every game. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 08:22:05 AM »

I realize he's a freshman, but I've been disappointed in his production.  Struggling with his shot, 50% at the line & just 1-7 for 3's.  A little surprised he's started every game.
Kid is an athlete and has the curse word of all sports attached to him "potential".  Calhoun is giving him as many "reps" as possible to see if they can get the game to slow down for him.  Shooting % s a clear indicator that he is  overwhelmed.  Several of the freshman look like they were the best on the court in HS and all the sudden other kids can run and jump with them and it has been a monumental adjustment period for them.  Hopefully.............
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »
Wilbourn left the program.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 07:01:26 PM »
Wilbourn left the program.

From what I saw,he would be better off at a division two program. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »
http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/ysu-sports/2017/12/tough-non-conference-slate-ends-at-indiana/

I think this article sheds a lot of light of what most of our posts have been saying.  Coach gives a little clarity on the season.