Author Topic: Game Day: Guins at Southern Illinois  (Read 22372 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Game Day: Guins at Southern Illinois
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
New O-Coordinator needed ;)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2017, 02:18:56 PM »
New O-Coordinator needed ;)
I'm not anti Monty, but it is very obvious Bo wants a dual threat QB and Shane wants a drop back QB.  You can win with either, but you gotta chose and Bo's the boss. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »
Only positions I see being worse next year are WR and TE. Losing Patterson, Bailey and Derrick will be tough to replace along with Rader and Kuhn.

I'm 50-50 on the TE position. This is a huge sore spot with me and I blame the "O" coordinator here. We have 5 or 6 250 plus TE's and could use these guys to get open over the middle for 4-12 yards and save about 75% of the sacks lost/getting our QB's killed. Hell the only time 86 sees the ball is on a 3rd and short handoff. Goes back to needing a TB big and strong enough to get the short yards. How many team do you know that brings in a TE for a handoff  :o

I felt the same way Red, but not after watching Ruiz and Webb for 2-years. Monty uses the TE (or larger back to block) and spring open the RB for a pass ...which is why he recruited #20. You can see the obvious benefit here ... dual threat formation. 3+ years ago, coach Shane used the TE as an XXback. It worked rather well at times, but nothing like having a real RB pair back there ...and besides, we are not going to get a 6'-5"+ QB recruit that has the talent needed to get over MVFC Dlines ...those guys could all go P5, or at least MAC. This year our line depth and lack of a true TB hurt us. Go, the running QB vs drop-back QB issue was settled last year (I understand it was heated for a short time), but after we had 3 QBs go down, I think we will stay with more of a drop-back style, like #12 and #7. It does require a special breed of QB recruit, which is why I only trust coach M to recruit that position.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2017, 07:35:55 PM »
Only positions I see being worse next year are WR and TE. Losing Patterson, Bailey and Derrick will be tough to replace along with Rader and Kuhn.

I'm 50-50 on the TE position. This is a huge sore spot with me and I blame the "O" coordinator here. We have 5 or 6 250 plus TE's and could use these guys to get open over the middle for 4-12 yards and save about 75% of the sacks lost/getting our QB's killed. Hell the only time 86 sees the ball is on a 3rd and short handoff. Goes back to needing a TB big and strong enough to get the short yards. How many team do you know that brings in a TE for a handoff  :o

I felt the same way Red, but not after watching Ruiz and Webb for 2-years. Monty uses the TE (or larger back to block) and spring open the RB for a pass ...which is why he recruited #20. You can see the obvious benefit here ... dual threat formation. 3+ years ago, coach Shane used the TE as an XXback. It worked rather well at times, but nothing like having a real RB pair back there ...and besides, we are not going to get a 6'-5"+ QB recruit that has the talent needed to get over MVFC Dlines ...those guys could all go P5, or at least MAC. This year our line depth and lack of a true TB hurt us. Go, the running QB vs drop-back QB issue was settled last year (I understand it was heated for a short time), but after we had 3 QBs go down, I think we will stay with more of a drop-back style, like #12 and #7. It does require a special breed of QB recruit, which is why I only trust coach M to recruit that position.

You forgot to mention Hosick..

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »
I don't trust Montgomery on anything. His system works against the sisters of the poor but when his QB's are needed to win games, they can't. There are no D1 caliber QB's on this roster.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Game Day: Guins at Southern Illinoisb
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »
I am not buying that things are going to be all rainbows and unicorns.  We have too many holes to fill.
1.  I think we need to address the place kicker.  The kid has become very erratic since his Frosh year.  He hurt us big time this year and I don’t trust him anymore. 
2.  Qb- MAyes needs to be coached up next year and be talent taught that as QB you need to protect your body and Monty needs to stop calling read option after read option.  It’s plain stupid. The defensive and O line needs to get stronger and more athletic. I have soured on the O line coach.  I think our TE’S were not as good as advertised.  We need more hands TE’s that can run.  Our WR play really can’t be determined because Of Mayes.  He was not very good at getting them the ball in the mid to long routes.  Pelini needs to sprinkle his recruiting with some speed and athleticism.  He wants to recruit a lot of Bo Pelini overachievers and thats all good if you want 6-5 and 7-4 seasons.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2017, 02:02:20 AM »
We have a true freshman kicker coming in from Hudson who has set all kinds of records in ohio so I expect him to challenge for the job.