Author Topic: Robert Morris  (Read 31659 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Robert Morris
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »
IAA are you watching the game or the disney channel. We will be fine (Bo Knows). I think we all can agree there were concerns(@Pitt) with all aspects of the game. Robert Morris isn't Pitt by a long shot. I did see some improvements. The TB's will be fine with MCCASTER and TURNER with the help of the other backs ( JOE, LONDON, ETC) the only TB that I know of that could run without a lineman blocking was Earl Campbell and he is sitting in Canton, OH.  I know we have this forum to discuss the best football team in America(my opinion) and if you don't know who that is let me be the first to tell you.....Its the YOUNGSTOWN STATE PENGUINS and if you don't share the same feelings get off this forum. ######GOGUINS!!!!!!!!!

Who does not share the same feelings? So are you saying the line is not opening holes, it is a good topic. I also think they are more geared to QB protection. To me, Turner is a more natural TB, with McCaster more of a FB.
1AA you claim Mays (AKA "1AA's manmance") that his "Passing ability is excellent,"  You should come up from Columbus and watch the games sometimes.  He can't throw 10 yards down field and his only TD every was a great leaping catch by Rader (2nd best catch of his life!)  I don't hate Mays, but your blind claims of his passing ability is over the top.

His ability is excellent. You should mention that I also said he lacks in consistency. I cannot remember having any infatuation over any player or staff member. I simply think the 1/2 of Wells/Mays is our best option. You need to stop being so extreme. I can say positives about Strollo, Montgomery, or anyone without being enamored. I can criticize anyone (including JT and coaches named Pelini) without getting to the point of hatred. I do not see Tressel as any type of savior. I saw/see what he does good and bad. Same thing with players. I like McCaster, but again he does not look like a natural TB to me.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
We will have trouble with SDSU passing game.

I agree with Power and Chief here. We are again going to run into issues if we continue to push up safeties, SDSU can really hurt us. They need to stay back and help the DBs. 

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2017, 10:47:40 AM »
We will have trouble with SDSU passing game.
Most teams do!! Not sure if we have the answers for their QB, WR and TE..Montana St. did score 27 on them and held them to 31 points..I think we have been battle tested with the Pitt game and that will help. Both SDSU and NDSU have a weaker non-conference schedule then in the past with zero money games played. Getting Wells back for the conference opener is top priority

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
SDSU has NFL caliber talent on the offensive side of the ball but we'll worry about that when it gets here.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
IAA are you watching the game or the disney channel. We will be fine (Bo Knows). I think we all can agree there were concerns(@Pitt) with all aspects of the game. Robert Morris isn't Pitt by a long shot. I did see some improvements. The TB's will be fine with MCCASTER and TURNER with the help of the other backs ( JOE, LONDON, ETC) the only TB that I know of that could run without a lineman blocking was Earl Campbell and he is sitting in Canton, OH.  I know we have this forum to discuss the best football team in America(my opinion) and if you don't know who that is let me be the first to tell you.....Its the YOUNGSTOWN STATE PENGUINS and if you don't share the same feelings get off this forum. ######GOGUINS!!!!!!!!!

Who does not share the same feelings? So are you saying the line is not opening holes, it is a good topic. I also think they are more geared to QB protection. To me, Turner is a more natural TB, with McCaster more of a FB.
1AA you claim Mays (AKA "1AA's manmance") that his "Passing ability is excellent,"  You should come up from Columbus and watch the games sometimes.  He can't throw 10 yards down field and his only TD every was a great leaping catch by Rader (2nd best catch of his life!)  I don't hate Mays, but your blind claims of his passing ability is over the top.

His ability is excellent. You should mention that I also said he lacks in consistency. I cannot remember having any infatuation over any player or staff member. I simply think the 1/2 of Wells/Mays is our best option. You need to stop being so extreme. I can say positives about Strollo, Montgomery, or anyone without being enamored. I can criticize anyone (including JT and coaches named Pelini) without getting to the point of hatred. I do not see Tressel as any type of savior. I saw/see what he does good and bad. Same thing with players. I like McCaster, but again he does not look like a natural TB to me.
Not sure I understand the use of the term excellence and inconsistent used to describe the exact same thing.  If you are an excellent passer, then by any reasonable definition, you have to be consistent.  Mays is a decent runner, very guttsy and a barely adaquate passer.  Maybe the 9-10 best in the MVFC.
Sorry if you find my liberal use of “manmance” offensive.  I didn't mean to offend, I DID mean to tease your 2 years of posting favorable reports of QBs not named Wells.  I know you like the runners better than the gunslinger thrower.  Funny thing is people hitting on Hunter for his terrible throw in OT last week, when I think his worst throw was the 4th quarter throw to Rader against EWU.  That throw should have sent us home instead of Frisco.  If you ever get a chance to look at it again, (it's all over YouTube) look how open Jody Webb was in the left flat.  Easy TD to Webb; Wells made the wrong choice and got lucky.  Just because I think Hunter is our best option, doesn't automatically make me thing he is perfect.  (BTW, the PITT throw was really horrible, especially on 1st down)

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
Go Guins: There is a difference between "ability" and "performance". You are saying basically everything that I would agree with. As to Wells. I do not know where you are coming from but Wells/Mays have been my 1/2 for as long as I can remember watching them. It fits coach Shane's offense. Why would I want anything else?

