Author Topic: Eastern Washington  (Read 68077 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Washington
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2016, 09:03:16 PM »
Please be civil.  There isn't a single one of us on the field.   Both teams are outstanding.  Should be fun

I'm too busy running stats through 100's of computerized simulations and googling youtube videos.

My analysis has revealed, without a shadow of a doubt, that the eagles will fumble less due to their large talons, while the penguins will gain more yards after contact due to their low center of gravity. I am also 100% certain that the cold will affect EWU more, or YSU more, or both equally.

What's this "fun" you are referring to?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:04:10 PM by HappyPenguin »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2016, 10:12:32 PM »
Lol😃😃

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2016, 11:31:40 PM »
I think this is my favorite highlight video from this year
  Love the Rockyear theme. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-heNMmLv0

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
Dude:

I think you misunderstand our run game. Based on participation, if you read the issues we had this past week, under normal conditions our #1 back is Martin Ruiz, he is #1 all-time #1 in scoring, #1 in 1st-downs, and 20-yards from being #1 in rushing yards all-time. We have always been a running offense, so he is ahead of some pretty illustrious backs. We think of him as "thunder". Jody Webb is the "lightning". A space back we look to get the ball to him in any ways possible. When he gets to the next level, he gets big yards. McCaster is a natural FB, but we use him probably even more as a TB. He is a low-to-the-ground back and very efficient. I have lots of confidence in him, even though he is a frosh. Behind him we have another speed guy that only has couple of carries. His name is Joe Alessi. With the issues going on this week, I expect you will see him quite a bit. We average about 50-60 runs per game, with Ruiz taking a bulk of that load.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:39:09 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2016, 12:59:28 PM »
Martin Ruiz, he is #1 all-time #1 in scoring, #1 in 1st-downs, and 20-yards from being #1 in rushing yards all-time.

Yo, Adrian Brown is #1 in TDs scored.  Ruiz is 4th, and he's 20 yards behind leader Jamaine Cook in all purpose yards not rushing yards.  Not sure where you found that 1st-downs stat, but that sounds like something Tamron Smith would lead.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »
Martin Ruiz, he is #1 all-time #1 in scoring, #1 in 1st-downs, and 20-yards from being #1 in rushing yards all-time.

Yo, Adrian Brown is #1 in TDs scored.  Ruiz is 4th, and he's 20 yards behind leader Jamaine Cook in all purpose yards not rushing yards.  Not sure where you found that 1st-downs stat, but that sounds like something Tamron Smith would lead.

I could be wrong, if so I am sorry. Going off the JSU announcer on the TV coverage of JSU game. I assume he got his stats from YSU SID. They said he passed up both Clark and Cook during that game. He passed up Smith in 1st-downs. Those could have been single game records ...but that is not what he announced.

Either way he is a truly phenomenal TB and he is our Bread & Butter back. Still scares me to think what will happen Saturday.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »

I could be wrong, if so I am sorry. Going off the JSU announcer on the TV coverage of JSU game. I assume he got his stats from YSU SID. They said he passed up both Clark and Cook during that game. He passed up Smith in 1st-downs. Those could have been single game records ...but that is not what he announced.

Either way he is a truly phenomenal TB and he is our Bread & Butter back. Still scares me to think what will happen Saturday.
In 2 games our bread and butter back's name is Tevin McCaster.  Nothing like getting started a couple games early.  More concerned about who else we are missing.  If it is DE or FS we are going to be hurting.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline EaglesOwntheSky

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »

Didn't realize Ruiz was such a producer for your offense. I was under the impression that YSU employed a running back by committee sort of approach. How much did Ruiz sitting impact the performance against Wofford?

