Author Topic: Basketball atmosphere at Akron  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Bob Rooney

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Basketball atmosphere at Akron
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »
Since I saw both Ron Strollo and Prez Tressel at the game on Saturday, I hope they took note of the big time atmosphere that Akron displayed during their game with CSU. Good strong crowd packing the JAR. Pep band playing on the floor not packed away in the rafters. Give-aways and promotions kept the crowd in the game. Crowd was hyped up the whole game. This what needs to happen at Beeghly. This type of game day atmosphere hasn't been present since the Mid Con days. New coach, new attitude - Let's make it happen. BTW - shout out to Jbags who was with a fine femina. Snow on the rooftop but fire in the furnace - well at least a few embers still glowing!!!!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball atmosphere at Akron
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:22:55 PM »
I thought the same thing.  I got there at halftime & it definitely was a good atmosphere.  I was actually a little surprised Kent State didn't have a better fan following.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »
I was at both games in Akron.  No doubt there was a good crowd for the Akron game.  They have been winning and that sure helps build a following. As for the atmosphere, I couldn't get past the dark blue color everywhere. No brightness in my opinion and a definite poor atmosphere for me.  Yes they did have their activities etc., but the darkness and colors did nothing but hurt the atmosphere in my opinion.  I think our gym with new bleacher seats that are permanent will make Beegley far better.

As for our team, one thing about basketball is height and shooting ability are very important.  We were short on those important ingredients.  I really think that Kent's height and our style played right into Kent's plan and gave them easy baskets and deflated our player will by the 2nd half.  It will take time to get our new plan in place.  In the first half when we only pressed occasionally, it worked better for us. And remember Dom from our past.  He had shooters shoot and set them up to shoot.  We may need to do more of that with our current group.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 02:07:27 PM »
Akron's new video board is pretty impressive. Beeghly needs work. Making progress. Calhoun and company are on it. Hence why they are playing so many road games. $$$$$$$$

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »
Akron's new video board is pretty impressive. Beeghly needs work. Making progress. Calhoun and company are on it. Hence why they are playing so many road games. $$$$$$$$
Calhoun listed the money games somewhere I saw.  like 3-4 for 25,000 to 50,000 runs in my mind.  Does anybody have that report?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:02:38 PM »
I t sounds as though Akron has nice support for their team which happens from winning.   I watched our game from 1000 miles away on espn3 and the place looked empty.  Thought with the success and proximity that Kent would have a large fan base there.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »
I t sounds as though Akron has nice support for their team which happens from winning.   I watched our game from 1000 miles away on espn3 and the place looked empty.  Thought with the success and proximity that Kent would have a large fan base there.

Yeah I was kind of shocked there weren't more people for the second game and with what you said about Kent and people wanting to see the new YSU product.  I think there were more people last year at Beeghly for the YSU-Akron game.  The crowd Saturday was what I'd consider a good crowd at Beeghly but probably was 1/4 of the first game.