Author Topic: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!  (Read 186743 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »
I would agree that the starter for Dusquene needs to be the presumed starter for the season.  There is no need for a two QB system if the starting QB has a complete skill set.  No way I'd have WVU be the first start for the new QB.    Davis should've started the Missouri State game last year, but that opportunity was lost. From everything I'm reading, and saw last season, I'd start Davis with Hosick as the backup.  In garbage time I'd put Hosick in for a few wildcats.  Mays #3.  Wells would be the nuclear option.
Interesting opinion since I think Wells will be the starter.  All this camp stuff with Mays and Davis is just smoke to keep them with the program

If Wells is the starter, we are going to be in trouble.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2016, 10:50:29 AM »
I would agree that the starter for Dusquene needs to be the presumed starter for the season.  There is no need for a two QB system if the starting QB has a complete skill set.  No way I'd have WVU be the first start for the new QB.    Davis should've started the Missouri State game last year, but that opportunity was lost. From everything I'm reading, and saw last season, I'd start Davis with Hosick as the backup.  In garbage time I'd put Hosick in for a few wildcats.  Mays #3.  Wells would be the nuclear option.
Interesting opinion since I think Wells will be the starter.  All this camp stuff with Mays and Davis is just smoke to keep them with the program

If Wells is the starter, we are going to be in trouble.

Go, I'm really trying to be gentle in my comments. I don't want to flame a college kid playing a game.  I actually fault the OC, and even BP more than any player.  But geez, keeping a pro-style QB who is mobility impaired as the starter when your O line is depleted due to injuries and your receivers have hands of stone is outlandish.  He had minus 44 yards rushing for the season while #12 was the third leading rusher with very limited playing time.  Unreal.  And not letting #12 pass??  I think #6 would do well at a program where his immobility is masked by a strong o-line and strong receivers.  There, he can prolly also even get away with his lack of progressions.  The YSU program really isn't a good fit for him IMO. Nania left and was a more well rounded player.  Davis also finished the year with a higher passing efficiency (yes, with the same o line and same recievers...so thats no excuse).  I'd consider moving #6 to another position, but they all require a special skill or mobility.  For #6 to start this year would be FUBAR.  The fact that we deep in talent at that position with players with complete skill sets makes the idea even more preposterous.  The staff developed a two QB system to compensate for the shortcomings, but was horribly executed.  Honestly we had better coaching playing street ball as kids on the  West side.  I'm willing to accept Hosick as the starter, or even Mays, as I haven't seen much of their work yet.  But based on reports from camp, the Spring game, last season, how could #12 not be the starter?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »
 I'm sure Wells evaluated the situation when Trent was brought in and conferred with his coaches. He would've jumped ship if he didn't think he had any chance of remaining the starter. I think we need to look back at his freshman year and understand why it was such a good year for him and go from there. Coach Montgomery was retained by Pellini for a reason when many of us thought he would be let go..I'm just curious how much of a role Bo will play with the offense this year

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »
Who had most of the reps at 1st team center?  Any serious injuries so far in camp?

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
Was at the scrimmage on Saturday and saw all the games the last many years. My vote is Davis for his mobility and arm strength and throwing ability overall.  Wells seems to have great ability when allowed to stand in the pocket and throw, probably the best of all our QB's, but that doesn't seem like much of an option with our O-Line etc.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2016, 01:36:29 PM »
Who had most of the reps at 1st team center?  Any serious injuries so far in camp?

Vitas Hrynkiewicz.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2016, 01:44:18 PM »
I really hope they let the best performing QB start, and not worry about proving they picked the right guy last year due to their own ego.

As professional coaches I don't really think this is a valid concern. Makes good chat room material though.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2016, 02:14:38 PM »
I was just wondering if Harvin played in the scrimmage.. haven't heard his name lately

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2016, 10:03:06 AM »
 You guys are all sports fans, so I assume you have all heard the Allan Iverson triad against "practice, you're talking about practice?"  Yes, players make improvements year to year, and I don’t doubt Ricky Davis has improved, but he was a strong armed guy with terrible accuracy last year, and leopards don’t usually change their spots.  He may be better, and I hope he is the next great thing at YSU, but it’s still just “practice.”   Every report says Wells is much stronger and looking better this year too. 
Question is, who is getting the most reps with the #1s? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2016, 11:05:07 AM »
Wells is not looking better from what I hear... Looks about the same. Davis has improved, Hosick a dark horse if he can pick up the offense well enough and make some throws. Mays also looking good. Young, but talented.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2016, 12:07:45 PM »

Vitas Hrynkiewicz.

Thanks for the update.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2016, 12:26:20 PM »
Look, Between Harvin, Townsend, Scott, Bailey, Patterson and Derrick we need 3 to 4 of these guys to step up and be our receivers. I have never seen so many receivers on a sub division roster like ours surely we can find our group. Run the proper route, get open and catch the ball it's that simple. I wasn't at the scrimmage, but the Vindy was reporting our quarterbacks were in plenty of 3rd and long situations and holding onto the ball to long and forced to take coverage sacks because of the coverage down field. The issue here is not necessarily the quarterbacks as much as it is the wide receivers. The protection for the most part sounded good
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:00:57 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »
I don’t doubt Ricky Davis has improved, but he was a strong armed guy with terrible accuracy last year

Time to say goodnight to that myth.  :)

Behold the 2015 MVFC passing efficiency ratings:

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ind-all.pdf

PASS EFFICIENCY Cl G Comp-Att-Int Yds TD Eff.

6. Davis, Ricky-YSU So 9 8-18-0 142 1 129.0

8. Wells, Hunter-YSU So 11 159-291-7 1975 13 121.6

Passing efficiency does not subdivide INTs into pick 6's and non-pick 6s.  If it did, Well's passing efficiency would be much worse.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
I don’t doubt Ricky Davis has improved, but he was a strong armed guy with terrible accuracy last year

Passing efficiency does not subdivide INTs into pick 6's and non-pick 6s.  If it did, Well's passing efficiency would be much worse.
So I said Davis has a strong arm but terrible accuracy, and you quote last season's stat:
Davis 44% completion rate
Wells 54% completion rate
Now don't get me wrong, 54% is not good enough for Wells, but 44% is a joke.  This is compounded by Ricky's own words, when he was in the game, it was going to be a run.  Should have been easy to complete at least a few passes.  You guys should fork over the money, buy tickets and go watch some of these games.  I also point out the fact that Davis was a better runner than Wells, (maybe I am too!) but he is NOT a dramatic playmaker with his legs either.  He is at best 3 string, maybe 4th.  Everybody likes the backup.  By mid season, we won't hear Davis at all, you will all be saying "if only they would play Hosick."   I do expect Hunter to lead us to the playoffs this season.  We'll see, but your "all in with Ricky" has no factual basis for support
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »

So I said Davis has a strong arm but terrible accuracy, and you quote last season's stat:
Davis 44% completion rate
Wells 54% completion rate
Now don't get me wrong, 54% is not good enough for Wells, but 44% is a joke.  This is compounded by Ricky's own words, when he was in the game, it was going to be a run.  Should have been easy to complete at least a few passes.  You guys should fork over the money, buy tickets and go watch some of these games.  I also point out the fact that Davis was a better runner than Wells, (maybe I am too!) but he is NOT a dramatic playmaker with his legs either.  He is at best 3 string, maybe 4th.  Everybody likes the backup.  By mid season, we won't hear Davis at all, you will all be saying "if only they would play Hosick."   I do expect Hunter to lead us to the playoffs this season.  We'll see, but your "all in with Ricky" has no factual basis for support

Lol I'd like to have a little of what you're smoking. Please share!