Author Topic: Playoff Bound!!! Penguins Back in Postseason (Contains Official Bracket)  (Read 7254 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
The Youngstown State football team was one of 24 teams to be selected for the 2016 FCS Playoffs which start next Saturday. The Penguins have been selected to play host to a first round game and will take on Samford at Stambaugh Stadium. Kickoff is set for 5 p.m.

YSU, which has won four FCS National Championships, last appeared in the postseason in 2006 when it advanced to the semifinals before losing to eventual National Champion Appalachian State. This marks the 12th time in school history the Guins have been part of the FCS postseason.

The Penguins (8-3) were one of three Missouri Valley Football Conference teams selected. South Dakota State was the league's automatic qualifier while North Dakota State was the top-seeded team as an at-large selection.

YSU has had tremendous success at home winning 14 straight postseason games since losing its first contest to UCF in 1990. YSU's last postseason home game was Dec. 2, 2006, against Illinois State.

The Penguins have an all-time FCS/Division I-AA Playoff record of 25-7 having won national titles in 1991, 1993, 1994 and 1997. The Guins played in the championship game in 1992 and 1999.

For ticket information follow @YSUsports on all social media platforms and visit www.YSUsports.com.

View in Full Screen

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:17:08 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Playoff Bound!!! Penguins Back in Postseason (Contains Official Bracket)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:21:36 PM »
There four teams form the MVFC

YSU
NDSU
SDSU
ISUr

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 12:47:06 PM »
I am shocked, in the most pleasant way, with how we made out in this bracket.  After the first round, we are on a path to face teams from the OVC, the Southern, and then the Big Sky.  No road game is ever easy in the playoffs, but none of these potential matchups present anything like the challenge of winning in Fargo or Brookings. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:49:11 PM »
How about we worry about Samford and nothing else.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »

They like too throw the ball ALOT!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 09:36:52 AM »
DITTO!!!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:58:01 AM »
So I call to buy tickets this morning, called at 9:30 am, and I get an automated "Ticket Office is closed" message.  Yes, I know I can buy online, but I wanted to get an aisle seat, and online they don't really let you choose your seat.  More like luck of the draw.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »
So I call to buy tickets this morning, called at 9:30 am, and I get an automated "Ticket Office is closed" message.  Yes, I know I can buy online, but I wanted to get an aisle seat, and online they don't really let you choose your seat.  More like luck of the draw.
If you had season tickets, you get "your" seat.  Just saying.......
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »

I'm going to guarantee you an aisle seat "IF" you buy a ticket,,, just saying  ;)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
I was there in person this morning around 10: 30 am. There were two girls working the ticket desk. I got my tickets in about 5 minutes without any waiting. There were only one other customer there.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 11:31:19 AM »
Dang. Was hoping to have alot of interest for tickets. I know I had friends call me up saying they wanted tickets and were going to go to the game... Was hoping from my incredibly small sample size that tickets would sell fast.  :(

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
I had a tough time getting through by phone yesterday. The other members of my group did as well; so they drove down ...they said about 25-minutes total wait & parked next to McDonalds. They went back with another family around 5pm and were able to park in the lot adjacent to the ticket office with only about 4 or 5 ahead of them.

They were making certain that everyone was season-ticket, loge, or Penguin Club.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 01:49:22 PM »
Thanks for the update IAA. Thats great news  :). Hoping there is a large crowd for Saturday. Sell out crowd would be nice, but close too will do. I still wish I could go  :'(