Author Topic: YSU vs Kent State  (Read 13287 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs Kent State
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
Came out and played hard for about 18 mins or so.  Kent State seemed to be getting frustrated & were out-hustled early.  That run at the end of the 1st half by Kent State turned the tide.  I thought there were some opportunities in the first half to build a lead, but couldn't get the bounces to go our way and the continued horrid free throw shooting. 

The 2nd half felt like a D1 team playing a D2 team.  YSU looked gassed.  I really didn't understand the continued full court press the 2nd half when it was clear they were beating us down the court & yielding layups and dunks one after another.  Outside of the Ohio State game last year, that's the worst defeat since some blowout Horizon League losses late 2 years ago.  Santiago not at 100% really hurt & it looked like Ferguson took a shot to the face the first half & didn't play after that.

Mudclods,you are 100% in your analysis.   Surprised how tired they look since this is what they practice everyday.   Actual game conditions in running this offense is a lot different than practice.   The defensive rotation was horrendous.  I can live with off shooting but not getting back on D is uncalled for. 
Coach must of  had a sleepless night.

On the bright side,Tyree Robinson's going to be fun to watch.  He actually won the jump balll against a guy who had 7 inches on him. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »
Cam had a really bad shooting night. First game with a new coach. Brand new system, some nerves. To be expected. I like Wilbourn, the 7 footer. He runs well for a guy that size.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
The first 15 minutes of the game was exciting, then a helter-skelter offense and defense.

Kent St. destroyed us in the 2nd half. Maybe they were out of breath; the fouls were too plentiful and our foul shooting was shameful. We were 12 out of 30; even junior high players shot better than that.

The coaches have a lot of hard work to do!!!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 10:41:32 PM »
I found some of coach Calhoun's quotes from the Tribune quite interesting.

"I haven't lost like that ever."   To me that's a good thing and hopefully this game will be an anomaly.

" It was the same exact thing that happened at Niagara.  When it goes bad for this team,it goes really bad."
He was referring to their scrimmage against Niagara which is not good if this team played this bad prior to Kent.

"Second half we ran out of gas.  We've got to do a better job of conditioning."
I thought the purpose of his style of play was to wear the other team out.  Not YSU being gassed.

"You have to find seven, eight guys that want to play this style of play and stop people."
I was under impression he had these guys ?

I'm not piling on coach and like his open and honest thoughts to the press.  I'm just trying to get clarity if these are the players that can run this style and if not can we expect to see more 30 point blow outs.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:43:36 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline penguinparade

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 11:12:27 PM »
Cam had a really bad shooting night. First game with a new coach. Brand new system, some nerves. To be expected. I like Wilbourn, the 7 footer. He runs well for a guy that size.

You must have missed a lot of last season then because he shot a similar appalling percentage most of last season.

Last night was horrendous. The good news is they surely can't get much worse!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 11:48:56 PM »

You must have missed a lot of last season then because he shot a similar appalling percentage most of last season.

Last night was horrendous. The good news is they surely can't get much worse!

He wasn't missing easy shots like last night. Things will get better. He's a proven scorer.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »
Growing pains? They stink.
nope, just growing pains.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
As I posted before, in order to play this up tempo game, we must have the right types of players. Just like coach Jerry T of UNLV, we was successful when he was there (winning the NCAA championship). After moving to San Diego State, he could not do anything because he could not recruit these type of players.
We currently have high school, JC and some D2 players. The only two D1 players are Cam and Santiego.
IMO, we cannot have green lights for everyone to shoot and crash the board without anybody playing back to stop the fast break.
For better for worse, Slocum tried to setup Cam for open shots. If everyone is given green light to shoot, Cam will not be able to get quality shots.
Typical YSU team ....... cannot shoot FT... 40% ? Are you kidding me?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »
As I posted before, in order to play this up tempo game, we must have the right types of players. Just like coach Jerry T of UNLV, we was successful when he was there (winning the NCAA championship). After moving to San Diego State, he could not do anything because he could not recruit these type of players.
We currently have high school, JC and some D2 players. The only two D1 players are Cam and Santiego.
IMO, we cannot have green lights for everyone to shoot and crash the board without anybody playing back to stop the fast break.
For better for worse, Slocum tried to setup Cam for open shots. If everyone is given green light to shoot, Cam will not be able to get quality shots.
Typical YSU team ....... cannot shoot FT... 40% ? Are you kidding me?
Everybody would agree (at least I would hope so) that the new coach needs some time to develop players, recruit players, practice things until they become second nature.  One game and they get smoked.  Now we want Calhoun to change his style of play?  Does anybody think Cam and Santiego would get this team to the NCAA tournament?  Certainly not.  What would they have been under Jerry 8-22?  Pick a number. 
Look at the schedule Calhoun has lined up.  It is a very tough road schedule to start the season.  Several games are money games focusing on new seats, and building up the right mindset in the players.  You think we were going to beat Kent, DePaul, Indiana?  Come on, give the guy a chance!  FT is practice and FT in a game are just a bit different.  I can still hit 6-7 in 10, but run me up and down the court a couple times and no way.  They were gassed, everybody can see that, certainly the coach can.  They can't shoot because they are tired, not because they can't shoot.  Cavs are the same way, big time, great players, but not in game shape, and can't shoot or win.  Give Jarrod a chance.  This team will not be as good next YEAR as it will be in 2 and 3 years, and you guys want him to change what he is doing after a SINGLE GAME?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 12:21:42 PM »
Only thing I'm concerned about right now is the FT shooting. But that is partly contributed to them being worn down from running all game. Let it play out.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 01:52:22 PM »
Bring back Slocum!!  8)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 01:57:33 PM »
Bring back Slocum!!  8)
There you go!  That will fix all this stuff about no D and weak rebounding.  That's all I read last year was no D and no RB!  ("read" as I didn't waste one damn dollar watching such a tired product is such a tired setting) 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 02:09:45 PM »
Bring back Slocum!!  8)
I watched the KSU game on ESPN3. I like the style. I just would like the coach to recruit future players (or developed current players) who can play his style of play and to develop plays to setup the good shooter (like CAM) with some easier shots.

Jerry T's UNLV was higly  successful because he had 4 fast guys who could really shot the 3's. It was hard to double up any of the 4 guys. The 5th guy (Larry Johnson) was a beast down low on the inside.

We currently don't have 4 guys who can shoot 3's. We, therefore, cannot give all 4 guys green light to shoot.

I think we will be ok towards the beginning of league play. Calhoun will get this all figure out. After Stroia, Robic and Slocum, I can wait couple more years.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 02:16:53 PM »
 "After Stroia, Robic and Slocum, I can wait couple more years."
Good! 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 06:35:37 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=470&v=IaMmQUStyCs

Coach has the sound of a guy who is both humbled and optimistic.   Hadn't slept in 48 hrs.  Love the way he says he wants to represent the city of Youngstown.  I was pissed after the way they played but I believe that Calhoun will right this ship.