Author Topic: Basketball Commits  (Read 70010 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Basketball Commits
« on: April 15, 2017, 01:53:48 PM »
The new coaching staff has secured their 1st commitment.

6-5 F Garrett Covington from Don Bosco Prep (IN)

http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/723152
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:57:38 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Commits
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »
Hope he is as good as the last Covington we had.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »
Add 6'9" Jacob Brown from Clemmons Nd to the commitment list..Calhoun making an immediate impact

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:08:18 PM »
Brown was committed to Fairmont St earlier. Following Calhoun here.

Offline sandman

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 10:36:37 PM »
Covington is a well built forward who can use his body against smaller wings......was a stat sheet stuffer at GAC high school in Atlanta which produced Malcolm Brogdon and Isaiah Wilkins of UVA.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »
Brown needs at least 20 lbs of muscle and is skilled  but I love how he moved his feet defensively in his videos..Covington seems to be a bit of a sleeper because he relocated and slipped through some cracks...also looking to add a transfer of from Del St who made all league as a soph...Devin Morgan

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »
Not blown away buy either.   Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.   Calhoun coming in late has a uphill battle and will see how he recruits going after 2018 players.   1:30 videos are never a great judge of talent.   

Anyone know what ever happened to Sydney Umude ?

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 10:56:28 AM »
I disagree..take a close look at Brown..he needs to get stronger but skills are there

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
Not blown away buy either.   Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.   Calhoun coming in late has a uphill battle and will see how he recruits going after 2018 players.   1:30 videos are never a great judge of talent.   

Anyone know what ever happened to Sydney Umude ?
I would be happier if we are getting D-1 transfers than D-2 transfers.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »
Just rewatched a bit of Brown's video...i saw a kid that hasn't even come close to filling out his frame but has the skills to be a good when he does...its easy to see the obvious..a solid looking stroke that seems fine for spot up 3's ...and surely the height to play inside...he finished plays with either hand but look at the little things I noticed
..he sealed nicely inside despite his thin frame and the thing I really loved with how he moved his feet on defense..he seemed a willing defender....with college coaching and physical maturity Jacob Brown looks like a great get...if you think he's nothing but a D2 player don't you think Calhoun would realize that too...

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
I have a feeling he brings in a JC post of some type and 2 transfers who will sit out

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »
jbags,I hope you're right.   There's always an upside but you can say that about many prospects.   Last year when I saw Hartfield's video his skill level jumped out at me.  He also scored 37 points in the state semifinal vs Westerville South.

Bobby Hain's hs video showed him more of an outside shooter than a post up player like he was at YSU so you never know when a new players comes into the program.

Cam Morse only had one D1 offer so I hope Brown can develop into a legit Horizon league post player.

We really need a juco post player to go with our returning guys.  Morse,Santiago,and Hartfield are solid.  Someone like a williams or Rosic need to take their game up a level.   Our only big is Haygood  who has improved but can't stay out of foul trouble.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »
I can't help but recall VASJ Coach Kwasnak's comments about Calhoun's ability to recruit good players but the "right" players..
To me that means guys that fit his style..his records at FSU lead me to believe he can do that...i expect much better contributions from Rahim Williams Hartsfield and Devin Haygood because they seem to fit his "run and stun" style...the fact that he must go deeper in his bench to play that way should stop guys from constantly transferring out...Keene..Andrews..Weber..Umude were perfect for this style...cant wait to see it all come together...we need a transfer 2 guard to sit out and then step in for Morse...Rob Edwards from Cleve St seems perfect

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »
Perhaps the reason that Slocum's teams always seemed to lack an identify was the fact that he had to take any plausible DI talent that was willing to come.  As jbags noted, Calhoun is seeking players that can fit into his style of play.  That is going to make a big difference.  For the first time since Peters, there is a plan.  Calhoun might end up disappointing us all, but I don't think so.  I really feel the long nightmare is coming to an end.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 10:04:55 PM »
Perhaps the reason that Slocum's teams always seemed to lack an identify was the fact that he had to take any plausible DI talent that was willing to come.  As jbags noted, Calhoun is seeking players that can fit into his style of play.  That is going to make a big difference.  For the first time since Peters, there is a plan.  Calhoun might end up disappointing us all, but I don't think so.  I really feel the long nightmare is coming to an end.

Yep. I love the staff he's put together. This group could do special things. I have a good feeling.