Author Topic: Eastern Washington  (Read 69839 times)

Offline SE174

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Washington
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2016, 12:35:19 AM »
Can EWU launch an effective passing attack if the temperature is indeed around zero?  We don't know.  Even EWU does not know.  This will be an unprecedented experience at our level of competition.  Catching a hard-thrown football in that climate will be equivalent to trying to catch a large rock with pointed ends.

Can the YSU offensive line continue to be the stars of our playoff run?  Since the quarterback change, they have been scary good.  If they can continue to perform at this high level, the conditions clearly favor the better running offense.

Can anybody kick or punt a ball for distance in zero temperatures?  Can any scientist furnish us with this answer?  If not, special teams might be an adventure for both sides.

It was blizzarding in 2010 against NDSU, and we were able to pass the ball (at least near the end when we needed to tie it and then in OT), and in 2013 against SDSU it was 12 degrees at kickoff (had to go look it up), although the performance wasn't great, at least by EWU standards: 12/22 for 217 yards, 0 INTs, 5 TDs. We have great WRs, but yes, it will be extremely cold and will have an impact on both teams.

http://goeags.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=2434

Offline SE174

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2016, 12:53:26 AM »
If I didn't know any better I would think this is a EWU forum with all these "if we wanna have a shot" quotes!!! First off no team has stopped or even really slowed our ground game, not even NDSU or SDSU, that's was just at a time when our offense was putrid and we were turning the ball over at an alarming rate! Well those days are behind us and we are playing great ball in every phase of the game other than last week's kicking game mishaps because Kennedy was hurt. EWU run defense is terrible, their biggest weakest is our biggest strength. You can run the football in any weather but I'm not sure you can throw with the same effectiveness @ 0° so advantage Guins there also! Another thing guys are losing the minds over is how many times can we run the ball without Ruiz, well Webb carried it 37 times Saturday with 1 fumble, as a team I think we ran it 49 times and Ruiz carried it 1x so that's something we need not worry about! Webb just broke the school record for single game All-Purpose yards and has been on an 1st Team All-American type rare since his knee is back to 100% but we are worried about someone that is not gonna b playing? Doesn't make sense to me. Now I am worried about both of our Safties being out but Powell has played well all year so I think we will b ok. This isn't the same team from earlier in the year, they will b fine!!! No one dimensional team can beat this Guins team, period!!! See you guys in Frisco!

Thanks for the laughs. Ask Richmond and their 1.3 ypc how they felt about our run defense.

And EWU one dimensional? Please. Our short passing game is our run game, not to mention when GG takes it up the middle because your back 7 is all in coverage, afraid to give up any more deep balls. We put up 44 on NDSU, and only lost after missing at FG at the end of regulation.

Am I saying YSU doesn't stand a chance? Not at all. But to act like YSU is a lock to win... laughable.

Offline HTOTYoungstown

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2016, 06:46:28 AM »
I've never doubted that we had a shot. Although it was earlier in the year,  NDSU and UNI hung 50 and 30 respectively on EWU. I think we should be fine offensively. There is no denying the defense took a hit though. With that said I do believe they will step it up. Rivers and Moss are a tandem no team can handle. I think that's the key. Get to the QB. Put him on the cold, hard turf. By the 2nd quarter if not sooner, he will think twice about running.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »
Thanks for the laughs. Ask Richmond and their 1.3 ypc how they felt about our run defense.

While your making yourself feel better. Why don't you ask Wofford, the number 5 total defense how they handled our running game. Here's a hint. They didn't. EWU isn't even ranked in the top 50.
You can also call Jax State and ask how there QB did against our Defense

So yes you are one dimensional. We shut down the short stuff and pound the rock. Your in trouble.

Offline BOP

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2016, 07:42:36 AM »
Great article on Coach Pelini.  Knowing the time he played in the valley and seeing how he played in college, he is bringing pride back to Youngstown just like Coach Tressel did.   I think everyone's fear is that he will be gone in the blink of an eye.  If that happens, hopefully we still have Coach Tressel around to pick another great coach that has that Mahoning valley work ethic. I believe because of the attitude Pelini has instilled in his team, the adversity they are facing because of the selfishness of a few will be the ultimate motivator on Saturday.  I hope to see a bunch of TE's and Fullbacks playing some smash mouth offense on the frozen tundra in E. Washington.  YSU will win I believe, because of Pelini.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »
Can't imagine playing football in this weather in Youngstown. Hope team can get out today!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »

While your making yourself feel better. Why don't you ask Wofford, the number 5 total defense how they handled our running game. Here's a hint. They didn't. EWU isn't even ranked in the top 50.

