Author Topic: YSU Bowling Program Cracks Top 25 in February NTCA Poll  (Read 5998 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
YSU Bowling Program Cracks Top 25 in February NTCA Poll
« on: February 02, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »
In its first year of competition, the Youngstown State women's bowling program has entered the top 25 on The National Tenpin Coaches Association's February poll, the organization announced on Monday.

Youngstown State received votes in the November poll, and it enters the top 25 this month for the first time in program history at No. 24. The Penguins received 70 points in the poll, just six behind No. 23 Valparaiso. St. Francis Brooklyn was 25th with 33 points.

"We have been working very hard this season, and breaking into the Top 25 as a first-year program is a huge accomplishment," YSU head coach Chelsea Gilliam said. "There are a lot of amazing teams out there, and we have had some very tough competition. We are going to continue to push to go even higher."

Nebraska is No. 1 in the poll, followed by Arkansas State, McKendree, Sam Houston State and Vanderbilt. The Penguins have beaten eight teams total that are ranked in the top 25, including Sam Houston State.

Youngstown State begins a busy stretch next weekend at the three-day SFA Stormin' Ladyjack Invitational in Houston, Texas. The Penguins will also bowl in tournaments hosted by Valparaiso, Monmouth and Vanderbilt in the next six weeks.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Bowling Program Cracks Top 25 in February NTCA Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »

I support these women & coaches for their efforts, but honestly, this sport is an embarrassment on our university.  This is a shame to balance Title 9 participation for women, and I find the NCAA's overbearing interference in individual schools sports offerings ridiculous.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:51:39 PM »
Title IX is not going away.  Universities must deal with it.  Bowling is actually a good way to balance scholarships by gender.  It is cheap, requires little equipment, insurance should be low since it is pretty hard to get hurt doing it, and practice time at a local establishment could even be secured by offering football program advertising in exchange.

I don't bowl, but the "sport" is really no different than golf.  Participants are skilled craftsmen, not athletes.  Not my thing but hardly an embarrassment.

The coach has done a remarkable job with these women, especially when you consider that she is battling a very serious illness simultaneously. 

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »
I actually went to the 2012 NCAA Women's National Bowling Championship in Wickliffe, OH (CLE east side suburb, I live close by).  Was kind of fun, but very long.  Ended up bolting after 3+ hours, but watched the end on ESPNU.

Only problem was, NCAA is sponsored by Coke, but the bowling alley served Pepsi products, so couldn't bring any soft drinks into the tournament seating area.

That said, good luck to the YSU Women's Bowling team.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:16 AM »
Title IX is not going away.  Universities must deal with it.  Bowling is actually a good way to balance scholarships by gender.  It is cheap, requires little equipment, insurance should be low since it is pretty hard to get hurt doing it, and practice time at a local establishment could even be secured by offering football program advertising in exchange.

I don't bowl, but the "sport" is really no different than golf.  Participants are skilled craftsmen, not athletes.  Not my thing but hardly an embarrassment.

The coach has done a remarkable job with these women, especially when you consider that she is battling a very serious illness simultaneously.
My embarrassment has nothing to do with the actual sport itself, or the women, or the coaches.  My embarrassment is for the university that actually had some committee sit down and say "ok, what is the cheapest way to get more NCAA women's sports to satisfy some silly rule” And somebody said "hey, women's bowling; no facilities or equipment’s, a few players so transportation in a van, etc."  Everybody around the table said "great" and voted it in.  It's a damn shame and they should share my embarrassment.  Good grief, even Ohio State, (sorry THE Ohio State) doesn't have women's bowling. 
This is NOT putting women's athletics on a par with men's athletics as Title IX intended.  It is a shame to meet a silly rule.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »
I actually went to the 2012 NCAA Women's National Bowling Championship in Wickliffe, OH (CLE east side suburb, I live close by).  Was kind of fun, but very long.  Ended up bolting after 3+ hours, but watched the end on ESPNU.

Only problem was, NCAA is sponsored by Coke, but the bowling alley served Pepsi products, so couldn't bring any soft drinks into the tournament seating area.

That said, good luck to the YSU Women's Bowling team.
Thanks for your post.  I admire your perseverance!  Unfortunately, what stuck with me from your post was the quote from the greatest philosophier of the last 50 years, Cuba Gooding Jr.  and his line that means soooo much in contemporary society, “Show me the money!”   The NCAA doesn't care about women's sports, or men's either, they care about THE MONEY!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »
Well people are looking for results and they are here ...seem to be real. The Lady Pens were in a large tournament and finished in 14th out of 23. Now I know this does not sound like much, but over half of the nations top teams competed and the girls (ranked #24) finished ahead of #10 Sacred Heart, #12 Monmouth and #13 Tulane.

This is first-year team and really should have no recruiting problems going forward; but of course they have a large freshman class :)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:03:09 PM »
This team is performing at a remarkable level.  Really almost unbelievable for a startup program.  They beat the #7 ranked team in Houston and lost several very close contests to highly ranked opponents.  The team features two sophomores and the rest are freshmen.  Logically, they should get even better in the years ahead. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »
At the Valpo tourney, Youngstown State beat host and 23rd-ranked Valparaiso 1,028-919 in its final win of the day, and the Penguins lost by 24 pins in a match with #2 Arkansas State, 965-931.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 04:24:44 PM »
Pretty cool
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 08:50:51 AM »
At the Valpo tourney, Youngstown State beat host and 23rd-ranked Valparaiso 1,028-919 in its final win of the day, and the Penguins lost by 24 pins in a match with #2 Arkansas State, 965-931.
If the football team losed by 24, that's bad, but a 24 pin lose to the #2 team in bowling it's damn good!