Edit: The stats sheet I was looking at had Wofford and Youngstown mixed up.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:38:38 PM by EaglesOwntheSky »

Offline BishopsFather2310

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2016, 10:52:37 PM »
If I didn't know any better I would think this is a EWU forum with all these "if we wanna have a shot" quotes!!! First off no team has stopped or even really slowed our ground game, not even NDSU or SDSU, that's was just at a time when our offense was putrid and we were turning the ball over at an alarming rate! Well those days are behind us and we are playing great ball in every phase of the game other than last week's kicking game mishaps because Kennedy was hurt. EWU run defense is terrible, their biggest weakest is our biggest strength. You can run the football in any weather but I'm not sure you can throw with the same effectiveness @ 0° so advantage Guins there also! Another thing guys are losing the minds over is how many times can we run the ball without Ruiz, well Webb carried it 37 times Saturday with 1 fumble, as a team I think we ran it 49 times and Ruiz carried it 1x so that's something we need not worry about! Webb just broke the school record for single game All-Purpose yards and has been on an 1st Team All-American type rare since his knee is back to 100% but we are worried about someone that is not gonna b playing? Doesn't make sense to me. Now I am worried about both of our Safties being out but Powell has played well all year so I think we will b ok. This isn't the same team from earlier in the year, they will b fine!!! No one dimensional team can beat this Guins team, period!!! See you guys in Frisco!

Thanks for the laughs. Ask Richmond and their 1.3 ypc how they felt about our run defense.

And EWU one dimensional? Please. Our short passing game is our run game, not to mention when GG takes it up the middle because your back 7 is all in coverage, afraid to give up any more deep balls. We put up 44 on NDSU, and only lost after missing at FG at the end of regulation.

Am I saying YSU doesn't stand a chance? Not at all. But to act like YSU is a lock to win... laughable.
The fact that you said your passing gnaw is your run game lets me know your one dimensional, no your run game is your run game and passing is passing! Like I said, the Penguins won't lose to a one dimensional team, now if you guys can have an effective run game to go with your passing attack tomorrow, then you guys may win but if u don't, the Guins will be in Frisco in a few weeks. And also I'm pretty sure I was writing that message to my fellow Guin fans so I really don't understand why you commented but either way, have a good one and good luck tomorrow night...

Offline dudeitsaid

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2016, 11:22:47 PM »
Dude:

I think you misunderstand our run game. Based on participation, if you read the issues we had this past week, under normal conditions our #1 back is Martin Ruiz, he is #1 all-time #1 in scoring, #1 in 1st-downs, and 20-yards from being #1 in rushing yards all-time. We have always been a running offense, so he is ahead of some pretty illustrious backs. We think of him as "thunder". Jody Webb is the "lightning". A space back we look to get the ball to him in any ways possible. When he gets to the next level, he gets big yards. McCaster is a natural FB, but we use him probably even more as a TB. He is a low-to-the-ground back and very efficient. I have lots of confidence in him, even though he is a frosh. Behind him we have another speed guy that only has couple of carries. His name is Joe Alessi. With the issues going on this week, I expect you will see him quite a bit. We average about 50-60 runs per game, with Ruiz taking a bulk of that load.

It was my understanding that Ruiz wouldn't be playing in this game due to that gun charge.  I think he only had one rush against Wofford.  But even without Ruiz, I think your run game is plenty capable.  I thought Webb looked outstanding against Wofford, and YSU looked very complete against JSU.

I promise, I we don't take YSU lightly.  However, I get the sense that a good portion of your fanbase takes EWU lightly, which I really don't mind that much.  I think there is a perception that the Big Fluffy conference is a paper tiger.  Surely we can't hang with the mighty MVFC...even though we already have, and not just this season.  Recent past playoff performances show that EWU can play well with MVFC playoff teams.   

I think your O-line, Webb (and Ruiz if he plays), and D are all elite.  We will have our work cut out for us.  You guys proved last week you will play the game to the end and endure a bad game but still come out on top.  I don't think either team will roll over, and it will be a fight to the end. 

