Author Topic: 570 tonight  (Read 19087 times)

Offline Dukester

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 570 tonight
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
I was at all the championship games.  The 91 game my guess there was 500-700 of us.  I have the same picture that Strollo has that was taken and we were lost in a sea of green.  But I have to believe the 3 years in Marshall we sent more than 1k.  It seems when we went in 97 and 99 there was at least 2k? Am I wrong?

I was at all of them. The Villanova game had more people than the final game in Huntington, kind of odd. Then again, 1/2 of Ytown comes from Philly area. I still think we had the most back in 1994. It looked like we had around 4k-to 5k, but I also think that could have been an illusion because Boise had very few people there. The tailgating in Georgia was fantastic ...it was a sea of red, but the game was certainly not. This year is very similar to that. The team caught everyone by surprise back then people did not know what to do. I was pretty young back in 1979, but that seems to be the biggest final crowd that I remember. 

Take those JMU numbers with a grain of salt as well. As I understand from my two calls, they took more opening day tickets that we did, but neither team used all of their 3k paper tickets and neither team ordered a second set beyond team and student seats, which are fixed at 125 on top of the two per player. I am also told that the player seats are not complimentary as it would be considered compensation? I do not buy that. Can any former players shed some light on how family tickets work?

IAA, I am not a player, but as screwed up as it is, you are correct. The University has to eat the cost of the tickets for the player's family. It would be considered compensation to give two free tickets to the parents so they can watch the game. The all knowing NCAA sure gets that one right  ::). In seriousness, that rule is archaic, doesn't seem like it was ever necessary or relevant and needs to change. No reason the athlete's parents shouldn't be allowed to go, and I myself would not consider it compensation. Sure, make anything above two non-complimentary or something, but jeez NCAA.

I am a parent of a player. And my ticket is not free. They were not given any free tickets

Ice, thanks for the comment. I meant to say parents didn't get free tickets. My post did say the university ate the cost but then correctly stated the NCAA considers it compensation to give tickets to players family. I apologize didn't mean to double speak there. It's too bad too.

Kinda silly they are given free tickets when being recruited and not when they attend the school.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
I was at all the championship games.  The 91 game my guess there was 500-700 of us.  I have the same picture that Strollo has that was taken and we were lost in a sea of green.  But I have to believe the 3 years in Marshall we sent more than 1k.  It seems when we went in 97 and 99 there was at least 2k? Am I wrong?

I was at all of them. The Villanova game had more people than the final game in Huntington, kind of odd. Then again, 1/2 of Ytown comes from Philly area. I still think we had the most back in 1994. It looked like we had around 4k-to 5k, but I also think that could have been an illusion because Boise had very few people there. The tailgating in Georgia was fantastic ...it was a sea of red, but the game was certainly not. This year is very similar to that. The team caught everyone by surprise back then people did not know what to do. I was pretty young back in 1979, but that seems to be the biggest final crowd that I remember. 

Take those JMU numbers with a grain of salt as well. As I understand from my two calls, they took more opening day tickets that we did, but neither team used all of their 3k paper tickets and neither team ordered a second set beyond team and student seats, which are fixed at 125 on top of the two per player. I am also told that the player seats are not complimentary as it would be considered compensation? I do not buy that. Can any former players shed some light on how family tickets work?

IAA, I am not a player, but as screwed up as it is, you are correct. The University has to eat the cost of the tickets for the player's family. It would be considered compensation to give two free tickets to the parents so they can watch the game. The all knowing NCAA sure gets that one right  ::). In seriousness, that rule is archaic, doesn't seem like it was ever necessary or relevant and needs to change. No reason the athlete's parents shouldn't be allowed to go, and I myself would not consider it compensation. Sure, make anything above two non-complimentary or something, but jeez NCAA.

I am a parent of a player. And my ticket is not free. They were not given any free tickets

Ice, thanks for the comment. I meant to say parents didn't get free tickets. My post did say the university ate the cost but then correctly stated the NCAA considers it compensation to give tickets to players family. I apologize didn't mean to double speak there. It's too bad too.

Kinda silly they are given free tickets when being recruited and not when they attend the school.

It's even sillier that we got them all year long

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 01:14:57 PM »

It's even sillier that we got them all year long

That may have to do with the archaic NCAA rules around student athletes and benefits.  Recruits are not students

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
How many topics do I have to lock to keep people from getting on this ticket subject ... it is a non-issue. If you want to worry about tickets sales; tell us about how many new Penguin fans you created by purchasing Penguin season tickets for the first time user. Look at the number of people attending home games, especially in the play-off on the same day as the damn Buckeyes ...this is your issue and it is began being addressed in September and will finish being addressed in two days. So let's act like it! MOVE ON and Go Guins!!! Here is two things that you can count on:

1. Both the NCAA, our media and our Athletic Department stated that bot clubs ordered only paper tickets and that the entire allotments were not taken.

2. No matter how many fans JMU brings to the game it will not change the outcome one way or another.

Also Duke Fans ... I consider myself to be quite the fan. I have done this site since the 1980's. My fmily purchased life seats back in 1983 when they offered them to get Stambaugh built and no one else has ever owned our seats. The last home game that I missed was the day of my grandson's birth in 2014; then before that, my wedding day in 1987 (Akron game yet, I could kill myself looking back ...LOL). I save up my money every year for what ever away FBS game that we are going to have. I have been lucky (financially) lately with games close bye at OSU, Pitt and WVa. However, with Christmas, nephews and grandkids, this year I do not have the funds for the trip to TX. However, I have had the privilege of seeing (in-person) national championship games 7 other times; can any of you say that? It does not mater how many tickets that you think your school has sold; as long as there is at least 1 YSU fan present to see the Guins hoist up that trophy.