Author Topic: Eastern Washington  (Read 66337 times)

Online Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Washington
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2016, 09:03:03 AM »
Weather is looking better for todays game.  9 degrees for the kickoff!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
Dude:

I think you misunderstand our run game. Based on participation, if you read the issues we had this past week, under normal conditions our #1 back is Martin Ruiz, he is #1 all-time #1 in scoring, #1 in 1st-downs, and 20-yards from being #1 in rushing yards all-time. We have always been a running offense, so he is ahead of some pretty illustrious backs. We think of him as "thunder". Jody Webb is the "lightning". A space back we look to get the ball to him in any ways possible. When he gets to the next level, he gets big yards. McCaster is a natural FB, but we use him probably even more as a TB. He is a low-to-the-ground back and very efficient. I have lots of confidence in him, even though he is a frosh. Behind him we have another speed guy that only has couple of carries. His name is Joe Alessi. With the issues going on this week, I expect you will see him quite a bit. We average about 50-60 runs per game, with Ruiz taking a bulk of that load.

It was my understanding that Ruiz wouldn't be playing in this game due to that gun charge.  I think he only had one rush against Wofford.  But even without Ruiz, I think your run game is plenty capable.  I thought Webb looked outstanding against Wofford, and YSU looked very complete against JSU.

I promise, I we don't take YSU lightly.  However, I get the sense that a good portion of your fanbase takes EWU lightly, which I really don't mind that much.  I think there is a perception that the Big Fluffy conference is a paper tiger.  Surely we can't hang with the mighty MVFC...even though we already have, and not just this season.  Recent past playoff performances show that EWU can play well with MVFC playoff teams.   

I think your O-line, Webb (and Ruiz if he plays), and D are all elite.  We will have our work cut out for us.  You guys proved last week you will play the game to the end and endure a bad game but still come out on top.  I don't think either team will roll over, and it will be a fight to the end.

Yes, but when we get our offense going with Web, it is up tempo. We will drive the field in a couple of minutes. Web cannot carry that load. To negate your offensive firepower, we need to do 2 things:

1. Never fail to score on any possession, as our secondary will not stop your O from scoring. So we will need to do it up front.

2. Slow the tempo on offense.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 09:15:18 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »
It's game day! Let's go penguins  fb

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »
Going to be tough missing some key starters but next man up mentality and lets go boys!!!!!!

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2016, 01:51:30 PM »
I know Nathan Mays and I can tell you with 100% certainty that he is playing today and did not fail a drug test! The media needs to support YSU and not print rumors!!!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »
I know Nathan Mays and I can tell you with 100% certainty that he is playing today and did not fail a drug test! The media needs to support YSU and not print rumors!!!
SHAME on WKBN for posting that rumor. I heard it last night and was told otherwise as well.

Online Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2016, 03:41:56 PM »
It appears they updated the story and removed the statement about Mays

Online Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2016, 03:45:28 PM »
In case anybody had heard the rumors put out today about me being suspended or not playing, they are all false & I'll see ya on the field!✊🏻

Quote from Nathan's twitter 

Offline dudeitsaid

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2016, 04:33:10 PM »
Wow, no smack at all here...I'm sorry you guys have to deal with this in a post season game.  I know you guys have depth, or you wouldn't have made it this far. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »

I am not sure why the local media got so caught up in this story, yea I get the playoff angle but most times they give YSU very little press with such matters
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:46:03 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ytowngirl

« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2016, 05:53:37 PM »

I am not sure why the local media got so caught up in this story, yea I get the playoff angle but most times they give YSU very little press with such matters

Because the local media is a bunch of amateurs who can't get picked up by the big boys.  They don't care about YSU until it's relevant or enough to spread stupid rumors.

Online Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2016, 06:12:39 PM »
Hey people we have a game coming up in 20 min!!!!  Time to be Youngstown strong!!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
LETS GOOOOOO PENGUINS!!!!!!
I just got off work, I have the game up and the pregame show on at my apartment!  fb 8)

Offline dudeitsaid

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2016, 10:58:39 PM »
Just wanted to come on and congratulate you guys. Way to gut out that win.  That INT when we were trying to go up three scores really took the wind out of our sales, and changed the complexion of the game.  And that last drive was a typical, MVFC, shove it down your throat while taking all the time off the clock type of drive.  Good luck in Frisco, there is no doubt you guys earned it!