Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!  (Read 126005 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
I can only see the secondary being improved from experience plus Bo brought in transfers. He made comments during the conference call to the effect that the secondary is better this year than last year. Although, it may very well not be the case, I'm going to be hopeful.
Here's the point about "coach speak"  He says in his presser about the secondary being better than last year, then he goes out and signs 2 JUCO transfers because he knows he has big trouble there.  Same about DE in spring ball, saying they had good strength there and then he goes out and signs Reed.  What do you expect a coach to say, "we have crap back in the backfield and I'm not sure how we can cover anybody"?  He is going to say good things about his players, he's their damn coach!  He throws his players under the bus and you don't think HS coaches will notice and offer advise to prospective recruits?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2017, 03:44:06 PM »
We enjoyed the great luxury last season of placing heavy pressure on the quarterback by rushing only the front four.  Clearly that is gone, but there are other methods to apply pressure.  I expect Pelini to fully utilize our talent and depth at linebacker by crafting complicated blitz packages.  Pelini understands perfectly well that harassing the quarterback is an essential feature of the modern game.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2017, 04:33:48 PM »
Go, I'm not disagreeing with you, the situation is a big ?. I know we lost amazing pressure with losing amazing DEs. I'm being optimistic I'm sure, but until I hear about how the secondary is doing, or the defensive line from camp, I might as well be optimistic  ;D

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2017, 05:17:15 AM »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
Go, I'm not disagreeing with you, the situation is a big ?. I know we lost amazing pressure with losing amazing DEs. I'm being optimistic I'm sure, but until I hear about how the secondary is doing, or the defensive line from camp, I might as well be optimistic  ;D
And I'm not disagreeing with your optimism.  I do disagree with 1AA who thinks tailback is the biggest position of concern.  With Tevin and Joe back, TB is among my LEAST concerning positions (IMO QB #1 and LB #2 in returners)
I do get worried when we talk of using the blitz to cover weakness at DE, then you weaken the LB position.  Hopefully Reed is a real stud and the problem is 1/2 fixed already!
I don't recall a year when I had as much confidence in the offense this early in camp.   Should be strong at every position. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
New true freshman addition. Justin Herold, a 6-2, 275 DT from St. Edward. Probable red shirt due to the depth at the position but he's a nice size, strong kid. Could definitely be a contributor moving forward.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2017, 09:52:20 PM »
Camp starts tomorrow boys and girls.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2017, 05:12:20 AM »
31! Happy start of camp  fb

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »
New true freshman addition. Justin Herold, a 6-2, 275 DT from St. Edward. Probable red shirt due to the depth at the position but he's a nice size, strong kid. Could definitely be a contributor moving forward.
Redshirt my a _ _ !  This kid has a 4.85 40 and half his high school snaps were at DE.  at 260 he is big enough and strong enough to play DE. 
From HUDL:
Positions: DE, DT
Height & Weight: 6'2" 260lbs
40 Yard Dash: 4.85
Shuttle: 4.46
Vertical: 25
Bench: 365
Squat(LBS): 450

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »
Redshirt my a _ _ !  This kid has a 4.85 40 and half his high school snaps were at DE.  at 260 he is big enough and strong enough to play DE. 
From HUDL:
Positions: DE, DT
Height & Weight: 6'2" 260lbs
40 Yard Dash: 4.85
Shuttle: 4.46
Vertical: 25
Bench: 365
Squat(LBS): 450
Just watched a video of Justin benching 405 with ease. Looking at the updated roster looks like both DE's that played last year have added some weight(Hopefully from the weight room) and are around the 250 range . Excited to see what the transfer DE from Rocky River can do and Reed from Florida

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
New roster is out. One addition I see is OT Jamie Herr. 3 stars coming out of high school in 14. Committed to WVU out of high school but wasn't eligible. Transferred to Marshall but did not play, and now he's here. Could be a guy who could gain playing time in a year or 2.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
New roster is out. One addition I see is OT Jamie Herr. 3 stars coming out of high school in 14. Committed to WVU out of high school but wasn't eligible. Transferred to Marshall but did not play, and now he's here. Could be a guy who could gain playing time in a year or 2.
6'5" and you can't teach height!  Spencer's last year, and I don't recall ever thinking "too many O linemen!"
Had great interest coming out of HS, including WVU (obviously) FSU BostonC UConn, wonder what happened?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
Starting with Herr and Reed, but going down the whole roster, position by position, this may be the most talented, athletic roster we have ever had.  Doesn't mean we are going to beat Pitt, or NDSU, or SDSU, or UNI or anybody else, and certainly doesn't mean a national championship, but the position by position, it is damn good.  May be better next year even with Wells gone.  (it's college, you lose players every year.  We lost our best player last year too)
With what Calhoun is doing, if Nikki Arbanas Sarah Cash are healthy, YSU is going to win a LOT of games this fall/winter!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2017, 06:49:27 PM »
Good point Go Guins..I will say Bo and his staff have done a great job getting the pieces they want in place especially with incoming recruits, and the transfers from last year to this year. I have been following other teams in the conference very closely and all of them have brought in a high amount of FBS transfers this year..The conference will be very strong this year..probably stronger then its ever been..We need to continue to find ways to win the close games

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2017, 02:56:36 AM »
30 days!