You are saying that May's performance was terrible & I do not agree as to just how poor it was. I think he had issues for his first two sets. Obviously by how hard Davis was practicing, so did Montgomery. In fact I am surprised that Monty did not "pull the trigger" on Ricky. Then Mays had an excellent 3rd-series and became much more consistent. Passes were higher and did not float, accuracy improved. As to Mays' "ability" ... he will be an earned starter for YSU & it will be the best choice.

As to Wells & EWU. Webb was a decoy & the man covering was very smart not to fall for it. That last play was going for Rader & no one else. Wells did not even look, as we had less than 8 seconds to try and get 2 plays off (if needed). Turns out we needed only one & the positioning on the should was intentional. Has Wells' performance slipped under pressure before? Yep. Was that an uncalled clearly obvious "mugging" of Rader? Yep. Do you think Wells saw that? Yep. Do you think that that influenced his throw? Yep. It was a much smarter throw that you think in order to try and guarantee another play. Had we had those 3-downs and 20 seconds left on the clock ... worst throw ever.  Again it is ability vs performance.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
1AA you can type until you are blue in the face trying to convince me that throwing to a receiver that was completely blanketed by the defender against EWU was a brilliant throw, and you will never be successful.  Wells has been my #1 since about 1/2 game in game 3-4 of his freshman year.  That doesn't mean he is flawless.  I am not going back to look but you have one skeptic here that thinks he remembers you touting Ricky Davis as your guy in spring ball last year.  Now it's Wells and Mays, and I think I sense a little "front running". 
I was not surprised that they didn't go to Ricky Saturday.  At this point, it's Mays or Craycroft next year, and you can't pull Nat after 2 series without destroying any confidence the kid may have.  Besides you were ahead and shutting out Bobby Morris, so no reason to panic.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:51 AM »
1AA you can type until you are blue in the face trying to convince me that throwing to a receiver that was completely blanketed by the defender against EWU was a brilliant throw, and you will never be successful.  Wells has been my #1 since about 1/2 game in game 3-4 of his freshman year.  That doesn't mean he is flawless.  I am not going back to look but you have one skeptic here that thinks he remembers you touting Ricky Davis as your guy in spring ball last year.  Now it's Wells and Mays, and I think I sense a little "front running". 
I was not surprised that they didn't go to Ricky Saturday.  At this point, it's Mays or Craycroft next year, and you can't pull Nat after 2 series without destroying any confidence the kid may have.  Besides you were ahead and shutting out Bobby Morris, so no reason to panic.

Why don't you go into politics? You are too far extreme & make up things that I say. It was a sh** throw ...everyone (including Wells) knows it and said so. It was the catch that was brilliant. I said that ball was going to Rader from the beginning and NO ONE else. That being said, he did position the pass well for the coverage. When did I ever say he was anything close to flawless? He has yet to be as good of a QB as his predecessor & may never be.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »

Why don't you go into politics? You are too far extreme & make up things that I say. It was a sh** throw ...everyone (including Wells) knows it and said so. It was the catch that was brilliant. I said that ball was going to Rader from the beginning and NO ONE else. That being said, he did position the pass well for the coverage. When did I ever say he was anything close to flawless? He has yet to be as good of a QB as his predecessor & may never be.

Should have been PI on the LB on that play. That would have drug out the refs conference 10 more minutes and made for great TV. No miracle catch though and we lose and spend the rest of our lives lamenting the missed call.

You will never convince me that the throw was anything short of an attempt to draw a penalty. No QB tries to throw the ball through a defenders back.

Webb has to break at least 1 tackle to score on the play BTW.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:44:04 AM by HappyPenguin »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »
Hey the mighty buckeyes have quarterback issues. They have lost 2 out of the last 3 games they have played.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:45:45 AM by YSU1 »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
Hey the mighty buckeyes have quarterback issues. They have lost 2 out of the last 3 games they have played.
In the 2 losses you reference, they have given up 61 points.  As usual in sports, it isn't as simple as it first appears.  Yes, they have QB issues, but they also have DB issues.  They have had 6 high draft choices from their defensive backfield in the last 2 drafts.  Hard to "reload" after all those players lost.
Biggest fulfilled wishes for me in 2 weeks of YSU football?  Reed at DE and Gibson at CB.  Not sure Reed is Derek Rivers just yet, but he is definitely better than a 1 legged Avery Moss, which is what we had in the playoffs last year. Gibson has had 2 great games for a true freshman.  CB is not an easy transition from HS and he is off to a great start.