Author Topic: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM  (Read 69305 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2017, 06:00:43 PM »
Sports is a cruel business. He's not winning, he's had a tremendous amount of players leave the program the last couple years. He is not good with the media and community and you do not see the excitement and passion as you do with other coaches. Time to go.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »
Sports is a cruel business. He's not winning, he's had a tremendous amount of players leave the program the last couple years. He is not good with the media and community and you do not see the excitement and passion as you do with other coaches. Time to go.

Is there anything else we can do to keep a thread that no one cares about going? It is masked under YSU Men's basketball, when it is just another "I hate Slocum" thread. People leaving this program has just about zero to do with the head coach and will not change with a new head coach. It will take a lot more than that. Solid athletes leave high-end programs and low-end programs ...the former want a chance to play (or play more) and the latter think they can do better. The better the player we bring in, the more likely it is going to happen ...and Slocum has been recruiting a better caliber of MBB player in recent years.

I understand it is all about winning and losing; if not Jon Heacock would still be your head football coach. However, there is a lot more to it ... and when you look at those things, coach S had done pretty well. You bring up things like a couple of player incidents ...yet both of these things were handled well within the program. Grades are solid in a sport traditionally not know for GPA, he recruits well, he calls a game well, and he cares about the program and university. For all of these things he deserves a round of applause; so if he is no longer going to be with us (for whatever reason) simply give it to him? No some people on this board just love to be arrogant.  However, if we are just going to pump up the salary by $50k to $75k and bring in someone else ...why bother? It is not going to put us in the post-season dollars or change the face of the program ...just the faces of the staff.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »
I need to refute several comments.

Hard to say this is a thread that no one cares about when it is on it's eighth page. I find it refreshing that people still care enough about MBB.

Thread is not masked, clearly the subject contains MBB and Slocum.

In the past this board has had more then enough JS hate, for the most part this thread has been pretty calm. Certainly there are more folks that want him to leave then stay.

I do not question for a moment that JS cares about the program, you feel that he recruits well and calls a game well. If so I can not understand why we do not win more.

I do not get the "why bother" comment, the reason to bother is obvious, to try and bring positive attention to our great university. A new face may just improve the GPA. A new face may just put us in the post season dollars. We need to trust that RS can find the right guy.

The loyalty is commendable and I am sure you have your reasons.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »
I agree with guinpen.  I lot of individuals care about men's basketball.  1AA, you have made it very clear in the past that while you would like to see all athletic programs succeed, the only program that matters to you is football.  For many others on this wonderful site the pathetic shape of men's basketball is also a priority.

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
Do not post much, but must agree with above time for a change!

GOOOO GUINS!!!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2017, 01:33:16 PM »
Guinpen and others ...sorry to pull a Paladin here. Without looking it up, can you tell me who the WBB Frosh-of-the-year is? Can you tell me which YSU players are on the Horizon MBB 1st, 2nd and frosh teams? Can you tell me which team we play in the MBB HL Tourney, when, and/or what our seed is? Can you tell me the date of the spring game? Can you tell me what day we started football camp and any of the TB's (besides McCaster) in attendance?

If you understand what I just asked ...then you will see why this thread is a waste of time. All of these things are posted on this board in the last 24-hours or so, but certain posters will not let anything be above "I hate Slocum", "I hate Montgomery", "I hate Strollo", etc.  threads. These are simply trolls. Sure the MBB head coach is a big thing ...but anytime someone posts something constructive about it, it is buried in repetitive, hateful nonsense. It is too negative & falls WELL below the above items in fan importance. Yes this thread is more tame and I had to threaten a few posters to get it that way (always the same few); which I should not have to do ...we are adults. That is why this thread is so many pages long GuinPen ...because trolls push it up to the top by posting the same old ...same old.

I think it is time for a change as well, but a whole lot more than just at HC. But of course, here come the attacks on Strollo instead of a more normal discussion as to why the program is the way it is. As if the athletic administration and coaching staff has no idea what has been going on over the past decades. Insulting them is not any kind of reason and/or conversation.

