Author Topic: UNC-Charlotte HC Lambert Tabs Montgomery as Offensive Coordinator  (Read 2157 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Charlotte head football coach Brad Lambert has named Youngstown State Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach Shane Montgomery to the same positions with the 49ers. Montgomery has coached for over 20 years, including four years as head coach at Miami (Ohio), where he also coached all-America and future Super Bowl champion quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"We are excited Shane has decided to join our staff," Lambert said. "He has a wealth of experience as an offensive coordinator and also brings head coaching experience. He has called plays at the FBS and FCS levels and has always had a balanced offense which is what we want at Charlotte. He can help us improve our passing efficiency. Another thing that is really attractive is that Shane played quarterback at NC State and brings that to the table. He's a guy we targeted in the search and we're fired up to get him here and get him started."

Montgomery spent eight seasons at Youngstown State, including the Penguins 2016 NCAA Division I National Runner-Up season.  In his final three years, he served under YSU head coach Bo Pelini.  During his eight-year tenure, from 2010-2017, he oversaw the top four offensive seasons in school history (2011, 2016, 2010, 2017). In each of his eight years, the Penguins put up over 2000 passing yards and 2000 rushing yards.

"I'm excited to be joining the 49ers program," said Montgomery. "I've known coach Lambert for over 25 years and I'm looking forward to helping him continue to build the program.  It's an up-and-coming program and it's exciting to get in on the front end. Getting in and helping build a program is very attractive."

This past year, the Penguins averaged 29.7 points and 411.1 yards with 2,447 rushing yards (222.5/gm) and 2,075 passing yards (188.6/gm). The Penguins ranked 20th in the FCS with a .619 completion pct. (146-of-236) with 13 passing touchdowns and four INT. The Penguins were second in the FCS in third-down conversions (.500; 70-140) and converted 80% of its red-zone trips (33-of-41).

In 2016, on its way to the National Championship game, YSU put 422.9 yards of total offense (2nd-most in school history) with 3,883 rushing yards (242.7 yards/gm) and 2,883 passing yards (180.2/gm). The Penguins had 400-plus yards of total offense in its first four FCS playoffs games, including 500-plus against the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds (Jacksonville State, 520 and Eastern Washington, 506). In the playoffs, YSU scored 30 points or more in the four wins. At Missouri State, in the final game of the 2016 regular season, YSU set a school record with 747 yards of total offense, including a school-best 572 yard rushing.

Despite being plagued with injuries at the QB position, YSU won 18 games over the last two years while using four different starting quarterbacks.

"I would consider us to be a multiple offense," Montgomery added. "We want to be very well-balanced.  We're one of the few teams in the country to put up over 2,000 yards passing and rushing, the last eight years."

In 2015, YSU averaged 392.5 yards of total offense and 29.4 points per game.  The Penguins had 2,198 rushing yards and 2,117 passing yards.

In 2011, YSU set school records with 458.6 yards of total offense, 36.2 points per game and 27 touchdown passes.  The Penguins were the lone FCS program to rush and pass for over 2,500 yards during the 11-game regular season.  Youngstown State ranked third in passing efficiency nationally, was fourth in first downs per game, fifth in total offense per game, sixth in red-zone offense, 10th in rushing offense (231.1 yards per game) and 14th in third-down conversion percentage.

Montgomery spent eight years at Miami (Ohio). He was named head coach prior to the 2004 Independence Bowl and continued through the 2008 season, including a 2007 appearance in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Championship Game.  He was the RedHawks' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach from 2001-04, which covered Roethlisberger's three-year career from 2001-03 (school records with 10,828 passing yards, 854 completions and 84 passing TDs).  During that time, Montgomery was a two-time finalist for the Frank Broyles' Award which is given annually to the nation's top assistant coach.  In 2003, the RedHawks ranked second in the NCAA in total offense with 501.14 yards per game and notched MAC records with 7,016 yards of total offense and 74 touchdowns.

In 2009, he was offensive coordinator and tight ends coach at Akron.

Prior to joining Miami, Montgomery was an assistant coach at Chattanooga from 1993-2000.  He began as quarterbacks coach but became the wide receivers coach, co-offensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator. During his time as offensive coordinator with the Mocs, he oversaw the development of NFL All-Pro receiver Terrell Owens.

The Mocs ranked fourth in the nation in passing (326.5) and 19th in total offense (452.91) in 1999 and second in passing (339.1) and eighth in total offense (453.55) in 2000 - his final two years, there.

"I've known Shane for long time," Lambert added. "(When I was at Marshall), we competed against him when he had Terrell Owens.  I've kept up with him over the years and watched how he's done."

Montgomery was standout at quarterback at NC State from 1986-89.  He was a three-year starter who led the Wolfpack to the two straight bowl bids. He was named Offensive MVP of both the 1988 Peach Bowl and 1989 Copper Bowl. A second-team all-Atlantic Coast Conference selection, he still owns the NC State record for passing yards in a game with 535 vs. Duke in 1989. He graduated from NC State in 1990 with a degree in Business Management/Economics.

He played one season in the World League of American Football and served as a graduate assistant to Dick Sheridan at NC State in 1991 and 1992.

A native of Newark, Ohio, Montgomery and his wife, Sandy, have two sons, Tanner and Trent.  Tanner is a catcher on the Youngstown State baseball team.