Author Topic: GROVE: YSU’s defenders score highest on report card  (Read 23149 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: GROVE: YSU’s defenders score highest on report card
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 03:51:57 PM »
He has "committed" to at least 3 schools now, correct?  And yes, I am being judgmental on a transfer, with both physical issues and commitment issues (and perhaps geography issues if he thinks YSU is playing close to his Orlando FL home) .  They usually don't work out, but occasionally do.  Maybe I'm being too judgmental on Pollock, but paying attention to history is the best way to forecast the future, and most don't contribute much.  AND lest we forget, Irizarry stayed in school, got a degree and is working as an accountant.  MOST of these kids will never make a dime as an athlete, so it's good to see Louis finally "got it".
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
He has "committed" to at least 3 schools now, correct?  And yes, I am being judgmental on a transfer, with both physical issues and commitment issues (and perhaps geography issues if he thinks YSU is playing close to his Orlando FL home) .  They usually don't work out, but occasionally do.  Maybe I'm being too judgmental on Pollock, but paying attention to history is the best way to forecast the future, and most don't contribute much.  AND lest we forget, Irizarry stayed in school, got a degree and is working as an accountant.  MOST of these kids will never make a dime as an athlete, so it's good to see Louis finally "got it".

What physical issues? He played at the highest level of High School football is Florida and was all state as a Junior. Wasn't both wide receivers this year, Bailey and Patterson transfers and both are from Florida. As far as Pollock being away from home. According to his Rutgers profile his father grew up in Northeastern PA and his mother is from Ohio.
Commitment issues, you know nothing about the kid or recruiting obviously. He committed to Miss State as a Freshman and then left Rutgers because of a coaching change.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »

What physical issues? He played at the highest level of High School football is Florida and was all state as a Junior. Wasn't both wide receivers this year, Bailey and Patterson transfers and both are from Florida. As far as Pollock being away from home. According to his Rutgers profile his father grew up in Northeastern PA and his mother is from Ohio.
Commitment issues, you know nothing about the kid or recruiting obviously. He committed to Miss State as a Freshman and then left Rutgers because of a coaching change.
HIGH SCHOOL: Battled through injuries during senior campaign...helped the Panthers to a 9-4 record and an appearance in the regional final…competed in the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl in Daytona Beach, Fla….named 2014 FACA All-District...as a junior, collected 94 tackles, 14 TFLs, six sacks, two blocked kicks, an interception and defensive touchdown registered 86 tackles, 17 TFLs, eight sacks and two forced fumbles during sophomore season...named 2013 Class 8A All-State by FloridaHSFootball...competed on the USA U-18 team, serving as a team captain...named the Most Valuable Player of the 2012 National Underclassmen Combine in Orlando, Fla....consensus three-star recruit...No. 9 inside linebacker in Florida and rated No. 61 at his position in the country by Scout...rated the 89th-best linebacker by ESPN...a top-150 recruit in the Sunshine State by 247Sports...coach was Rodney Wells.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »

HIGH SCHOOL: Battled through injuries during senior campaign...helped the Panthers to a 9-4 record and an appearance in the regional final…competed in the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl in Daytona Beach, Fla….named 2014 FACA All-District...as a junior, collected 94 tackles, 14 TFLs, six sacks, two blocked kicks, an interception and defensive touchdown registered 86 tackles, 17 TFLs, eight sacks and two forced fumbles during sophomore season...named 2013 Class 8A All-State by FloridaHSFootball...competed on the USA U-18 team, serving as a team captain...named the Most Valuable Player of the 2012 National Underclassmen Combine in Orlando, Fla....consensus three-star recruit...No. 9 inside linebacker in Florida and rated No. 61 at his position in the country by Scout...rated the 89th-best linebacker by ESPN...a top-150 recruit in the Sunshine State by 247Sports...coach was Rodney Wells.

And what's your point. 8A- All State Junior Year
Number 61 ILB in the country. 89th best linebacker in the country by ESPN.
Like I said I will take 20 of him

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »

Mississippi State (1) Rutgers (2) YSU (3) let's check my math, 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 then I am correct, aren't I, he committed to 3 schools?  Quitting over a coaching change makes me suspicious. And not only is your math questionable, but your geography seems to be severely challenged.  If his father grew up in NE PA but lives in FL, then Youngstown would not be my idea of playing close to his home.  Rutgers is much closer to where his father used to be?!??!?
Physically issues were documented on the YSU website.  You might want to look.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 04:29:55 PM »

And what's your point. 8A- All State Junior Year
Number 61 ILB in the country. 89th best linebacker in the country by ESPN.
Like I said I will take 20 of him
You can have 20 of them,  be my guest.  You'll win a couple too I'm sure, but not many.  Nobody loaded with transfers ever does.  Find them, recruit them, coach them, win with them.  Best way.  Ocassional transfer can fill a hole, but 20 of them would be a disaster.  Maybe this kick can help with kick coverage.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 04:41:48 PM »

Mississippi State (1) Rutgers (2) YSU (3) let's check my math, 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 then I am correct, aren't I, he committed to 3 schools?  Quitting over a coaching change makes me suspicious. And not only is your math questionable, but your geography seems to be severely challenged.  If his father grew up in NE PA but lives in FL, then Youngstown would not be my idea of playing close to his home.  Rutgers is much closer to where his father used to be?!??!?
Physically issues were documented on the YSU website.  You might want to look.

Yes he was committed to 2 schools prior to YSU. No one questioned that. Not sure why that's a big deal. Also him leaving Rutgers because of a coaching change is not a big deal, he obviously didn't like the new staff, so why stay.
As far as geography is concerned. Yes Rutgers is closer to YSU. But his mothers family is in Ohio, which you conveniently ignored to prove your point. Playing at YSU is closer to his fathers family then playing at San Diego State or USF isn't it.

