Author Topic: GROVE: YSU’s defenders score highest on report card  (Read 23139 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: GROVE: YSU’s defenders score highest on report card
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 09:12:16 AM »
I like most of the grades.

I am not as high on our Defense as he and most of you, as we really lack balance in my opinion and many opposing strategists (at least early on), let Rivers and Moss become bigger than they are. That is a good thing for Rivers, Moss and the YSU defense. However, by the end of the season, coaches knew what to do and it was play right at our DE. If coach Carl brought in the run support, just fire the ball down field, or if he did not, then run crossing roots or run the ball. I also felt we were under-prepared for Samford. I think another year of recruiting will do nicely in correcting the need to move players around like that.

Special teams needs to heal and to work. I like that we saw focus on it, but this is a year too late and I am not certain we have a qualified coach. Maybe we do not need one and another spring and summer will be enough? I think the skilled players are fine and hopefully will heal up over the next couple of months.

Offense. The last couple of games showed how much we needed Ruiz. He simply is a rare breed of back that is small/fast enough to get to the next level and also strong enough to play in the MVFC. I fear we go into 2017 needing two backs to accomplish this; maybe a much more traditional offense may be in order. Maybe coach Montgomery and coach Nic can find another Marcus Mason out there. Also we were just getting close to having enough line depth & now we lose Brock and Dylan. Lot's of recruiting needed this year and it may be a few JUCO's that keep us going next year. It would be nice if coach Nic has some connections in GA and AL for us and can bring size and speed.

We don't need a speed or a bigger size back.....we have one in McCaster......  We also have 4 young great backs behind him. I thought we all saw that within the games he played in this season. I agree with some of the things you said but what last couple of games showed us that we needed Ruiz? Eastern Washington game Jody had what 22 carries for 100 and McCaster had 20+ for 154.....in the championship game....Jody had 20+ and McCaster had 2.....I guess we needed Ruiz to get 20? McCaster has proving that he can carry the load we just have get him and our other backs more touchest. we need to be more concern about the defense.......Defense Ends , corners, safety's.... Try to replace the seniors that left for bigger things. Again we don't need Marcus Mason or no other Mason's unless they play defense.....
4 great backs behind McCaster?  Yes Alessi broke a couple long runs against the worst run defense I've ever seen in MSU, but beyond that.... 4 great backs???   Frankly McCaster seems like he will be OK, but he is far from Martin Ruiz right now.  We have no big power back, and if we are going to run a more traditional power set with Wells, then we need a big back and a speed back (Ruiz and Webb) and in my mind we have neither right now.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Grapestreet

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »
Wow I cant believe what I am reading...... I will save this  and regurgitate this back to you once the season is under way. If any one of these kids had the opportunity that our seniors ( Webb and Ruiz)had. you would be saying something totally different. none of us really seen these kids play.... ok maybe on HUDl but as we all know its different on this level. I have faith in these kids and the coaching staff. McCaster will be a beast and Alessi will change the game this year. if you remember they said that Jody was to small and Martin need to put on weight..... we need a fullback, etc...... Come on.... we will be fine with the backs that we have along with some red shirt backs coming in this year.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »
Wow I cant believe what I am reading...... I will save this  and regurgitate this back to you once the season is under way. If any one of these kids had the opportunity that our seniors ( Webb and Ruiz)had. you would be saying something totally different. none of us really seen these kids play.... ok maybe on HUDl but as we all know its different on this level. I have faith in these kids and the coaching staff. McCaster will be a beast and Alessi will change the game this year. if you remember they said that Jody was to small and Martin need to put on weight..... we need a fullback, etc...... Come on.... we will be fine with the backs that we have along with some red shirt backs coming in this year.
I'm looking forward to your regertitation (not really)
McCaster will be a servicable back, I'm not questioning that, but what I am questioning in the no need for additional help and the "four great young backs" behind Tevin.  Trust me, if they were great, we'd have seen them carrying the damn ball by now! 
It is kind of ironic that one of our first recruites is a big RB named Braxton Chapman to go along with a couple DE's so at least the coaching staff is seeing the same thing as I am, and not blindly going with whatever we've got.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »
McCaster is a good back but the addition of a big power back would really solidify our running game.

Also not bashing Wells, he had a good season and showed improvement and courage.  But stop our running game and he does not have the athletic ability to take charge and win the game.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »
McCaster is a good back but the addition of a big power back would really solidify our running game.

Also not bashing Wells, he had a good season and showed improvement and courage.  But stop our running game and he does not have the athletic ability to take charge and win the game.
"he does not have the athletic ability to take charge and win the game."  So that is why he lost against SIU and we failed to make the playoffs?  Perhaps you should watch the EWU game ending again and then tell me Hunter can't make the plays to win the game?  Or Samford or Wofford.  Your statement is among the dumbest things I've ever read.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »

"he does not have the athletic ability to take charge and win the game."  So that is why he lost against SIU and we failed to make the playoffs?  Perhaps you should watch the EWU game ending again and then tell me Hunter can't make the plays to win the game?  Or Samford or Wofford.  Your statement is among the dumbest things I've ever read.

go guins, why try to peel that scab back?  The only response to your comments can be to start listing Hunter's deficiencies.  Do you really want that?  Why create straw man arguments and dare others to knock them down? 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »

go guins, why try to peel that scab back?  The only response to your comments can be to start listing Hunter's deficiencies.  Do you really want that?  Why create straw man arguments and dare others to knock them down?
So let me get this straight, this dipstick takes a cheap shot at Hunter Wells and I am supposed to keep quiet, because if I point out the obvious, which I did, then you will be "forced" to straighten me out by pointing out all Hunter's weaknesses?  Well go for it, you arrogant ass.  Are you going to tell us what we all know, Hunter isn’t much of a runner and that the running QB’s offer a greater variety of play calling options?  Well, they also have a greater opportunity to sustain injuries,  like Hosick and Davis did, defeating at least a major part of your argument.  They left us “stuck” with Hunter and a great run to the NC game.  Go ahead tell me how every QB in American is so much better than Wells.  I’ll just key up the Samford game, or the Jacksonville State game or the Wofford game, or the EWU game and while away a couple enjoyable hours, ignoring you and the rest of the haters.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
The running game got us into the playoffs & to the championship game.

When JMU got ahead & stopped the running game we were done.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »

So let me get this straight, this dipstick takes a cheap shot at Hunter Wells and I am supposed to keep quiet, because if I point out the obvious, which I did, then you will be "forced" to straighten me out by pointing out all Hunter's weaknesses?  Well go for it, you arrogant a$$.  Are you going to tell us what we all know, Hunter isn’t much of a runner and that the running QB’s offer a greater variety of play calling options?  Well, they also have a greater opportunity to sustain injuries,  like Hosick and Davis did, defeating at least a major part of your argument.  They left us “stuck” with Hunter and a great run to the NC game.  Go ahead tell me how every QB in American is so much better than Wells.  I’ll just key up the Samford game, or the Jacksonville State game or the Wofford game, or the EWU game and while away a couple enjoyable hours, ignoring you and the rest of the haters.

As much as you put the ball on the tee, and handed me the driver, I'm not going there.  I've said it all before.  He's improved from his 2015 performance and earlier 2016 performance.  I'll leave it at that.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »
The running game got us into the playoffs & to the championship game.

When JMU got ahead & stopped the running game we were done.
Very simplistic.  First, JMU was better across the board.  We couldn't run and we couldn't stop their run, and if you are looking for the early turning point, it was clearly special teams.  They beat us on O, D and ST, frankly 28-14 was closer than the game I watched.
IF you are saying we couldn't have made it to the finals without the run game, that is absolutely true, but the flip side is also absolutely true, we couldn't have made it to the NC game without Hunter's passing, and without the special teams we would have had at least one, probably 2 more loses and never even been in the playoffs.  Football is a team sport, one phase is not more important than any other.  My only argument is against the haters who think Hunter Wells is a coward and an inferior athlete.  He isn't much of a runner, but more to athletic endeavors than running.  Ever watch most MLB pitchers run?  Sometimes throwing counts too! Plus Hunter ran for a couple key 1st downs during the playoffs, and while not very graceful, he got the job done when needed most.  We should be holding him up as a YSU classic hero instead of beating him up. 
Shame on the haters.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »
The only reason the running game with Webb and Ruiz got on track this year is because Wells was a legitimate threat in the passing game. He has shown better mobility in the pocket then last year and the ability to pull the ball down and pick up the necessary yards when needed and not get killed in the process. Minus the sacks he had a better yards per carry average then I would have ever expected. As good as JMU's pass rush was we do not have a single quarterback on our roster that could have escaped it

Offline Grapestreet

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »
McCaster will be a servicable back, I'm not questioning that, but what I am questioning in the no need for
additional help and the "four great young backs" behind Tevin.  Trust me, if they were great, we'd have seen them carrying the damn ball by now! 
It is kind of ironic that one of our first recruites is a big RB named Braxton Chapman to go along with a couple DE's so at least the coaching staff is seeing the same thing as I am, and not blindly going with whatever we've got.

Go Guins:::::don't be so goulash.... We are just having a conversation about football. We both are penguins fans and we both love the school, we both would like them to succeed in every sport..... I would buy the first round and the second.... also....You make a very good point. Thanks for the feed back....Go Guins......

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »
McCaster will be a servicable back, I'm not questioning that, but what I am questioning in the no need for
additional help and the "four great young backs" behind Tevin.  Trust me, if they were great, we'd have seen them carrying the damn ball by now! 

Go Guins:::::don't be so goulash.... We are just having a conversation about football. We both are penguins fans and we both love the school, we both would like them to succeed in every sport..... I would buy the first round and the second.... also....You make a very good point. Thanks for the feed back....Go Guins......
Agreed, both YSU fans and both want the same results.
You have me at a substatinal disadvantage because I have no idea what you mean by being "goulash."  I'm not Hungarian and I don't wear them, so you've got me. 
If you are accusing (need a better, softer word than accuse) me of being "hard" on you, then you may be right.  I get frustrated sometimes with the blind reverance to anybody who was recruited in a prior year.  We were not good enough to beat JMU and we are substantailly weaker now due to seniors leaving.  We need significant help almost everywere, RB DB and DE most of all.  You see the backup RB’s as being substantially better than I do.  Based on 2017 recruiting class, Bo agrees with me as Chapman and Turner look to be contributors.  Maybe Turner will move to WR as we need help there too.  He appears to be able to get separation and that was an issue in 2016. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
Not going to beat a dead horse about Hunter we all know what he can and cannot do.  All I know I witnessed a hell of run by the team and him.  I don't expect us to duplicate the past year.  I would hope that To at least make the playoffs.  My wish list would to get more athletic on the offensive line.  Get a big time WR and and find a couple of ball hawking corners and a safety that will put the boom on when called for Our biggest holes right now is the D line and the secondary.  James Madison attacked the secondary right out the box that is our true weakness right now.  But we need to focus on the positive and believe in Bo and what kind of kid he is recruiting.  He is recruiting a mentality and wants good kids and kids with a good football iQ.  Kinda like a team full of Bo's.  Next year should be interesting and we will find out how good the coaching staff will be.  There was too many positives that happened to us in 2016 and I think the 2017 team will benefit from it. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 09:22:41 AM »
Not going to beat a dead horse about Hunter we all know what he can and cannot do.  All I know I witnessed a hell of run by the team and him.  I don't expect us to duplicate the past year.  I would hope that To at least make the playoffs.  My wish list would to get more athletic on the offensive line.  Get a big time WR and and find a couple of ball hawking corners and a safety that will put the boom on when called for Our biggest holes right now is the D line and the secondary.  James Madison attacked the secondary right out the box that is our true weakness right now.  But we need to focus on the positive and believe in Bo and what kind of kid he is recruiting.  He is recruiting a mentality and wants good kids and kids with a good football iQ.  Kinda like a team full of Bo's.  Next year should be interesting and we will find out how good the coaching staff will be.  There was too many positives that happened to us in 2016 and I think the 2017 team will benefit from it.
Great post, wish I would have written it!
We lost 680 lbs. on the left side of the OL in Colucci and Eisenhuth.  I believe the YSU OL was bigger than the Buckeyes or the Browns.  Sorry, but 350 is just too heavy to move much.  I agree 100% with needing to be more athletic up front.  I also like what I see and read about recruits and quality people.  I guess getting burned with the drug suspensions struck a cord with the staff?  Anyway, IMO things are looking good!