Football is not my favorite sport, but it generates the revenue for most all other sports ...it has to be the most important. So let's talk about YSU basketball and Slocum:

-Do you think we have the resources to recruit and stabilize a deeper team/staff, we could win with Slocum? I do.
-Do you think if we did not have to meet title-IX requirements that we would have a better MBB program? I do.
-Do you think it is worth going to the old Chevy Center? I do not. It is no larger than Beeghly. They cannot even draw some of the better entertainment because they rushed into building a facility that is too small. We would still spend the same resources on Beeghly (for all of the other sports) and have additional resource requirements to rent the Covelli Center ...it is a no win move.
-Given the current political climate in the NCAA and the relative small scope of WBB in the collegiate ranks; do you not feel that our resources are better spent improving the women's program over the men's? I do.
We are all agreeing that a culture change is needed in the Valley for YSU basketball; maybe it needs to be focused on the Lady Pens?

In short until we (as a university) are willing to make a commitment to MBB, all we are doing is making a staff change. Any positive results will be short-lived. It is not the fault of Slocum and it is not the fault of Strollo ...but they do have to take the "heat" and I understand that; but let's keep the board at a decent level.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »
Hey they locked up the 9th seed.  Maybe they will make a run in the tournament.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
IAA Fan,You say it's not Slocum & Strollo fault.   Who's at fault ?   I'm asking out of lack of clarity not to be argumentative. 

What steps in your opinion does the University need to make to have a competitive program?

I'm like you were I'm tired of hearing the coach and the AD suck.   I would love some clear specifics.   Seems the info on the board is very vague.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »
It seems to me that complete apathy has set in...how do you explain getting rid of Wolford while keeping Slocum...i just don't get it...neither do many of us...we haven't ever been close to competitive in the Horizon...whoever is to blame is debatable but the fact that administration doesn't seem to care is not...that is what upsets many of us and that has to end

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »
I agree with jbags.  It seems that the athletic administration considers basketball to be an Olympic sport.  The impression is that winning is not very important.  That impression might be totally inaccurate, but how else can fans interpret this agonizing toleration for failure?  If the school has any hopes of recapturing the interest of fans, they must demonstrate that success is the new standard by which basketball will be judged, same as football and women's basketball (when the team is not destroyed by injuries.)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2017, 01:41:44 PM »
Good questions UFC and I am not really certain, but I think we have some good ideas on this board. I honestly think that we could more affordably build the WBB program into something, then rebuild the men's program out of that:

1) Beeghly is a good venue for some of the more powerful ladies programs & we could attract a level of competition that the men will never see at home. Even Butler had issues getting teams any higher than Ball State to play in Indy.

2) I think that we could get a nice tournament at home for the ladies. Between UWGB and a couple of our power friends in the MVC: Drake, Missouri State, Southern Illinois. Some of the PA schools (including Pitt) would line up for this type of competition.

The other way is to come up with more funds for the men's program & I do not like the idea of bringing in new people and hoping that change = success. Slocum may not like being forced out, but he is not far from retiring on his own. There is a wealth of experience we could get from him, in terms of what is truly needed to make the program (AT YSU) successful. Anyone can look at another program and say ...let's pattern ourselves after them, but that may not work at YSU. Slocum and Strollo both know what can work specifically at YSU; let's get a brain trust together and work toward financially being able to secure the decisions coming from this board. This accomplishes two things for the fans in the Valley and YSU:

1) It tells us that they acknowledge our issues, and
2) They are willing to do something (more than just point fingers) about it.

-It is going to have to include a stronger presence in AAU, overseas and the local schools.
-I think we have really retooled our general education and sports curriculum to bring some more high-risk players.
-I think with some of our Olympic sport successes in overseas athletes, perhaps we could take some of that knowledge and put a couple of people on the MBB court. This is where the campus improvements can really shine.

Could we afford to "pull a Syracuse" and have a coach-in-waiting"?

Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:48:26 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2017, 07:59:55 PM »
It was very telling to read articles about both wins and see that YSU knocks both teams out of the NCAA Tourney. The Horizon is simply a guaranteed 1-team  conference now, no chance for an at-large without Butler.

So I guess that we are just going to have to win the next 2-games

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2017, 09:15:17 PM »
How sweet would that be to win the Horizon Conference tourney title and go to the NCAA tourney after our miraculous run to the National Championship in football.  I'd say that would be a pretty good sports year for YSU!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »
This run has to be killing the JC haters! 
Too bad boys. 
Way to go YSU MB team!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »
Thank goodness.  Only 1 game left for Jerry.

Guess I missed on that.  Happy for the players.  The first YSU mens team to win 2 games in the Horizon League Tournament, and the first to advance to the semi-finals.  The hard part is over.  The top three seeds are gone.  Finish it off.