As far as physical issues go. It says he was hurt during his Senior Season in High School. Nothing since and doesn't say what it was. It could have been nothing more than a bad hamstring pull.

Why don't you go look at his tackles during Rutgers Spring game last spring. Before you pass judgement on him. A little research never hurt anyone and you might not sound so foolish.

My point on taking 20 kids like was for taking a kid who had multiple D1 offers, Team Captain of multiple All American teams. Graduated High School early. All Star player. Never read anything bad about the kid. Not that he is a transfer, but you spin it anyway you like

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »
Go Guins must be a parent of some kid who's spot got taken by a transfer. Sour grapes it sounds like.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 04:57:06 PM »
To be successful we will need transfers.  We are not like the Dakotas and the only show in town.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 05:06:55 PM »
Go Guins must be a parent of some kid who's spot got taken by a transfer. Sour grapes it sounds like.
Well, you've never been more wrong that that guess!  I just watch the players come in and go out without much contribution.  Last transfer we had that worked out before Moss was Lamar Mady but he came in with 4 transfers and he was the only one that contributed. 
The other thing about these guys is they almost always have only 2 years and it takes one to learn the system etc.  LOOK THEM UP, the facts support my position, not the "we need transfers because we have competition for plays etc. excuse making.  Good Grief, Ohio has 11,000,000 MORE people than ND.  They might be the only game in town, but it isn't much of a town!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »
Players who transferred to YSU/2016 achievements:

Most INTs: LeRoy Alexander.  Second most INTs: Jalyn Powell

Most receptions: Alvin Bailey

Avery Moss....nuff said
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
Players who transferred to YSU/2016 achievements:

Most INTs: LeRoy Alexander.  Second most INTs: Jalyn Powell

Most receptions: Alvin Bailey

Avery Moss....nuff said
Players that missed time do to failed drug tests Alexander and Powell.  Not sure about Powell, but Alexander has previous issues which followed him and let us down it the biggest games. 

Offline Grapestreet

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 06:10:58 PM »
I like most of the grades.

I am not as high on our Defense as he and most of you, as we really lack balance in my opinion and many opposing strategists (at least early on), let Rivers and Moss become bigger than they are. That is a good thing for Rivers, Moss and the YSU defense. However, by the end of the season, coaches knew what to do and it was play right at our DE. If coach Carl brought in the run support, just fire the ball down field, or if he did not, then run crossing roots or run the ball. I also felt we were under-prepared for Samford. I think another year of recruiting will do nicely in correcting the need to move players around like that.

Special teams needs to heal and to work. I like that we saw focus on it, but this is a year too late and I am not certain we have a qualified coach. Maybe we do not need one and another spring and summer will be enough? I think the skilled players are fine and hopefully will heal up over the next couple of months.

Offense. The last couple of games showed how much we needed Ruiz. He simply is a rare breed of back that is small/fast enough to get to the next level and also strong enough to play in the MVFC. I fear we go into 2017 needing two backs to accomplish this; maybe a much more traditional offense may be in order. Maybe coach Montgomery and coach Nic can find another Marcus Mason out there. Also we were just getting close to having enough line depth & now we lose Brock and Dylan. Lot's of recruiting needed this year and it may be a few JUCO's that keep us going next year. It would be nice if coach Nic has some connections in GA and AL for us and can bring size and speed.

We don't need a speed or a bigger size back.....we have one in McCaster......  We also have 4 young great backs behind him. I thought we all saw that within the games he played in this season. I agree with some of the things you said but what last couple of games showed us that we needed Ruiz? Eastern Washington game Jody had what 22 carries for 100 and McCaster had 20+ for 154.....in the championship game....Jody had 20+ and McCaster had 2.....I guess we needed Ruiz to get 20? McCaster has proving that he can carry the load we just have get him and our other backs more touchest. we need to be more concern about the defense.......Defense Ends , corners, safety's.... Try to replace the seniors that left for bigger things. Again we don't need Marcus Mason or no other Mason's unless they play defense.....

Offline Grapestreet

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 06:18:59 PM »
However, I am far higher than a C on Hunter.  Did anybody see this team getting to the NC game?  He made all the plays down the stretch but the "haters" just don't seem to care. 

Do McCaster and Webb know Wells "made all the plays"?  :D
No more than Rivers and Moss know it.  For those haters too dumb to figure it out on their own, when referring to Hunter making "all the plays" I am referring to plays at QB, which is the position he plays. 

I’ll tell you what, Webb, McCaster, Rivers and Moss all know without Wells stepping up and putting his uniform back on and stepping back on the field after being trashed by the coaching staff, they would have all been at home watching the playoffs on ESPN3.
Interesting that the haters who questioned Hunter's manhood for not running more, have been suspiciously quiet during our playoff run.  I guess watching Hunter tuck and run for some key 1st downs during the last 5 games had shut them up a bit.  Don't get me wrong, "run" is a word you should use judiciously when describing Wells, maybe "amble" would be better?  But the guy made the plays and only the most virulent haters won't recognize his accomplishments.

I agree with you Hunter step up and if he didn't step up no one could never point fingers at him. I believe that with hunter and McCaster, # 30 we will have a great back field in 2017..... We just need to fill our defensive secondary with key seniors leaving including defense ends

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 08:06:25 PM »
I do agree with you Grapestreet and I am not trying to bash McCaster, but he really is a more traditional back. Moves more like a fullback. Although yes he did open his game up a couple of times this year & looked good. Not sure he can do that against a stout run-defense consistently though. That being said I hope I am wrong and want to give him every opportunity in the world to take over at #1. He caught my eye at camp. He will really need to step up his receiving game to take over at #1.