Author Topic: YSU/MVFC Preseason Rankings  (Read 22472 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU/MVFC Preseason Rankings
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »
Agreed with the NEVER should play at Dayton sentiment here. Unless we go the way of Western Illinois and squeak into the playoffs and have to play them at Dayton, only way I could accept that under fathomable current / relative future conditions.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »
Just a few things:

1. Again with the MAC ...that conference is dead to us. No return ...no home.
2. Chief ...we have no choice. As these partial-scholarship teams get more players, there will be no more home-only teams for us. Dayton, Duquesne and RMU will ALL expect returns.
3. Go, it is more than just a few people, it s recruiting. We recruit quite a bit from SEOH. We even have a summer camp there. This is what we need.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 10:39:02 PM »
Who cares about a home and home. Go to their place and whoop their butts. What happened to playing the Montana's and McNeese St's and heck I think we even played Cal Poly, Hofstra and all them one year. Get back to those schools. Playing the Dayton and Duquesne's of the world do not get you prepared for MVFC football. Just another W on the schedule, which in turn actually hurts our playoff chances.

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 11:13:29 PM »
Not sure that I agree with the Duquesnes and Daytons dragging us down. In fact, in some cases I think they might (unfairly as it is) drag us up (the perception that Dayton is a playoff team but is, in actuality, equivalent to a lower level MVFC team). The reason people have talked about, say, Ohio State's OOC schedule in the past, is because their conference didn't offer them a lot of ranked games... the idea being that they played weak OOC AND weak conference opponents. OOC has little to do with YSU's specific playoff situation... it is entirely based on our conference. We are guaranteed 4 or 5 ranked games a year in conference games alone. Why play 1 or 2 more when they can only hurt us?

You're pretty much guaranteed to go 2-1 against an FBS and 2 medium/low teams and you will have to go at least 5-3 in conference to have a chance at playoffs. On a good year, you MAY go 2-1 OOC games against an FBS and 2 ranked teams and you STILL have to go 5-3 in conference to have a chance at playoffs. And as far as preparation for MVFC football, there are pros and cons to playing both Dayton/Duquesne and Montana/McNeese St.

The problem isn't the OOC. We have to perform better in-conference... plain and simple.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 11:55:51 PM »
IAA Fan, you do understand that Dayton, Duquesne, and RMU have very few fans.  With ideal weather conditions, they draw at most several thousand, and many of those are students who probably don't pay.  They will never be in any position to demand a return game from a full scholarship FCS program.  That guarantee would bankrupt them.  I would be willing to wager that the guarantee that YSU gives to those schools is more than the total of their gate receipts for their home games for the entire year.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 09:52:28 AM »
Can't, for example, pays FCS schools >$300k.  If I am correct, we pay ~$30k for OOC visitors.  What would a 1AAA team like the Flyers pay us?  Either game should result in a W, and costs of travel would be less with Can't.

No return game? We don't expect that from other FBS schools.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
We are playing the little sisters of the poor, meanwhile teams in our league are playing  meaningful games against great opponents with national attention.  It is  happening all around us.  Our scheduling sucks.  I am not interested in these games and I don't think I will watch them anymore.  That is the only way to send the message.  Don't buy tickets to the garbage games where we will curb stomp the competition.  I am sick of the mediocrity approach.  I wouldn't let us into the play-offs with our garbage schedule either.  If you want to be the best you have to beat the best.  In businesses 10's hire 10's and 7's hire 5's.  5's suck, but you know what they are.......7's are the worst hires you can make.  10's are not afraid to be shown up, they don't hide behind their weaknesses, they want to be tested and improve from it.   7s'surround themselves with 5's so they will always look better than a 5 but he is still only a 7.  We act like 7's and pad our wins against weak competition , meanwhile UNI is scheduling like a 10 and playing Montana.  Sick of it.  It is driving me away.  Time to man the F up.  Times have changed.  We are now reaching decades of mediocrity with our throwback schedule vs other teams at our level.  Pisses me off
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:02:00 AM by penguinpower »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 10:56:44 AM »
Just a few things:

2. Chief ...we have no choice. As these partial-scholarship teams get more players, there will be no more home-only teams for us. Dayton, Duquesne and RMU will ALL expect returns.
3. Go, it is more than just a few people, it s recruiting. We recruit quite a bit from SEOH. We even have a summer camp there. This is what we need.
I respectfully disagree.  The MAC wants to pay us to play, I'm in. 
For somebody who doesn't offer home and home with the PFL, how do we say "NO MAC"?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »
We are playing the little sisters of the poor, meanwhile teams in our league are playing  meaningful games against great opponents with national attention.

I read this and see NDSU playing Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington and wonder what exactly you are talking about?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 11:03:58 AM »
We are playing the little sisters of the poor, meanwhile teams in our league are playing  meaningful games against great opponents with national attention.

I read this and see NDSU playing Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington and wonder what exactly you are talking about?

Eastern Washington is a power 5 FCS team in the big sky.  What are you talking about?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 11:51:01 AM »

Eastern Washington is a power 5 FCS team in the big sky.  What are you talking about?
[/quote]

WTF is a "power 5 FCS team" mean and do you really thing Eastern Washington qualifies as:
"meaningful games against great opponents with national attention"?  Who watched that game on TV?
I think they were 6-5 last year, hardly GREAT OPPONENTS WITH NATIONAL ATTENTION to me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:27:35 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 11:53:50 AM »
I'm not asking to load up the schedule at this point, but playing Duquesne and Robert Morris types every year is getting real annoying. Strollo needs to put his ego aside and man up and play better competition. He's always worried about losing home game money... How about actually worrying about making the playoffs??? A home playoff game will generate plenty of money.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 01:15:48 PM »

[/quote]

WTF is a "power 5 FCS team" mean and do you really thing Eastern Washington qualifies as:
"meaningful games against great opponents with national attention"?  Who watched that game on TV?
I think they were 6-5 last year, hardly GREAT OPPONENTS WITH NATIONAL ATTENTION to me.
[/quote]

Meaning that the conference they play in gets an Autobid with secondary teams.  Bobby Morris can get an auto bid for conference champ but no one else would get in.  Eastern Washington was in the semifinals a few years ago they are a team to be reckoned with unlike the garbage team that is booby Morris , Duquesne, and saint Francis.  Study up

http://www.khq.com/story/32430420/ewu-football-ranks-in-top-10-for-sporting-news-and-lindys-polls
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:38:55 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 04:37:13 PM »
First of all, EWU & Iowa are on the schedule in the same year because NDSU thought the Iowa game was cancelled. Then Iowa could not come up with the cash for a buyout after YSU was given a massive buyout from OSU.

EWU just won the national championship 4 years ago and were just in it last year & 2-year prior. It is just like Marshall and YSU YSU dominated the post-season in the early 90's and team like Mashall, GSU and Montana were almost ignored, but great teams all of them. NDSU steals the little bit of limelight that is I-AA/FCS, but EWU is behaps the second-most dominating team in the last 10-years.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »
Just a few things:

I respectfully disagree.  The MAC wants to pay us to play, I'm in. 
For somebody who doesn't offer home and home with the PFL, how do we say "NO MAC"?

Easy, it's a matter of pride, I have a long memory.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne