Author Topic: Game Day: Guins at Southern Illinois  (Read 22151 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Game Day: Guins at Southern Illinois
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »
Where is the running back from Farrell, Chapman 6-2 225.  Is he redshirted?  We sure could use a big back.

Redshirted. Recovering from a knee injury sustained last year.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »
If Mays is the best we have going into next year we are looking at another 6-5 season with no playoffs.  He is a tough Guy and would be good at Slippery Rock next year after Tanner Garry finally uses up his eligibility.  Mays is just not a D1 QB or at least a MVFC D1 QB. Has had all the chances to show his stuff but lacks the arm & decision making to be a starter at our level.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »
Clean house?  Just need new OC.  Team will be better next year.   This tv coverage is run by grade schoolers
I never saw a TV crew, even in high school so slow following the ball on a pass.  EVERY pass was down, or out of bounds before we ever got to see the play.  NEVER say the ball get to a receiver.  Terrible crew.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »
Clean house?  Just need new OC.  Team will be better next year.   This tv coverage is run by grade schoolers

May need to fire himself "IF" he can't find/recruit/transfer/JUCO a QB and some running backs with the leg strength greater than 3rd grade girls. This has killed YSU in the MVFC year in and year out.

EXCUSE ME? You do understand that this is the first year in many that we have NOT had the top back in the conference, if not the nation? Do you even watch the team? Also, as long as coach Carl is in front of coach Shane at OBES, I have no issues. I mean just say that you do not like Montgomery because when you try to justify it, you sound foolish. We still put up 28-points today despite 4 turn-overs and a missed field goal.

Again FBS transfer is the biggest mistake we can make. We have no problems with what we have. If we find someone with at least 2-years it might be worth something, but our frosh should be ready in a year and Mays is more than capable. All the problems that you see with Oline and the entire defense & you think a QB is our top need? I guess I must have purchased tickets for a different team than you. Today was the best running performance that #37 ever had (looked like a tailback), but that is still our #1 recruiting need for 2018. #20 is an excellent frosh and I have high hopes for him as our versatile back, but we need a feature back.

:o Wow you are more delusional than ever. #37 and company have great running days against lesser competition. How did they do @ UNI, SDU, NDSU and IL. ST? Hell If I remember right Bobby Morris did a good job against the YSU vaunted offense. Don't get me wrong #37, 20 and 30 are great kids and good runners but not what the doctor ordered for the MVFC.

SIU sucks! Sorry they are a bad team maybe a step above Indy State. Offense only scored 21. Defense 7  8)

QB situation is bleak!! Transfer need NOW!!!!!

Monty?! I leave that one alone.

DEFENSE GOOD!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:24:43 AM by ysubigred »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 10:30:16 AM »
"DEFENSE GOOD!!"

Well if people think the way that you do then we are going to have another 6-5 year, no matter what QB we have.
If you read my posts I do not like #37, I said it was our #1 need for 2018. Here are your issues, using conference numbers:

-#1 in sacks allowed at 36 (we are 16 above anyone else), just disgraceful.
- Rushing defense (#2 from the bottom). Yet despite our Oline issues we are #2 in rushing.
- We give up as many turnovers as we get & have lost the ball 6 times in the red-zone (all #s). Our Oline is not doing their job and also we are not strong enough on defense.
- We are dead last in red-zone defense & are the only team in the conference to not have gathered a single red-zone turnover. Again we lack the skills. Having someone in position will do quite a bit, but that just means that opposing in-completions are luck & smart play by the opposing QB.