Offline dudeitsaid

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2016, 11:29:42 PM »
If I didn't know any better I would think this is a EWU forum with all these "if we wanna have a shot" quotes!!! First off no team has stopped or even really slowed our ground game, not even NDSU or SDSU, that's was just at a time when our offense was putrid and we were turning the ball over at an alarming rate! Well those days are behind us and we are playing great ball in every phase of the game other than last week's kicking game mishaps because Kennedy was hurt. EWU run defense is terrible, their biggest weakest is our biggest strength. You can run the football in any weather but I'm not sure you can throw with the same effectiveness @ 0° so advantage Guins there also! Another thing guys are losing the minds over is how many times can we run the ball without Ruiz, well Webb carried it 37 times Saturday with 1 fumble, as a team I think we ran it 49 times and Ruiz carried it 1x so that's something we need not worry about! Webb just broke the school record for single game All-Purpose yards and has been on an 1st Team All-American type rare since his knee is back to 100% but we are worried about someone that is not gonna b playing? Doesn't make sense to me. Now I am worried about both of our Safties being out but Powell has played well all year so I think we will b ok. This isn't the same team from earlier in the year, they will b fine!!! No one dimensional team can beat this Guins team, period!!! See you guys in Frisco!

Thanks for the laughs. Ask Richmond and their 1.3 ypc how they felt about our run defense.

And EWU one dimensional? Please. Our short passing game is our run game, not to mention when GG takes it up the middle because your back 7 is all in coverage, afraid to give up any more deep balls. We put up 44 on NDSU, and only lost after missing at FG at the end of regulation.

Am I saying YSU doesn't stand a chance? Not at all. But to act like YSU is a lock to win... laughable.
The fact that you said your passing gnaw is your run game lets me know your one dimensional, no your run game is your run game and passing is passing! Like I said, the Penguins won't lose to a one dimensional team, now if you guys can have an effective run game to go with your passing attack tomorrow, then you guys may win but if u don't, the Guins will be in Frisco in a few weeks. And also I'm pretty sure I was writing that message to my fellow Guin fans so I really don't understand why you commented but either way, have a good one and good luck tomorrow night...

I'm not sure why being "one dimensional" is so bad if it works.  Heck, Wofford almost scalped you, and you don't get more one dimensional than them.  It seems "one dimensional" is only perceived as bad if the dimension is passing.

I don't think we are as one dimensional as Cal Poly, the Citidel, or Wofford.  But we are obviously skewed towards the pass, and are the top passing team in the playoffs.  There have been times where that has really concerned me.  But that concern has been unnecessary, as every defense we've faced has tried to stop our passing game, and failed.  And, what's funny, is our most effective periods of running is when teams focus on trying to shut down our passing game.  Heck, I have to admit, I've really expected someone to figure out our offense, and stop it.  But for the most part, that really hasn't happened, be it FBS WSU, NDSU, UCA, Richmond, or UNI (whose effectiveness on D was more a factor of Gubrud not playing well in the wind than the UNI D).  Maybe you guys will be the ones to do it...and if you are, you will win.  I hope, and I believe that will not be the case.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:33:26 PM by dudeitsaid »

Offline BishopsFather2310

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2016, 12:49:10 AM »

I'm not sure why being "one dimensional" is so bad if it works.  Heck, Wofford almost scalped you, and you don't get more one dimensional than them.  It seems "one dimensional" is only perceived as bad if the dimension is passing.

I don't think we are as one dimensional as Cal Poly, the Citidel, or Wofford.  But we are obviously skewed towards the pass, and are the top passing team in the playoffs.  There have been times where that has really concerned me.  But that concern has been unnecessary, as every defense we've faced has tried to stop our passing game, and failed.  And, what's funny, is our most effective periods of running is when teams focus on trying to shut down our passing game.  Heck, I have to admit, I've really expected someone to figure out our offense, and stop it.  But for the most part, that really hasn't happened, be it FBS WSU, NDSU, UCA, Richmond, or UNI (whose effectiveness on D was more a factor of Gubrud not playing well in the wind than the UNI D).  Maybe you guys will be the ones to do it...and if you are, you will win.  I hope, and I believe that will not be the case.
Name 1 "one dimensional" team that has ever won a Title in football!!! I'll wait!!! Who cares what Wofford almost did, who cares who you guys almost did against NDSU, who cares about Washington State or whoever else you mentioned. The Patriots vs The Giants (twice), Panthers vs Broncos, Cardinals vs Steelers, Rams vs Patriots etc Great defenses vs Great Offenses... The Great Defense will win out!!! That of course if all things being equal... Turnovers, field position, special teams play etc. I promise this is my last post unless you force me to reply but coming back with a great point lol

