Author Topic: Campus Updates  (Read 73344 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Campus Updates
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Campus Updates
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »
I understand that we will have much more in the way of none-apparel fan garb. A little less in apparel in-store, but a larger on-line selection. The back-half of the new apartments are finished, as I understand. These will be right behind the bookstore. I may need to drive over and get some shots.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:08:31 PM by IAA Fan »

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:14:46 PM »
Seems like a lot of growth at YSU. That area has really improved and looks so much better. Now they just need to resurface Fifth Avenue. Hopefully that's in the works before football season that road is a disaster

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:26:31 PM »
Apartments behind the bookstore still need a little work, maybe a couple weeks. Bookstore opens on the 17th I believe. The Enclave, which are the other apartments are being built at the corner of Wick and Lincoln. Fifth avenue from what I heard is getting a complete makeover like Wick sometime in 2018. Lots of things happening!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:03:25 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:30:26 PM »
Wow, looking forward to see some of the improvements and additions. We plan to be there in late August to visit for a few weeks.

What happened to the plans to add special sports broadcast class rooms on the East side of Stambaugh Stadium?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »
Wow, looking forward to see some of the improvements and additions. We plan to be there in late August to visit for a few weeks.

What happened to the plans to add special sports broadcast class rooms on the East side of Stambaugh Stadium?

That multimedia center will be constructed once the football season ends. They didn't have all the funds ready in time to star this past year.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »
I decided to do some volunteer work, so Tressel was at Columbus talking with the group & he brought artists renditions of the changes. The entire campus, all living areas and stores will have underground power lines and high-intensity lighting. Several new call-boxes as well. Streets paved with what he called "enhanced" sidewalks. Just like the ones around WATTS now. (The ones by WATTS have rubber foot massaging, then concrete walk & then bike area. One of the people attending asked about the 3 newer lots by the old doctors offices behind FNB Field. Tres did not have any specifics, but thought some changes were coming related to traffic & parking. I also understand that there are still plans to build a woman's sports building.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:19:34 PM »
Thanks Chief and Fan for YSU updates; sounds like a lot of improvements have been completed and a lot more scheduled for next year. That should make the campus far more attractive for future students and recruits.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 11:49:35 AM »

Attended the Summer Festival for the Arts on Saturday.  This is a growing event the covers most of the central part of the campus grounds and I recommend it to all.  A very impressive group of craftspersons and artists, and I did spend some money, (not a ton).  According to my marketing guy, who is also an artist, I missed JT for about an hour, but he does get around.  I was a freshman the fall 1967 and the difference from them to now is REMARKABLE.  We actually had parking lot referred to in the Jambar as the "mud lot".  Everybody called it that.  I am the leading expert in State universities in Ohio.  Being a YSU alum, married to a KSU grad, with a son graduated from OSU and a daughter from BGSU.  My wife (who also has a masters from YSU) said the campus area of YSU is now competitive with the other 3, when it used to be a joke compared to "real" universities.   The administration has done a great job here, and where I give JT most all the credit for the athletic turnaround, this had been ongoing consistently even when he was here coaching. 
This is not sports and I'll stop now, but the university deserves to have the Arts Festival supported.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

ytowngirl

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
Campus is really improved since I went there 1998-2002.  It's great to see them build a nice campus.  I guess Barnes &  Noble is moving in on every campus as the campus bookstore.  Same happened at Ohio State. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 09:58:58 AM »
Campus is really improved since I went there 1998-2002.  It's great to see them build a nice campus.  I guess Barnes &  Noble is moving in on every campus as the campus bookstore.  Same happened at Ohio State.
1998?? Should have seen it is 1967.  West hall was an honest to goodness old army barrack and the basement at Clingan-Waddell was legendary! 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »
1998?? Should have seen it is 1967.  West hall was an honest to goodness old army barrack and the basement at Clingan-Waddell was legendary!
Go Guiana, try 1966 when I was a freshman at Youngstown University, back then, also known as UCLA.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »
go quins:

Wow I totally forgot about Clingan-Waddell Hall! I had my math classes there back in 62,63; it was eerie. The 3rd floor of the Main Building was extremely cramped with very low ceilings. All in all, it was a great place.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »
go quins:

Wow I totally forgot about Clingan-Waddell Hall! I had my math classes there back in 62,63; it was eerie. The 3rd floor of the Main Building was extremely cramped with very low ceilings. All in all, it was a great place.
I had several math/engineering classes in the basement of Clingan-Waddell Hall. What an experience!
However, the temperature was comfortable.
Now, they regularly turned the AC off on the hot days (>85 degree) between 3-7pm. I had classes from 4:30 - 11 pm. The room temperature offen exceed 90 degrees at the beginning of the class. We had to continuously search for cooler rooms in the building. We moved from room to room 3-4 times through out the evening as AC gradually came back on after 8 pm.
The building is also energy efficient..... Which means the windows cannot be open.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 02:26:12 PM »
go quins:

I had several math/engineering classes in the basement of Clingan-Waddell Hall. What an experience!
However, the temperature was comfortable.
Now, they regularly turned the AC off on the hot days (>85 degree) between 3-7pm. I had classes from 4:30 - 11 pm. The room temperature offen exceed 90 degrees at the beginning of the class. We had to continuously search for cooler rooms in the building. We moved from room to room 3-4 times through out the evening as AC gradually came back on after 8 pm.
The building is also energy efficient..... Which means the windows cannot be open.
I had a 4 hour calculus class Saturday morning in the basement of C-W hall.  (3-1/2 hours trapped in that damn basement!)  You should be glad your windows didn't open.  Ours did, and the street dust came through the steet level grates down a 6' deep window well and driffed into the classroom!  Oh, the good ol' days!
You guys knew the "mud lot" and all the parking issues then too!  Started ate $150 per quarter, full time.