Author Topic: Trib Today YSU Coverage  (Read 15544 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Trib Today YSU Coverage
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 01:30:40 PM »
Ricky did hurt his ribs on a shot early in the game.
That must have been the one play where he tried to leap the one defender near the goal line and got hit by another defender. I watch a highlight of that it was a really hard shot. Ribs do have tendency to tighten up after the initial blow and become more painful. It can really affect your throwing motion

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »
I watched the game on Root TV. I did not have problems when Davis ran with the ball if the receivers were covered and the play was breaking down that he had to scramble. My problem was with too many designed QB running play which would get the QB injured easily.

After the half time, Davis could not move the ball. It was probably due to their half time adjustments (or our failure to do so). Hosick did a pretty good job against their backups. But, we were playing with some of our backups also.

We just did not have the CB fast enough to cover their deep routes. It did not help when most of the time our CBs did not turn around to locate the ball.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
I agree Double ET too many designed Qb runs. I gurantee you that will not work against Illinois St. or Northern Iowa because their defenses are just to good and they will have us figured out to a T by then. Ricky or Trent will have to throw from the pocket..Not having a bigger back really hurts this offense

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 03:44:30 PM »
I am not certain I completely agree Fever and ET. We just stuffed ILS last year with their drop-back passer (and he even had some designed runs), but the 3rd-series I watched a mobile QB rip us apart and a designed QB run option was in every play. You have got to draw the defenses in or out. Running the ball is a very good option. We did not have 3 of our backs, two out and one with what looks like career long injuries. Martin is hurt and as much as I love Jody, he does nothing without Ruiz making defenses set. Without that Webb is not going to see any open-space.

As to our halftime adjustments, the mere fact that Hosic came in and had success shows it was part of our game plan and we were more than solid on O. When you have 3 injured backs, there is not much you can do to take the pressure off of the QB ...just let him run.

Did either of you hear the WVU HC after the game? The flaming hot D-coordinator?

HC: "We did not do a very good job getting off the field in the second half, especially the 4th quarter".

DC:  You decide if Montgomery did not give him fits.

The Montgomery haters on this board think that you come out in the second half and rewrite your playbook, which is far from the truth. These are college kids, not NFL vets. Yet this game saw so much change at halftime and it sounds like no one on this board saw any of it. What about all of the during game changes. Even Ricky said he had to look to the side before every snap. Do you think that Hosick was going to stand on the sidelines the whole game? I thought we left Ricky in one too many series, but that was about it. You go into the lock-room tied with WVU; just how much do you want to change? Same thing with the xDSU's and ILS.

You watch Carl and BO completely sellout to the run but "Monty sucks". Say there were 4 passes in excess of 50 yards against us ...3 went into the end-zone and other down to the 1.5 yard line, so wvu needed and extra play to get it in there. Say take off those 28-points and what is your score?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 04:39:33 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 04:43:05 PM »
I am not certain I completely agree Fever and ET. We just stuffed ILS last year with their drop-back passer (and he even had some designed runs), but the 3rd-series I watched a mobile QB rip us apart and a designed QB run option was in every play. You have got to draw the defenses in or out. Running the ball is a very good option. We did not have 3 of our backs, two out and one with what looks like career long injuries. Martin is hurt and as much as I love Jody, he does nothing without Ruiz making defenses set. Without that Webb is not going to see any open-space.

As to our halftime adjustments, the mere fact that Hosic came in and had success shows it was part of our game plan and we were more than solid on O. When you have 3 injured backs, there is not much you can do to take the pressure off of the QB ...just let him run.

Did either of you hear the WVU HC after the game? The flaming hot D-coordinator?

HC: "We did not do a very good job getting off the field in the second half, especially the 4th quarter".

DC:  You decide if Montgomery did not give him fits.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PzIeNtEsFbE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Montgomery haters on this board think that you come out in the second half and rewrite your playbook, which is far from the truth. These are college kids, not NFL vets. Yet this game saw so much change at halftime and it sounds like no one on this board saw any of it. What about all of the during game changes. Even Ricky said he had to look to the side before every snap. Do you think that Hosick was going to stand on the sidelines the whole game? I thought we left Ricky in one too many series, but that was about it. You go into the lock-room tied with WVU; just how much do you want to change? Same thing with the xDSU's and ILS.

You watch Carl and BO completely sellout to the run but "Monty sucks". Say there were 4 passes in excess of 50 yards against us ...3 went into the end-zone and other down to the 1.5 yard line, so wvu needed and extra play to get it in there. Say take off those 28-points and what is your score?

Keep smoking your crack pipe.  The QB is injured because we ran him (and he wasn't touched in the backfield) and we made no changes to receiver routes or running plays when they went from a cover 0 to cover 3.  No adjustments can be done?  Even Pelini was said they had to do a better job coaching.  It was pretty obvious to me.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 04:45:25 PM »
Bull crap, we got a TD pass and a long drive off a drop because the stayed in cover zero. Who called those BO? They never went cover 3 the first 2 series against us. As for the QB getting hurt with the run ...I could not agree more.  BTW when did I say "no" changes could be made and we could not improve? Monty does not "walk on water" but he is a damn fine OC. I have not seen one better at Stambaugh Stadium.

His game plan Saturday was to hold on to the ball as long as possible and try to execute. It worked very well and you have to be impressed with both Davis and Hosick for showing the poise in command.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 05:42:17 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
I also might remind you of the nice slant pass calls off the right side to compensate for the WVU defenses; which really led to that nice wheel route for a TD. Again Baily ...you are going to see a flag come League play so let's cut out the gestures.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 08:02:16 PM »
I recall the tv guys commenting at halftime that Shane was calling a good game, seems someone noticed.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 08:46:37 PM »
After watching the game a second time, I don't think our receivers ran very sharp routes with the exception of the TE's.  Not sure any of the QB's could overcome that.  Ricky had time to throw, but they kept a spy on him to cover the run.
Any word on Hunter's shoulder or Brock's foot?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »
Brock wont be back until after the bye week.