Author Topic: Spring Practice  (Read 10254 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Practice
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »
Trent has moved to safety
I'll have to see Bo go into a season with Ricky Davis as WR and Trent Hosick at DB and Mays as the only backup QB.  Hope Hunter stays healthy!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
I find it very hard to believe we will move both back-up QB's to other posititons.  Mays throws like a girl and is not the answer in case of injury, and I believe Craycroft is still in HS.

Cannot say I agree. Last spring Mays threw stronger than any of them. The key is being accurate at that intensity. He is the future of this program if he wants to be.
Several of you guys made the same claims last spring.  But I watched him in several games and IMO, "he threw like a girl."  You watched the same games as I did; did you see it differently?  Spring ball is for getting in shape and working on fundamentals.  I remember watching spring ball when Belamy first arrived.  I thought his was going to be the second coming at RB.  Never did s _ _ _ in four years!  Spring is NO measure of ability.

But nothing he did in his limited duties last season was anything less that first-rate. That UNI game is already legendary. He is going to have to lose the job and so far this has not happened.
Please clarify.  I must be missunderstanding your comment, because I read this as the QB job is May's too lose?!?!?!  You do mean the 3 string behind Hunter and Trent don't you?  (maybe 4th behind Ricky?)

I think the number of reps will tell us more, but we will know nothing until fall camp. Mays is so much better of a QB than you are making him sound like. Maybe I misunderstand you. Yes he can end up moving to #2 behind a new QB after Wells, but he is the future of this team as of today. You know if he fell to #2 that would not necessarily be bad, I think Mays is very talented and would love to have a QB above his caliber.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 04:05:24 PM »
IAA
I don't think you miss-understand me.  I really don't think Mays is the answer at QB for a team that wants to be even 50/50.  Take a look at his HUDL tape again:
http://www.hudl.com/profile/1215093/nathan-mays
He runs, and he lofts "punts" downfield to wide open guys.  No zip on the ball, no reading defenses, good runner, yes, but -0- of the traits you look for in a passer.  When YSU uses him, he runs.  Obviously coaches don't think he can throw it either.
We'll see, and I hope you are right.  But good performance in spring ball is like "batting practice power" in baseball.  Looks good at the time, doesn't mean a thing when it counts.
I don't think Craycroft is going anywhere but a RS year either.  You simply can't go in with Hunter and Nate, even if Nate were the second comming!  You NEED 3 on the roster.  If we go with Hunter, Nate and Joe, we better have prayers for Well's health instead of a couple beers in the tailgate lots before every game!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!