Author Topic: 570 tonight  (Read 19085 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
570 tonight
« on: January 02, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »
Strollo is on in a min.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 570 tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »
Wow.  Did anyone listen.  I dont even want to say how many fans he estimated were going to Frisco....its not many though.

Offline supermario21

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:00:54 PM »
Missed it. Will there be a pod anywhere? Or at least a summary.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »
He said based on what the NCAA has told them and zip code sales there are about 1,400 people from Youngstown zip code and a contingent from Texas.  That's the estimate.  He also said in other NC years there were 500 to 1000 fans. 

They hope that the people in Youngstown get to see the high quality of football in the FCS and that will hopefully translate into better season ticket sales next year
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:02:49 PM by penguinpower »

Offline supermario21

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 08:06:28 PM »
Yikes. The Madison forum folks have basically been saying they're expecting 10-12 K of their fans. Unfortunately for Strollo I doubt the way the school handled the ticket thing endears themselves to too many rank and file Penguin Club folks. This should've been the perfect year to cash in on all the new enthusiasm, but whatever, hopefully it doesn't matter on Saturday. Just think about how many students they could have sent if they took the full allotment. They sold out of 125 in 45 minutes...

Strollo is full of crap though about only 500-1000 fans being the norm. Maybe for a couple times in Huntington, but if you go back and watch the 99 game on Youtube, they probably had at least a third to half the fans there. An entire sideline is almost red.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:07:13 PM by supermario21 »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:27:34 PM »
Yikes. The Madison forum folks have basically been saying they're expecting 10-12 K of their fans. Unfortunately for Strollo I doubt the way the school handled the ticket thing endears themselves to too many rank and file Penguin Club folks. This should've been the perfect year to cash in on all the new enthusiasm, but whatever, hopefully it doesn't matter on Saturday. Just think about how many students they could have sent if they took the full allotment. They sold out of 125 in 45 minutes...

Strollo is full of crap though about only 500-1000 fans being the norm. Maybe for a couple times in Huntington, but if you go back and watch the 99 game on Youtube, they probably had at least a third to half the fans there. An entire sideline is almost red.

I failed to mention that he also stated population decline.

Offline supermario21

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »
Population decline is a perfectly valid reason. Also, ESPN3. You just need a cable subscription and a chromecast to watch every game in HD. Look at the bowl games. All levels of football sans the Rose Bowl and the biggest of games have faced attendance declines. Can we do better as a fan base, absolutely. Can the athletic/ticket department also do better? Absolutely.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »

How long are we going to use that excuse ? Jesus.

ytowngirl

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 09:27:03 PM »

How long are we going to use that excuse ? Jesus.

I highly doubt a lot of people in Youngstown can even afford to make the trip.  James Madison is a little different as it pulls from the major cities in Virginia. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 09:28:20 PM »
I was at all the championship games.  The 91 game my guess there was 500-700 of us.  I have the same picture that Strollo has that was taken and we were lost in a sea of green.  But I have to believe the 3 years in Marshall we sent more than 1k.  It seems when we went in 97 and 99 there was at least 2k? Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 09:38:19 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

ytowngirl

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 09:30:56 PM »
I was at all the championship games.  The 91 game my guess there was 500-700 of us.  I have the same picture that was taken and we were lost in a sea of green.  But I have to believe the 3 years in Marshall we sent more than 1k.  It seems when we went in 97 and 99 there was at least 2k? Am I wrong?

I was there and I'd guess it was about that.  We made the drive.  The drive home in 99 sucked.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »
I was at all the championship games.  The 91 game my guess there was 500-700 of us.  I have the same picture that Strollo has that was taken and we were lost in a sea of green.  But I have to believe the 3 years in Marshall we sent more than 1k.  It seems when we went in 97 and 99 there was at least 2k? Am I wrong?

I was at all of them. The Villanova game had more people than the final game in Huntington, kind of odd. Then again, 1/2 of Ytown comes from Philly area. I still think we had the most back in 1994. It looked like we had around 4k-to 5k, but I also think that could have been an illusion because Boise had very few people there. The tailgating in Georgia was fantastic ...it was a sea of red, but the game was certainly not. This year is very similar to that. The team caught everyone by surprise back then people did not know what to do. I was pretty young back in 1979, but that seems to be the biggest final crowd that I remember. 

Take those JMU numbers with a grain of salt as well. As I understand from my two calls, they took more opening day tickets that we did, but neither team used all of their 3k paper tickets and neither team ordered a second set beyond team and student seats, which are fixed at 125 on top of the two per player. I am also told that the player seats are not complimentary as it would be considered compensation? I do not buy that. Can any former players shed some light on how family tickets work?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:24:56 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 10:40:29 PM »
Is the YSU band going ?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 10:46:01 PM »
For the sake of argument, let's say the population of the Youngstown area is zero, the enrollment at YSU is zero, total 2016 FB attendance was zero, and no Penguin fan has ever attended a YSU championship game.  Why would you still not accept the maximum allotment of the risk-free e-tickets?  The only way you undersupply your fan base is if there is a demand for >4k tickets, which would be a great problem to have.  The excuse offered from the AD to Charles Grove was concern that JMU fans would buy our seats (despite there being safeguards against that)....so he gave our seats to JMU wholesale.  There simply is no excusing that away.  There is no blaming the fans of yesterday or today.  It was pure incompetence.  Plain and simple.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline supermario21

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 10:56:15 PM »
I wonder if we could put in a FOIA for how much YSU bid for playoff games. JMU almost always loses bids to their home playoff games. Heck, it's likely most schools outside of NDSU end up whiffing on the bids. I would think the band should be there, I believe each school gets up to 350 band tickets. JMU can't bring there whole band for the seats but like Jacksonville State last year they may be able to be seated elsewhere.