Author Topic: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM  (Read 69223 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
I'm telling you, if you offered the job to Rick McFadden he would take it.

Ties to this area obviously being from Struthers. He's been the recruiting coordinator for Akron for many years, a great assistant under Dambrot and a consistent 20+ win and NCAA tournament contender. His wife played basketball at YSU.

It all makes sense.... But Strollo and Co. will screw it up somehow I'm sure.

I know someone on the inside of the Akron basketball program and he said McFadden is begging for the YSU job. Hopefully it'll be his pretty soon.

?? You would fire Slocum for a career back-up?? Struthers? Who cares? Robic and Slocum hail from basketball parts of America. Hire him ...Then what is going to happen, we get a natural short-term bump in a year or 2 simply because of the change & then it is misery once again. No thanks. We are a D1 program & I want someone better than what we have and "it ain't comin' for no $150k a year".

PS. Dean Hood is the considered the father of the 3-3-5 hybrid defense that is used all over the NFL today and we would have been lucky to have him as a DC or HC. (note I said DC). Do you realize how many big time collegiate and NFL teams visited him annually? He finished 1st or 2nd in the OVC in 5 of his 7-years (as HC) at EKU. Once under coach T (his first-year) and a couple of years under Heacock were the only times we have ever seen that. BTW, stop talking about the level of competition within other conferences. The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC, the conference just does not have quite the bottom as the MVFC. Furthermore, Hood was a fantastic recruiter at Wake Forest.

What does Dean Hood have to do with anything basketball ??? We have Bo Pelini, dear lord. Some of the comments you make on here are ridiculous. Hood was an average coach at an average program in an average conference. He's now an assistant coach at wait for it.... Charlotte!!!

Dean Hood is on Strollo's short list to replace Jerry.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 04:23:18 PM »
Slocum and all assistants need to go. Cancerous. The program is literally dead.
OK, finally a fight I can get motivated to wage!  LITERALLY DEAD?  Hey HATERS, doesn't anybody have a clue what "literal" means?  Webster: adhering to fact, free from exaggeration or embellishment.
The MBB program at YSU may be FIGURATIVELY DEAD, but it is most definitely NOT literally dead!  That is an insult to the fine young men (and women if they have female trainers etc.) working very hard in the program.
They are literally ALIVE and in need of a little support once in a while!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 10:38:29 PM »
The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC

LOL!  I'm now convinced you say outrageous stuff to increase traffic and provoke discussion.  Like this OVC thing, is so outlandish it's absolutely hilarious!  ;D

Put YSU football in the OVC and we recruit the EXACT SAME kids. No better, maybe worse. That is the absolute truth and you know it. There is nothing you can say that would convince anyone with an ounce of football brains any different.

Akron is a semi credible program from the MAC, they experience minor success and suddenly they are great. You are "Youngstown blind". Forget what city they are from & look at the nothing resume. You would think that with 12-years of MAC experience he would have even been given a HC job; has he even been mentioned for one outside of a few posters on a YSU chat board? You guys crack me up. You think because you say something it has to be so. If they hail from Youngstown, let's just hire them.

Furthermore, do you think we even get a whiff of the back end of Bo Pelini's dinner digestion had he not screwed up and fell from grace? He is $500k to $750 a-year (plus endorsements) coach.

Riddle me this batman ...in the 8 years that Bob Huggins was the HC at Akron, his worst season was 26 wins. So how many times do you think they made the NCAA tournament? (clue it is a whole number higher than zero, but less than 2). So of course YSU admin has just no idea what they are doing. Seems to me they know quite a bit.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:35:03 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 09:04:38 AM »
You guys are driving me crazy.  Mixing FB and MBB and coach salaries and Huggins tournament appearances etc. I can't follow your points so I can't agree or disagree.
I'm out, maybe until spring practice starts if you guys don't make any more sense than the last couple days!
Remember, recruiting is all about the head coach.  NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.  Conference? Doesn't matter.  Climate? Doesn't matter.  Facilities? Doesn't matter.  Head Coach? Matters.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »

LOL!  I'm now convinced you say outrageous stuff to increase traffic and provoke discussion.  Like this OVC thing, is so outlandish it's absolutely hilarious!  ;D

Put YSU football in the OVC and we recruit the EXACT SAME kids. No better, maybe worse. That is the absolute truth and you know it. There is nothing you can say that would convince anyone with an ounce of football brains any different.

Akron is a semi credible program from the MAC, they experience minor success and suddenly they are great. You are "Youngstown blind". Forget what city they are from & look at the nothing resume. You would think that with 12-years of MAC experience he would have even been given a HC job; has he even been mentioned for one outside of a few posters on a YSU chat board? You guys crack me up. You think because you say something it has to be so. If they hail from Youngstown, let's just hire them.