These are your issues. We cannot protect our QB & all you want to do is complain about them. How many time do you read "get rid of the ball faster" and "his first instinct is to run" on this board. I mean our QB's are getting sacked in a few seconds of the snap. There is no getting rid of the ball ...it is "take the snap and hold on to the ball and/or run". People need to stop acting as though he cannot read the field, when our QB's have zero time to do so.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:21:58 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 11:59:24 AM »
1AA, you put the problem with the offense on the OL, most posters are all on the QB.  Frankly, it is a "team effort".  The OL has played a number of games between not very well and terrible, AND the QB's hold the ball too long.  Saturday the left side of the OL did great, but the right did nothing again. How much of that was DL weakness? (a lot, I'm thinking)
You are right about the problem at RB.  McCaster isn't bad, but he's too small.  I hope Chapman provides some big time help next year.  After a very impressive start, Turner has been pretty much a non-factor for 5-6 weeks.
We should have a ton of redshirt freshman that can provide some help next year.  I also watched some updated video on Jayden Cunningham and he may be the answer at QB next year?  We need to keep in mind, we lost to Pitt and NDSU in overtime and USD and UNI on the last play of the game.  IMO this is NOT a "blow up the whole mess" situation that a lot of guys are talking about on your blog.  With the DL returnees and Cash and Gibson having a season under their belts, I don't see this as a disaster.  Frankly I feel better about next year at this point than I have since Hunter got hurt the 1st time.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
1AA, you put the problem with the offense on the OL, most posters are all on the QB.  Frankly, it is a "team effort".  The OL has played a number of games between not very well and terrible, AND the QB's hold the ball too long.  Saturday the left side of the OL did great, but the right did nothing again. How much of that was DL weakness? (a lot, I'm thinking)
You are right about the problem at RB.  McCaster isn't bad, but he's too small.  I hope Chapman provides some big time help next year.  After a very impressive start, Turner has been pretty much a non-factor for 5-6 weeks.
We should have a ton of redshirt freshman that can provide some help next year.  I also watched some updated video on Jayden Cunningham and he may be the answer at QB next year?  We need to keep in mind, we lost to Pitt and NDSU in overtime and USD and UNI on the last play of the game.  IMO this is NOT a "blow up the whole mess" situation that a lot of guys are talking about on your blog.  With the DL returnees and Cash and Gibson having a season under their belts, I don't see this as a disaster.  Frankly I feel better about next year at this point than I have since Hunter got hurt the 1st time.

A voice of reason ^^ Thanks Go!

The stats that stands out at me is:

YSU is 5th in scoring Offense only 2 points ahead of SIU for 6th.

YSU is 3rd in scoring Defense only -7 behind ILL state for 2nd.

No surprise that NDSU is 1st in both categories.

Bottom line: Both sides of the ball is not stellar, but I believe the Defense was adequate and not too far removed from last years "D". Losing #6 hurt the most! On the "D" side a health #4 really could have made a difference to boost the defense to help win the close loses.

#99 has killed us! Nice kid but  :-\

As long as we don't lose too much after the end of the season with all the negative pub from the media. YSU will be a force next year. Someone commented on losing 20 Sr's but I can't see too many that made an impact that isn't replicable next year. #6 has been missed more the last 2 years than he's been around so we won't miss what we didn't have  :(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:16:16 PM by ysubigred »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »
Only positions I see being worse next year are WR and TE. Losing Patterson, Bailey and Derrick will be tough to replace along with Rader and Kuhn.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
thanks ysubigred
QB, RBs and OTs are the big question marks for next year, not doubt.  I agree 100% on 99,  For me, the biggest disappointment this season has been Kennedy.  I thought we were set for years after last season and this year has been a bust for sure.  We do have a really good recruit from Cleveland that should take over.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
We have a lot of young guys who are talented who redshirted this year.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »
We have a lot of young guys who are talented who redshirted this year.

Guys that I have seen numerous times at practice that should make a impact next year are.  #1,3,54,12,53,43,63

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »
Only positions I see being worse next year are WR and TE. Losing Patterson, Bailey and Derrick will be tough to replace along with Rader and Kuhn.

I'm 50-50 on the TE position. This is a huge sore spot with me and I blame the "O" coordinator here. We have 5 or 6 250 plus TE's and could use these guys to get open over the middle for 4-12 yards and save about 75% of the sacks lost/getting our QB's killed. Hell the only time 86 sees the ball is on a 3rd and short handoff. Goes back to needing a TB big and strong enough to get the short yards. How many team do you know that brings in a TE for a handoff  :o

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »

I'm 50-50 on the TE position. This is a huge sore spot with me and I blame the "O" coordinator here. We have 5 or 6 250 plus TE's and could use these guys to get open over the middle for 4-12 yards and save about 75% of the sacks lost/getting our QB's killed. Hell the only time 86 sees the ball is on a 3rd and short handoff. Goes back to needing a TB big and strong enough to get the short yards. How many team do you know that brings in a TE for a handoff  :o
New England Patriots for one.  Lots of teams that "spread it around" don't have FBs anymore.  They just use a TE as the blocking back. In itself, that isn't very telling.  However, we have an obvious lack of powder backs to 86 is the best we have.  Let's hope Chapman is what we thought he was next year! 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2017, 01:44:27 PM »

New England Patriots for one.  Lots of teams that "spread it around" don't have FBs anymore.  They just use a TE as the blocking back. In itself, that isn't very telling.  However, we have an obvious lack of powder backs to 86 is the best we have.  Let's hope Chapman is what we thought he was next year!

NE Patriots can do whatever they want and it works LOL!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »

NE Patriots can do whatever they want and it works LOL!!
Just saying.........  I don't think having the best coach and the best QB hurts too much either.  I don't like Bill, but the sob can coach.  I hate almost everything from Michigan, but Brady seems to be getting BETTER with age!