Author Topic: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!  (Read 185790 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 08:33:44 AM »
I think the football department/public relations department has done a tremendous job trying to get their message across on different social media outlets however that will only do so much.. Just need to win and that will take care of the rest. Yo I love the countdown, wouldn't mind seeing one leading up to the W.V. game after Duquesne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 12:00:12 AM »
46 days

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 09:43:11 AM »
Drae Smith's preview of the 2016 roster.  IMO, pass D will be legendary but the same concerns I had at the end of 2015 are still there with minor improvements (receivers, O line, and QB).

http://www.draesmith.com/blog/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 12:22:53 AM »
45 days!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 12:23:25 AM »
Thanks for the Drae Smith link by the way!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
Would you prefer I dont do daily countdown then go? I did it last year and started at a much higher number. This year, I started at 50 days because someone had suggested that last year. If the consensus is that this is a bad thing though, I can stop doing the countdown.
As I said:
"Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the daily countdown"
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 10:17:23 AM »
The countdown is awesome!!  Two thumbs up !!

On another note, when your first year HC at NE has a train wreck first year, b about the former coach (who actually won).  Unreal...

http://www.todaysu.com/big-ten/nebraska-cornhuskers/mike-riley-is-proof-nebraska-made-right-move-canning-bo-pelini/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 10:38:44 AM »
FWIW, Massey predicts a 6-5/4-4  season, and a tail whoopin at WVU.

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9217&s=286577

TBH, I think Massey's margins of victory are exaggerated, but unfortunately 6-5/4-4 is about what I am predicting also....maybe 7-4 as ISUr maybe in a rebuilding year.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 11:12:04 AM »
Looks about what I would expect.  Need to turn around forecast close loses at home to Iowa State and Indiana State to make playoffs.  Or score "signature win" against rated team on the road.
Definitely do-able!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 01:14:16 PM »
I think right now we have a large senior class as our best intangible in crossing the 8-win threshold for a post-season birth. As Go Guins already mentioned, the OL is the real question. Cross your fingers and we have an awesome running backfield ...the Bo & Carl's D was better than I expected ... the staff demonstrated a commitment to QB position. So here are my worries going into camp:

1. OL
2. Depth in the DL (not the outsides)
3. Kicking game ...both coverage and kickers. However, the staff went out and brought in two new legs & two coaches (well actually one was a move with Stoops).

In all honesty, some of my off-season fears with Bo, were put to rest. I am not saying his solutions are going to work, but the recognition and addressing of key problem areas "calmed my nerves" quite a bit.

FYI, this WVU team is no stronger than Pitt. IN fact about a year behind. NFL draft caliber QB, depth (limited skill) in the running backs. Short 1 WR going into camp (but two promising frosh ready to step up)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »
Biggest concerns I have are all on the offensive side of the ball:

1. Can the big uglies up front stay healthy and play much, much better this year?

2. Who is going to be throwing the ball? Can Wells rebound ? Can Ricky grab ahold of the job ? Hosick ready ?

3. Who is going to step up at WR ? Lots of options but no #1 guy but maybe that's a good thing. We shall see.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 02:16:24 PM »

1. Can the big uglies up front stay healthy and play much, much better this year?

2. Who is going to be throwing the ball? Can Wells rebound ? Can Ricky grab ahold of the job ? Hosick ready ?

3. Who is going to step up at WR ? Lots of options but no #1 guy but maybe that's a good thing. We shall see.

Chief, what bothers me is we all reference this QB question, but the other 2 questions, OL and WR have a WHOLE LOT to do with your question #2

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »

Chief, what bothers me is we all reference this QB question, but the other 2 questions, OL and WR have a WHOLE LOT to do with your question #2

Exactly. That's why I said the offense in a whole is concerning. Montgomery sure has is work cut out for him.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
We have a total of 11 BCS transfers most in the conference. The Missouri will be as strong as ever, but the talent is there to have a good year. We do have to replace the wide receiver coach who most recently took another position. If we can stay healthy I feel good about our O-line. Wr. remains a question mark coming off the spring. Inside sources tell me the depth chart at QB is Wells, Davis, Mays and Hosick in that order with Davis really pushing Wells for the Job. Questions remain about the interior of the defensive line and the run defense. We need a replacement for Lee Wright and that's easier said then done..He was a tackling machine when ball carriers got by the first wave of defenders

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 09:04:05 PM »