Author Topic: post game thread  (Read 7708 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
post game thread
« on: March 03, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
Joe Louis Arena is a neat venue,
YSU's 7 ft center had a nice game.  He looks a little bit like Bob Patton. ( for those old timers)
Their offense is decent. If they only played better defense. They did not move well defensively, they go for the ball fake a lot, poor help defense and they do not box out very well.
But hey they won.

ValleyTalk

Re: post game thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 10:42:23 PM »
YSU's 7 ft center had a nice game.  He looks a little bit like Bob Patton. ( for those old timers)
Their offense is decent. If they only played better defense. They did not move well defensively, they go for the ball fake a lot, poor help defense and they do not box out very well.
But hey they won.
That was one of their better defensive performances this year.

Great win 💪🏼

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 12:24:11 AM »
Very nice win.  I'm glad the seniors got to enjoy another win and experience a post-season victory.  If it was the last win, I'm glad to see Donlan & Kaufman play well.  Tonight was the way I think many envisioned this team to play this year.  Shot the ball well from all over the field, made foul shots, played smart and unselfishly.  The intensity & hustle was there all night long.  Hatfield continues to impress.  Hopefully they can keep him around the next 3 years. 

Wishing now Valpo had gotten the #1 seed.  We played them better this year than in recent years and seemed more competitive than we were against Oakland.  Then throw in Alec Peters out and it would have been interesting. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:01:49 AM »
But hey they won.
there can't be more than a couple of us that remember Bob Patton! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:57:18 AM »
I know. I was a Freshman walk on when Bob Patton was a senior.  We were Division 2 but they were good.  Dom Roselli was the coach.  Our practice was lay ups then scrimmage.  That was it.  No drills etc.
I am old.  What can I say.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
I know. I was a Freshman walk on when Bob Patton was a senior.  We were Division 2 but they were good.  Dom Roselli was the coach.  Our practice was lay ups then scrimmage.  That was it.  No drills etc.
I am old.  What can I say.
you're old?!?!?  I started going to YSU MBB games when Dom had John McElroy as his star in the fall of 1967.  I was there in Struthers Field House the night McElroy went off for 52 in his last home game.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »
Just think what McElroy and Billy Johnston would have scored with a three point line.  Billy liked shooting from the top of the key. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 01:46:06 PM »
Just think what McElroy and Billy Johnston would have scored with a three point line.  Billy liked shooting from the top of the key.
Billy could shoot and would have made several 3's a game for sure.  McElroy loved that falling across the baseline jumper driving down the side of the lane.  Impossible to block.  Them plus big Willy Teague inside.  Fun teams to watch.  Remember Calvin Murphy with Niagara.  They ran a pregram drill with him dishing to the lay-up line from the center to the foul line kind of like the Globetrotters.  Thanks for bringing back the memories!  We still tailgate football with my brother's electrical engineering study group from "back in the day"  (the sliderule days!)  That's a LONG time ago and some of the group are getting older!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »
My parents were season ticket holders for basketball and football since the late 50's. I remember seeing Roger Staubach playing for Pensacola Navy at Rayen field.  Gosh that was a long time ago.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »
My parents were season ticket holders for basketball and football since the late 50's. I remember seeing Roger Staubach playing for Pensacola Navy at Rayen field.  Gosh that was a long time ago.
I was there too.  My wife taught for years with a guy that was a DB for YSU in that game.  Denny Klembara had a great game for YSU that day and NOBODY noticed! 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 04:28:55 PM »
Billy could shoot and would have made several 3's a game for sure.  McElroy loved that falling across the baseline jumper driving down the side of the lane.  Impossible to block.  Them plus big Willy Teague inside.  Fun teams to watch.  Remember Calvin Murphy with Niagara.  They ran a pregram drill with him dishing to the lay-up line from the center to the foul line kind of like the Globetrotters.  Thanks for bringing back the memories!  We still tailgate football with my brother's electrical engineering study group from "back in the day"  (the sliderule days!)  That's a LONG time ago and some of the group are getting older!
Billy also had a good baseline jumper. He also had a good head and shoulder fake for the jumper on the side of the key drawing a lot of fouls when the defender went for the fake and left their feet.
McElory was a pure baseline jump shooter. I watched his 72 points at either Struthers or Campbell.
Tony Mitchell and Tilman Bevery also were excellent outside shooters. Watching Tony warmed up was a treat. He must have it in 80% of the 3 point shots around the 3 points circle.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
If I remember Johns' 72 was at South Fieldhouse. I can't remember who it was against but with a 3 point line he would have had a 100.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 04:42:17 PM »
If I remember Johns' 72 was at South Fieldhouse. I can't remember who it was against but with a 3 point line he would have had a 100.
Yes. It might have been the South High Field house. You are right. I forgot that there were no 3 points basket those days. I seems to recall that Tilman scored 55 points also. But, that was with 3 point line.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 04:52:21 PM »
Yes. It might have been the South High Field house. You are right. I forgot that there were no 3 points basket those days. I seems to recall that Tilman scored 55 points also. But, that was with 3 point line.
I was there and I was never in South High, so be betting on Struthers!
Sorry, I was thinking East High.  It was South although we did play at Struthers didn't we?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:47:20 AM by go guins »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
A native Youngstowner, John McElroy set the record book on fire in 1969 when he scored 72 points against Wayne State University at South High School Field House on February 26. He still ranks first in five offensive categories, including most points in a single game (72), most field goals in a single game (29), most field goals in a single season (310), most free throws in a single game (14- he hold the record with fellow inductee this year Tony Knott), and most points in a single season (729), which is also the record for a season by a senior. He is also second on the ladder in points for a single game (52) and third (right behind Tony Knott) in most points in a career (1,932).

this was on YSU's web page