Offline dudeitsaid

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2016, 01:11:19 AM »

Name 1 "one dimensional" team that has ever won a Title in football!!! I'll wait!!! Who cares what Wofford almost did, who cares who you guys almost did against NDSU, who cares about Washington State or whoever else you mentioned. The Patriots vs The Giants (twice), Panthers vs Broncos, Cardinals vs Steelers, Rams vs Patriots etc Great defenses vs Great Offenses... The Great Defense will win out!!! That of course if all things being equal... Turnovers, field position, special teams play etc. I promise this is my last post unless you force me to reply but coming back with a great point lol

Sorry if you gotta wake up to respond to this...  :P 

GSU is arguably the most successful FCS team of all time (though I would actually put them behind NDSU), as they do have six championships.  I didn't see all of their games in the past, but they were typically known as a strong triple option team that would run it down your throat.  But, I think strong running teams tend to garner more respect. 

That being said, we run enough to keep defenses honest.  We are skewed to the pass, but I wouldn't call us one dimensional. And it'll be cold tomorrow, but I really don't see the weather negating our passing attack.  Wind won't be too strong, weather should be clear, and we are the only team in all of college football to have three 1000 yard receivers.  The problem with other "one dimensional" passing teams is, take out their star receiver, the passing game falls apart.  Take one of ours out, the other ones are more than capable of taking over a game.  Check out who was the leading receiver in each of our past games, it isn't always the same player Heck, some of the highest yardage totals in games haven't even been by those three receivers!  Our next three would be stars on most teams in the FCS! 

On to what I hope and believe will be an outstanding game, it's been fun visiting your board!

Offline talon38

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2016, 01:12:42 AM »
Going to be a great game on Saturday with 2 teams that deserve to be there in very cold temperatures.  Here's what I know about this years Easterns team.  They started out the year as the same old let's out score you type of offense and just play enough defense to win, but that was through the first 6 games.  We were scoring on average of 45+ points/ game and giving up like 40/ game.  Then the defense discovered their identity, and the last 7 games have been giving up 12 points/game and the offense is scoring a bit less at 38 points/game.  Been playing the run very well and very tough on the pass as also.  This will present a problem for YSU as they are very 1 dimensional in the run.  EWU MAY well stack the box, stop the run and force them to pass. Could be bad news for YSU IF trailing, EWU DEFENSE WILL FEAST ON THIS.  Just my observation, I'm not a coach, LOL!  Nothing yet has been really mentioned about our 3 WR Corps in KUPP/HILL and Bourne, not to mention WR  Splendorio.  KUPP is only the most prolific WR IN college football, but has all American Hill, and all conference Bourne to go with it.  If YSU DB's (safeties) are in question, look out.  Ewu has plenty of fire power on WR AND RB TO KEEP YSU defense off kilter, while else do you think they have 12 wins.  Yes, EWU can play the run defense game, done it through the last several games.  And yes, Cal Poly did gain 372 yards, but they average 450 and couldn't score from inside the red zone. 
With all that smack talk aside, I expect an EWU VICTORY by 7-11 points.  Good luck YSU in the frozen Inferno field of EWU.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:28:12 AM by talon38 »

Offline dudeitsaid

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2016, 03:03:46 AM »

Funny, after may last post, I was thinking...but yeah, has there every been a one dimensional team to win the NC, and I can't believe I didn't mention this before! 

The last team not named NDSU to win a national title was...EWU.  Though we had the best running back in the nation in 2010, he broke his foot early in the 2nd half of our game against NDSU (quite possibly one of the main reasons the game ended up being close), and we really struggled to run the ball after that.  In the championship game, we resorted a predominantly passing game, and threw for over 300 yards, but only rushed for 34.  We passed 75% of the time.  Guess it worked out.