Author Topic: 2017 Recruiting class  (Read 112849 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Recruiting class
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2017, 12:27:47 PM »
Fever, thanks for the numbers breakdown on Bo's two recruiting classes.  I agree that it is very positive that most are still in the program.  This is how you build a program properly, a program that eventually will be able to compete every year.
I agree 100%!   I really like the way the new class is shaping up.  If, and it's a BIG IF, the DE recruits can play at a reasonably high level, this team could be better than last.  LB's best group in a while, RB is deeper, QB's more experienced, WR more experienced.  OL more athletic, CB's probably a little better and kicking should be healthy.  Zack's injury hurt us in a few games.

I would disagree a little here. We will never see the caliber of DE's again like Rivers and Moss. The best DE's in all of FCS and probably more than half of the mid majors in FBS. DB's will not be better. I don't count out Bo and Carl defensively but they'll have work cut out for them in the secondary. RB's also wont be as deep. We will miss Ruiz and his good instincts and finding the hole and Webb's speed. Agree with the LB's though. Very, very good group. QB's and WR's will also be more experienced. Townsend, Bailey and Patterson all going to be seniors.
My only comment on your DE assessment is to include all of FBS.  We'll see how many teams have both DE's drafted, my guess not too damn many.  (Alabama for one)  BUT, we have very solid returning DT's and LB's so we won't need "carried" the way we were in most of 2016.  Nobody talks about it much, but Lee Wright's return for the playoffs was BIG.  Assuming no more gun play, he should be here for all of 2017.  I am very high on additions at RB as well as McCaster and Alessi.  I think will be at nearly as good early, could be even better later.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »
Nice points Chief. I do think Carl was put in a hard way with the number of quality players, as I can think of no other reason that we moved our safeties so much. I am really hoping we can recruit our way out of this. Then we do not need to have a Rivers & Moss ... although I will certainly take another pair :)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »
DJ Smalls, a 6-1 DB from Hutchinson CC is committed and already enrolled.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2017, 09:24:42 AM »
DJ Smalls, a 6-1 DB from Hutchinson CC is committed and already enrolled.
His HUDL video lists him as a self-described "lock down corner".  Two things.  We need a lock down corner (2 actually) and you need corners with confidence. Kid seems to have an attitude on the field.  Looks like a good pickup.
What we don't need is the Hutchinson CC QB.  He threw what, 4 ints in the spring game? 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »
I think I am noticing something in this year’s recruiting.  In Bo's first class (He signed after national signing day in 2014, so transfers of Moss and Alexander were only impact that year) There wasn’t much of a pattern to his recruiting.  Almost looked like he was recruiting backup depth across the board.  This year it looks like he is filling in specific spots.  IE, top recruit is D end with a total of 3 and now CB’s with Lezzer and Smalls.  Looks like Pelini is working on a plan to get back to Frisco!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »
I think I am noticing something in this year’s recruiting.  In Bo's first class (He signed after national signing day in 2014, so transfers of Moss and Alexander were only impact that year) There wasn’t much of a pattern to his recruiting.  Almost looked like he was recruiting backup depth across the board.  This year it looks like he is filling in specific spots.  IE, top recruit is D end with a total of 3 and now CB’s with Lezzer and Smalls.  Looks like Pelini is working on a plan to get back to Frisco!

I also think it was important to the school (and Bo) that he go after as much local talent as possible. I really think it is important as well and can really payoff for us in the long run.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

ytowngirl

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2017, 12:13:12 AM »
http://m.herosports.com/news/fcs-recruiting-top-25-commitments-missouri-valley-football-mvfc

I can see South Dakota really improving in the next few years.  One of my real good Navy buddies played football for them and is a current grad assistant with the athletic department.  He always says good things about traveling to YSU and when YSU goes there.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »
Jacob Coates, Warren JFK WR, has verbally committed.  Kid has speed.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/2769101/jacob-coates
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »
Starting to get a little concerned with our recruiting 5'9 to 5'10 guys are really 5'8 guys.   I seen the other recruiting classes and we are not matching up at all.  What am I missing here. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2017, 01:31:43 PM »
Westerville North OL Derek Downs has committed.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2017, 02:24:55 PM »
Starting to get a little concerned with our recruiting 5'9 to 5'10 guys are really 5'8 guys.   I seen the other recruiting classes and we are not matching up at all.  What am I missing here.

You're missing a lot. Relax.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »
I will going to trust Bo on it.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »
This would be FAR worse if it were Slocum's recruits! 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2017, 09:31:54 AM »
Jacob Coates, Warren JFK WR, has verbally committed.  Kid has speed.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/2769101/jacob-coates
I like Coates' speed, but please watch the video with particular attention to the downfield blocking, particularly on punt returns.  The quy we should recruit is the special teams coach at Kennedy!  Best I've blocking punt return group I've ever seen.