Furthermore, do you think we even get a whiff of the back end of Bo Pelini's dinner digestion had he not screwed up and fell from grace? He is $500k to $750 a-year (plus endorsements) coach.

Riddle me this batman ...in the 8 years that Bob Huggins was the HC at Akron, his worst season was 26 wins. So how many times do you think they made the NCAA tournament? (clue it is a whole number higher than zero, but less than 2). So of course YSU admin has just no idea what they are doing. Seems to me they know quite a bit.

Your initial claim was, "The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC."  A look at Sagarin and Massey conference ratings, or post-season history will quickly put that little fake news gem to bed.

IDK why you bring up Huggins, who left Akron in the 80s.   If anything it reinforces the point that Akron MBB can and has produced quality MBB HCs.  Currently, with McFadden as the recruiting coordinator, Akron has been in either the dance or NIT four times since 2011.  We'd be fortunate to have someone with that resume here.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 09:56:27 AM »
You guys are driving me crazy.  Mixing FB and MBB and coach salaries and Huggins tournament appearances etc. I can't follow your points so I can't agree or disagree.
I'm out, maybe until spring practice starts if you guys don't make any more sense than the last couple days!
Remember, recruiting is all about the head coach.  NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.  Conference? Doesn't matter.  Climate? Doesn't matter.  Facilities? Doesn't matter.  Head Coach? Matters.

Conference and facilities matter very much so now a days.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 09:58:44 AM »
Hey Nation,

Jerry is 3-15 in the Horizon League Tourney in his career. Is that good ? ;)

We are the only school to not win the HL tournament besides Oakland and Northern Kentucky who just joined recently so I don't even count them yet. We are a laughing stock of a program. Ask around...

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
Let's try to get this thread back on the original topic.  The reality is that we can not pay a new coach anymore than 150k.  So that limits us to two types of applicants, a successful D3 head coach and a DI assistant from a successful mid-major program.  I favor the latter because there is too much risk that the D3 head guy will be out of his element against higher competition (see Slocum transition from D2 Gannon to YSU.)  Is there any DI mid-major assistant with stronger credentials than McFadden who would want this job?  Maybe, but I doubt it.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
YSU needs to target someone likes this. 

http://athletics.lycoming.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=928&path=mbball

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 10:50:34 AM »
In 2013, FGCU MBB went to the Sweet 16 under Andy Enfield.  That year he was paid $157,500.

His successor, the current MBB HC, Joe Dooley, took a pay cut in order to have the opportunity to be a D1 MBB HC.  He signed a 5 year contract for $225k/year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/atlanticsun/2013/04/17/joe-dooley-florida-gulf-coast-coach/2091229/

These aren't figures that remote from YSU's.  The FGCU atheltic budget is actually far less than YSU's, and from data I found and put in another thread, the MBB budget was LESS a few years ago for FGCU than it is for YSU now.

YSU found the funding for FCOA for both MBB and WBB a few years ago.  That is 29 FCOA schollies x $3k (average FCOA) = $87k. I suspect they can find additional revenue again if necessary to sign a game changing HC.

The issue isn't money, IMO, its competency.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 02:07:31 PM »

Conference and facilities matter very much so now a days.
A few years ago, I probably would have said the same thing, but HC IS all that matters.  Urban Myers wins at BGSU, wins at Utah, wins at FL wins at OSU.  Move him to worst facility with worst record in MVFC and within  3-5 years he would win the conference.  From '99 on, YSU FB was almost -0- until winning HC arrives and boom, NC game.  Did we improve facilities? nope, did we improve conference? nope, did we improve HC? yep.  You'd like to think other things matter but it's the HC.  Guy at EWU is doing great.  He will get better job and they will plunge back to mediocracy. That's the way it is. Case after case.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »

Your initial claim was, "The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC."  A look at Sagarin and Massey conference ratings, or post-season history will quickly put that little fake news gem to bed.

IDK why you bring up Huggins, who left Akron in the 80s.   If anything it reinforces the point that Akron MBB can and has produced quality MBB HCs.  Currently, with McFadden as the recruiting coordinator, Akron has been in either the dance or NIT four times since 2011.  We'd be fortunate to have someone with that resume here.

Yes and I stand by my claim. the word of choice here is "within". I do not care what they do against anyone else from other conferences. Again I do not see McFadden as any improvement

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »
YSU needs to target someone likes this. 

http://athletics.lycoming.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=928&path=mbball

Very interesting. 1) do you think he could win in the HL with his style ...looks like all offense.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »
Has a good track record.  Those leagues are physical which is indicative of east coast basketball regardless of division.  Recruits in talent rich areas which the current staff has never done?   

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »
 Go guins I agree with all you said!   Just think Sean Miller interviewed here years ago, can't remember if it was when hired Peters or Robic, what could have been.

After interviewing, MIller pulled name out of consideration the next day.