Author Topic: Favorite Penguin Football Games  (Read 6088 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Favorite Penguin Football Games
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:57:50 AM »
BTW Go Guins. You should start a topic about favorite YSU games, as that 2011 win in Fargo would not break my top-20 (well maybe). That is usually the kind of topic we do off-season, but hey ...it is a bye week.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:59:15 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Penguin Football Games
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
One of my favorites was my first.  YSU vs. Pensacola Naval Base, with a QB named Staubach vs. Denny Klembara.  You know what they say, “you never forget your first!”  Even if we lost 58-38 and Rayen High School! (what a dump)
I remember the Scott Brunner (later of the NY Giants) lead Delaware Blue Hens comeback at Fitch High School.

The goal line stand in the last minute on the 1 vs Western Ill. Leathernecks in the mid-Tressel years.  Don’t know the year, but a hell of a game.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 12:46:03 PM »
That WIU game was the one in 1999. We were down 21-0 at the half and came back. We fouled them and the Leathernecks got 4-tries from the 4-yard line (or closer). We stopped them cold. I think that was the one where took the snap and ran out of the back of the end-zone taking the safety to avoid a possible game-losing fumble. Awesome game. Hecock lined the team up in a formation that looked like they were going to blitz & WIU pulled the guard and I think it was either Hightower, Vecchione or Mechling dragged the FB down.

My first YSU game was that huge comeback game against Central Michigan, back in 1972 or 73. I went with my dad, as he was interviewing for a job with the university and they let us sit in the president's box. Jaws was the QB and the big hero was Willie Packman. Everyone was covering Ferranti, as he had just caught a beautiful 60+ yarder for a score. So then Jaws fired anther 60+ yard pass to Packman. Great game. We stopped them late to preserve a tie. My first airline ride as well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:57:39 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »
One of my favorites was my first.  YSU vs. Pensacola Naval Base, with a QB named Staubach vs. Denny Klembara.  You know what they say, “you never forget your first!”  Even if we lost 58-38 and Rayen High School! (what a dump)
I remember the Scott Brunner (later of the NY Giants) lead Delaware Blue Hens comeback at Fitch High School.

The goal line stand in the last minute on the 1 vs Western Ill. Leathernecks in the mid-Tressel years.  Don’t know the year, but a hell of a game.

I was at the Pensacola Navy game as a student in my Freshman year. I never forget the team (200+) of Navy people (in full uniform) marched in and sat down as a group. Klembara did really well but the following year he was put into backup role with Ron Jaworski as starter.

The Delaware game was ridiculous. We had a big lead and they keep scoring in the 2nd half and we could not stop them. I remember that one well also.

The most depressing game for me was the game against Cincinnati at home. We were ahead in the last few seconds and they needed a TD to win. We stopped them on the third down at the goal line with time running out. The ref stopped the clock because, according to him, one of our players (I believer it was Pat Narduzzi) did not get off their players fast enough. Cinncy was able to get off one more play to score the TD and won the game.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 01:59:18 PM »
That WIU game was the one in 1999. We were down 21-0 at the half and came back. We fouled them and the Leathernecks got 4-tries from the 4-yard line (or closer). We stopped them cold. I think that was the one where took the snap and ran out of the back of the end-zone taking the safety to avoid a possible game-losing fumble. Awesome game. Hecock lined the team up in a formation that looked like they were going to blitz & WIU pulled the guard and I think it was either Hightower, Vecchione or Mechling dragged the FB down.

My first YSU game was that huge comeback game against Central Michigan, back in 1972 or 73. I went with my dad, as he was interviewing for a job with the university and they let us sit in the president's box. Jaws was the QB and the big hero was Willie Packman. Everyone was covering Ferranti, as he had just caught a beautiful 60+ yarder for a score. So then Jaws fired anther 60+ yard pass to Packman. Great game. We stopped them late to preserve a tie. My first airline ride as well.

You have identified the WIU game exactly correct.   Thanks.  I couldn't remember the year and didn't have time right now to look.  By the 4th down it was about a foot.  For some reason we (my brother and I, also an alum, and also still a season ticket holder) were sitting on the East side so it was a pain to see the goal lines and the place was going nuts! 
Great times at Rayen, Struthers, Austintown Fitch and finally Stambaugh.  I spent the majority of my working life at Stambaugh's.
That first game with Staubach was still Dike Beede coached.   Dom Rosselli MBB and Beede FB.  I have a basketball hoop set at about 6' for grandkids, and neither Dike on Dom could dunk on it, even in their prime!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 02:51:17 PM »
In my list of favorite YSU games:
The last game we played against UNI,
The 2011 win in Fargo
The 2012 win over Pitt

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 08:40:20 PM »
1999 win over Florida A&M.

1997 win over Montana with a FG. I think it was 1997.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 09:53:50 PM »
First game was Nov 1973 beat Indiana of PA and I believe the game was at Campbell HS.

Every time we beat Akron was sweet but the playoff win at home against Nova was awesome, the great catch by Williams the winning kick by JW, still makes me smile.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne