Author Topic: Penny Penguin  (Read 10174 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Penny Penguin
« on: May 25, 2016, 01:41:57 PM »
You know that we are up against "Sparty" in the Mascot Challenge? Clearly we will lose, but I would like to bring up a topic that we have discussed before: the use of having a male and female mascot. I mean this is not the 1960's or 1970's. It is time for Penny to go, she is not our mascot:

https://twitter.com/BracketBattles1/status/734920007579144192/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:45:53 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penny Penguin
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:40:14 PM »
Well maybe Penny is transgender....
Mascots are the least of the problems and the young kids like them.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »
OK 1AA, you've gone too far this time! 
Pete & Penny are a big asset to YSU and its athletic programs.  I can’t imagine anyone wanting to “kill off” poor  Penny, and there would be a cry from some corners to kill Pete instead.  This is one far better left alone.  YSU in kind of unique with the two and I like it!  Better OSU add Bernice Buckeye that we ditch Penny!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 05:51:52 PM »
It is not a matter of "going too far", just a topic of conversation for the off-season. DI colleges that are either all-male (if that is still legal) or co-ed:

1. You have Delaware, who named their bird "yoUdee" (an offshoot of Rudy) in an attempt to hide the fact that a Hen is a female chicken. What is worse is that most of the New Englanders do not know this. Then you have those idiots, mostly in Ohio and Michigan, that think a Wolverine is a female wolf and not a weasel.

2. You have a number of schools which, like YSU, added a female mascot in the 60's. Purdue (Patty) like most DI schools, dropped their female mascot. Only a few, like YSU, BG keeps their female counterpart to Freddie (Frieda) Falcon. There is also Josephine "Josie" Bruin for UCLA.

Many people want a tougher-looking Penguin. Now the original Bruin was like Pete Penguin in that he was happy and smiling. Many wanted a more ferocious-looking bear mascot. Then one of the universities major benefactors reminded UCLA that it made "cents" not to "change" it as the mascot was supposed to be a bear cub, a reflection of the school's youth, as compared to most of historic private institutions like USC, Stanford and the other more established universities. So the decision was to allow Joe to show his teeth, but not be very ferocious.

Interestingly enough, since I am doing all of this research, most of the major women's colleges have no mascots at all. No this is not political, it is simply that most of them had no sports at the time.

Political Correctness:
- As most of us know, the American Indian mascots are being removed.
- Most mascots that have guns are also being removed. In fact the University of Arizona's Wilbur the Wildcat has been stripped of his guns. The university has been sued on several occasions for the guns that still adorn the main statue that remains on campus.
-Even though they were married, it is officially Mr and Ms Wuffwuff for the Carolina Wolfpack.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:38:50 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
Well maybe Penny is transgender....
Mascots are the least of the problems and the young kids like them.

Haha!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
It was actually quite close. In fact the closest of the college votes that round: (Sparty) 528 - 466 (Pete).I suspect some of our friends in An Arbor helped us out, but great job to the Penguin faithful. Now let's get Pete on to the Capital One Mascot Challenge this fall !!!

I understand that there will be better voting this year, so we will keep you posted!!

ValleyTalk

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 08:00:23 AM »
I get tired of seeing that Big Red from Western Kentucky on the mascot challenge. Every time I seem him I think of that episode from "South Park":

Don't forget to bring a towel!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »
 1AA why in the world do you want to conform to what other schools are doing?  Good grief, the "Fear the Penguin" tee shirts are GREAT.  Sets us apart, and you are suggesting we conform to current trends?  Nah. I'm all for the individuality of YSU.  As the de-facto capital city of the rust belt, we need all the positive individuality we can get.  Penny is great and I think we should use her more, not less!

This "off-season" drivel is enough to make my stomach queasy!  Fortunately, I have a 1:00 tee time and dinner plans before the Cavs game, so I don't have to read more of this "stuff".  Reminds me of Jeff Van Gundy's tirade against perfect attendance awards for elementary schools during the Cavs game 5!  Just don’t “mess” with Penny while I’m busy
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 09:51:14 AM »
Enjoy your golf ...Penny will still be here when you get back. :)

We have 2-months to fill with no sports ...just trying to keep fans interested. Although I am going to get Pete on the Capital One Challenge!!!

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 02:37:51 PM »
Please consider the removal of Penny a priority.  She is an embarrassment to some alumnus and fans.  I was glad to see that she did not appear in many of the basketball games.  Could it be her roundness, her hat, or even her babushka. If there is a desire from fans to remove her, they have my vote.  By the way most of us in the basketball section "boo" her whenever she appears.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 06:16:04 PM »
We have 2-months to fill with no sports ...just trying to keep fans interested. Although I am going to get Pete on the Capital One Challenge!!!
[/quote]

Pete could stand to be on the Biggest Loser Challenge. :)
Maybe we should scream "diversity" and force all of the other schools to adopt female mascots too.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 10:03:15 PM »

Pete could stand to be on the Biggest Loser Challenge. :)
Maybe we should scream "diversity" and force all of the other schools to adopt female mascots too.
[/quote]

Lol!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 08:48:59 AM »
I am serious about the Capital One Mascot Challenge. They are going to change the rules this year & allow some write-in candidates. We will all need to get behind this.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 09:54:40 PM »
I'm game for the mascot challenge!