Author Topic: Eastern Washington  (Read 69836 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Washington
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2016, 10:16:29 PM »
I can't imagine throwing or catching a ball in 0 degrees. Worse yet is hitting the ground!  Need to get the chicken soup out on the sidelines like Coastal did against Montana a few years back.  Anything to stay warm.  0 does sound dangerous...but it is cold for both teams.  This is going to be a battle of mental toughness. 

http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/coastal-carolina-preparing-for-frigid-football-game-at-montana/article_3e719ced-746c-5171-b3b2-57b11d17a347.html

http://m.ravallirepublic.com/sports/college/montana/football/article_a44607d3-7502-579f-938f-240d09805f9d.html

http://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/shatel-that-s-no-ordinary-joe-hanging-with-the-chanticleers/article_6cf98fbd-a673-5b94-95e5-b37923ce3e8c.html

GO GUINS!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »
We have enough backs. I think we see Alessi. I also think we may see Webb returning punts, which may mean more McCaster and Alessi is needed. I'm not sure on a number of runs, but we need to control the clock. I think we should utilize quick passes to our backs and wrs as well, to bolster the running attack.

Bailey will probably return punts.  Secondary may be an issue against a prolific passing attack.  Guins are going to need Powell and Warfield to have good games.  I wonder if Hegedus may also be an option.  He was starting to get more playing time when he was injured in the UNI game.  Don't know how serious his injury was.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2016, 10:52:26 PM »
We have enough backs. I think we see Alessi. I also think we may see Webb returning punts, which may mean more McCaster and Alessi is needed. I'm not sure on a number of runs, but we need to control the clock. I think we should utilize quick passes to our backs and wrs as well, to bolster the running attack.

Bailey will probably return punts.  Secondary may be an issue against a prolific passing attack.  Guins are going to need Powell and Warfield to have good games.  I wonder if Hegedus may also be an option.  He was starting to get more playing time when he was injured in the UNI game.  Don't know how serious his injury was.

Hegedus tore his knee up. Done for awhile.

Offline HTOTYoungstown

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2016, 12:54:08 AM »
Powell has been playing well, granted pass defense may not be his main strength but I feel he can step it up when called upon.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2016, 05:46:51 AM »
Does anybody know if EWU is allowed to keep the balls warm with a heater on the side line? They could switch out to a warm ball every offense play to give them an advantage. Catching a warmer ball wearing good gloves might not be an issue for their passing game. Does NCAA have any rules on that? Could they not switch the warm balls for us when we are on offense?
I played soccer. It was very tough to kick the ball in 20 degrees weather. I cannot imagine kicking and punting the ball for distance in 0 degree.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2016, 08:28:42 AM »
This is EW's press conference.  This is a trip.  He makes the reporters meet him outside in the cold.  Love this.

https://twitter.com/EWUFootball/status/808799277996613632?s=09
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:53:29 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2016, 08:53:18 AM »
https://www.periscope.tv/EWUFootball/1lPKqRaQqjnGb?t=3

This should give y'all the other pressers as well with Gage and JJ Njoku. You should find more here sometime this week. Coach has them step out of practice for a minute or two and knock these out rather than having big involved pressers. Tend to do this 2-3 times a week later in the season. Less often towards the beginning.

AD does podcasts once a week, which are mostly focused on football at the moment, so thats here if you want it:
https://soundcloud.com/ewuathletics-1

Offline BishopsFather2310

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2016, 06:18:07 PM »
If I didn't know any better I would think this is a EWU forum with all these "if we wanna have a shot" quotes!!! First off no team has stopped or even really slowed our ground game, not even NDSU or SDSU, that's was just at a time when our offense was putrid and we were turning the ball over at an alarming rate! Well those days are behind us and we are playing great ball in every phase of the game other than last week's kicking game mishaps because Kennedy was hurt. EWU run defense is terrible, their biggest weakest is our biggest strength. You can run the football in any weather but I'm not sure you can throw with the same effectiveness @ 0° so advantage Guins there also! Another thing guys are losing the minds over is how many times can we run the ball without Ruiz, well Webb carried it 37 times Saturday with 1 fumble, as a team I think we ran it 49 times and Ruiz carried it 1x so that's something we need not worry about! Webb just broke the school record for single game All-Purpose yards and has been on an 1st Team All-American type rare since his knee is back to 100% but we are worried about someone that is not gonna b playing? Doesn't make sense to me. Now I am worried about both of our Safties being out but Powell has played well all year so I think we will b ok. This isn't the same team from earlier in the year, they will b fine!!! No one dimensional team can beat this Guins team, period!!! See you guys in Frisco!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2016, 07:00:50 PM »
If I didn't know any better I would think this is a EWU forum with all these "if we wanna have a shot" quotes!!! First off no team has stopped or even really slowed our ground game, not even NDSU or SDSU, that's was just at a time when our offense was putrid and we were turning the ball over at an alarming rate! Well those days are behind us and we are playing great ball in every phase of the game other than last week's kicking game mishaps because Kennedy was hurt. EWU run defense is terrible, their biggest weakest is our biggest strength. You can run the football in any weather but I'm not sure you can throw with the same effectiveness @ 0° so advantage Guins there also! Another thing guys are losing the minds over is how many times can we run the ball without Ruiz, well Webb carried it 37 times Saturday with 1 fumble, as a team I think we ran it 49 times and Ruiz carried it 1x so that's something we need not worry about! Webb just broke the school record for single game All-Purpose yards and has been on an 1st Team All-American type rare since his knee is back to 100% but we are worried about someone that is not gonna b playing? Doesn't make sense to me. Now I am worried about both of our Safties being out but Powell has played well all year so I think we will b ok. This isn't the same team from earlier in the year, they will b fine!!! No one dimensional team can beat this Guins team, period!!! See you guys in Frisco!

Great post

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 07:19:01 PM »

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 08:57:55 PM »

YES

GO GUINS!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »
Love it !

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2016, 09:47:28 PM »
Powell has been playing well, granted pass defense may not be his main strength but I feel he can step it up when called upon.

In the EWU - Richmond game I saw the ball boy rubbing the balls with those hand warmers on the seams. Not sure if that made a difference but I saw it.

GO GUINS!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline SE174

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2016, 12:26:00 AM »
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USWA0073:1:US

Hopefully I linked this right, but I blame you Penguins ;)

We are showing a high of 0 on game day, this would easily be the coldest game in Eastern history. Last weekend is currently second on our list at 20 degrees. What a difference a week can make.

The SDSU game a few years back was pretty close, IIRC. That was a COLD game.