So yes you are one dimensional. We shut down the short stuff and pound the rock. Your in trouble.

You keep spouting things that aren't true... By play count we run more than you pass. The penguins are definitely more one dimensional from a game planning perspective. And we still average more than 4y per carry doing it, not earth shattering but it moves the chains at one of the best rates in FCS. We CAN use the short passing game OR run the ball. By yards its been a smaller part of the offense but we do run the ball effectively. Richmond learned that pretty quickly after selling out on the pass.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2016, 09:14:46 AM »

You keep spouting things that aren't true... By play count we run more than you pass. The penguins are definitely more one dimensional from a game planning perspective. And we still average more than 4y per carry doing it, not earth shattering but it moves the chains at one of the best rates in FCS. We CAN use the short passing game OR run the ball. By yards its been a smaller part of the offense but we do run the ball effectively. Richmond learned that pretty quickly after selling out on the pass.

The chest pounding should be put to rest.  We are down a number of people aND there are only 4 teams.  EWTN has proven they can play with the best taking NDSU to OT.  I expect an excellent game.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2016, 09:17:35 AM »

We are ranked 7th in the FCS in rushing offense. Eastern Washington isn't ranked in the top 50. You haven't played a defense quite like ours yet. If the weather affects the passing game like it should I like our chances

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2016, 09:57:34 AM »
If the passing game is affected, it'll be by your defense. Which is a fair expectation for a good playoff team.

These guys play in cold weather every year, including for the last few weeks. The cold isn't going to magically appear on game day. We'll have to find you thawing out of the ice in spring if you sit around at Roos field waiting for the eagles to be surprised by the weather they've been practicing in for weeks.

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2016, 10:10:58 AM »
And perhaps it's worth pointing out that we beat a rushing offense better than yours quite handle earlier this year. Cal Poly knows how to run the ball better than most and as teams find out against eastern they got their yards but couldn't find the end zone nearly enough. This would be a good time to go compare redzone statistics I suppose.

Man I've been waiting all week for good football banter. It's always best in the playoffs when everybody has a good legitimate high ground to come from.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »
If the passing game is affected, it'll be by your defense. Which is a fair expectation for a good playoff team.

These guys play in cold weather every year, including for the last few weeks. The cold isn't going to magically appear on game day. We'll have to find you thawing out of the ice in spring if you sit around at Roos field waiting for the eagles to be surprised by the weather they've been practicing in for weeks.

Take a breath bud you haven't been practicing in zero for weeks.

You should win. You are seeded, we are not. That's why they play the game.

If you don't think your boys will be affected by negative temperatures, I'm afraid I've got some bad news.

Offline clawman

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »

If you don't think your boys will be affected by negative temperatures, I'm afraid I've got some bad news.
You are correct Happy, weather does have an affect. If nothing else it screws with your head. Watch during the game on Saturday. There will be a lot of guys huddled around the heaters focusing on how to stay warm when they should be focusing on the game. Human nature.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2016, 10:25:14 AM »
And perhaps it's worth pointing out that we beat a rushing offense better than yours quite handle earlier this year. Cal Poly knows how to run the ball better than most and as teams find out against eastern they got their yards but couldn't find the end zone nearly enough. This would be a good time to go compare redzone statistics I suppose.

Man I've been waiting all week for good football banter. It's always best in the playoffs when everybody has a good legitimate high ground to come from.

You gave up 342 yards rushing to Cal Poly. You give up that many on Saturday you lose

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2016, 10:29:06 AM »

You are correct Happy, weather does have an affect. If nothing else it screws with your head. Watch during the game on Saturday. There will be a lot of guys huddled around the heaters focusing on how to stay warm when they should be focusing on the game. Human nature.

Speaking of, somehow Samford fans smuggled in propane bottles with radiant heaters on top of them. No idea how that happened we don't even let a can of coke or an umbrella in.

:o :o :o :o :o

Anyone that acts like all is well being outside for 3+ hours in a football uniform in sub zero temps is a bit off.

The weather will play a factor no doubt. In a sissy dome like NDSU not so much, except tailgating. What a great home field advantage they waste.I'd give them an extra 3 points on the spread based on psychological factor alone.

Just kidding, I know NDSU fans read here a lot. Or am I?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 10:30:22 AM by HappyPenguin »