Author Topic: FCS 2015 Playoffs. Did I really see this?  (Read 33067 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: FCS 2015 Playoffs. Did I really see this?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 06:52:50 PM »
My prediction is NDSU and Illinois St. will meet in the semi-finals and earn the right to beat the HELL out of Jacksonville St. for the title. Considering we had a great opportunity to win both of those games makes the 2015 FCS playoffs hard to follow..but it's something we need to do in order to learn from it

I agree. I have JSU vs NDSU in the title, but realistically, it could just as easily be Illinois State. UNI is even surprising me. I think they lose to the Bison, but you never know. Is this the year?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2015, 06:59:30 PM »
2 down 3 to go - go Bearkats!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2015, 08:38:17 PM »
Espn 2 NDSU and Richmond. Kind of strange seeing a spider on a helmet. Bison are up early and home field advantage is on their side

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2015, 09:34:46 PM »
This game is a joke. Bison up 26-0 just before half and it should be 50-0. The spiders can't do a damn thing. BO if your watching this game get yourself a power running game and that will solve your quarterback issues and a linebacker like DeLuco who you simply can't block..time to turn this one off and see if Mount Union can bring another one home
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:51:35 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2015, 09:26:13 AM »
UR (1-1 vs. MVFC) gets ripped by a team that we almost beat and was beaten by USD.  UR would be a mid-pack MVFC team.  Horrible playoff showing for the CAA, where two CAA teams were beat by a PL team.  Not only is the CAA no longer the top FCS conference, I'd put them below the BSC and Southern.

NDSU on their way to 5 straight.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2015, 09:57:10 AM »
yep ...no one left to protect our #1 active (#2 overall) spot.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »
Jacksonville St. demolishing Sam Houston at the Half..Look for the Bison's defense to come up big in the title game. Funny thing about this our offense had more success against their defense then just about anyone did this year

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »
Semi final games are duds.  They need to re-think the playoff system based on geography or what ever BS criteria.  I think for one they need to make all of FCS full scholarship and eliminate the BS teams and conferences.  Or make them ineligible for the playoffs.  I would drop it to 16 teams like it used to be.  I turned both games off early.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2015, 07:10:32 PM »
The Bison will have their hands full with Jacksonville St. They have a great QB in Jenkins. He is very mobile and can run plus he is an accurate passer. They have very good WR's that catch nearly anything. The Bison are good, but I doubt they can beat Jacksonville in the Title game. It should be a very good Championship game.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2015, 08:09:17 PM »
Semi final games are duds.  They need to re-think the playoff system based on geography or what ever BS criteria.  I think for one they need to make all of FCS full scholarship and eliminate the BS teams and conferences.  Or make them ineligible for the playoffs.  I would drop it to 16 teams like it used to be.  I turned both games off early.

I'm impressed you even turned it on
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2015, 07:03:15 AM »
Jacksonville St. demolishing Sam Houston at the Half..Look for the Bison's defense to come up big in the title game. Funny thing about this our offense had more success against their defense then just about anyone did this year

Then they flipped the switch in the 4th qtr and we didn't get a first down.  I don't think we scored in the second half.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2015, 09:15:12 AM »

Then they flipped the switch in the 4th qtr and we didn't get a first down.  I don't think we scored in the second half.
It was pretty much like that the entire season. Never knew what you would get from series to series, half to half or week to week..this team needs to learn to play 4 quarters the entire season
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:16:46 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »
I think line play was a big part of that as well. Too tired, too soon.

That being said Jacksonville State has no chance. Their offense is exactly like ours, their defense is as limited as ours. They use pressure & once you get past it, you can do anything against them.This will be the 5th time I have seen them this year. Time Warner must love JSU :)

Just as they did against the Guins; expect NDSU to have several big strikes for scores. As compared to YSU, JSU has a better pass attack over the middle, but our passing in the flats is better (we have more speed).

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2015, 09:45:27 AM »
YSU offense:  Q4 vs NDSU:

First downs:  0
Yards: minus 5

If YSU burned clock in Q4 by going in the "victory formation" each play before punting, we may have possibly prevented that last late NDSU TD with only 29 seconds left.  The Wolf was criticized for not playing 4 quarters.  Now what is the constant between the offense of the Wolf era and this season?  Hmmmmm........
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2015, 12:02:43 PM »
YSU offense:  Q4 vs NDSU:

IMO, when we were leading going into the 4th Q, we started getting tired and getting conservative. We did not want Wells to throw the ball beside handing it off. Since Wells was not mobile and since the other team knew we were going to handoff or throw short passes to the backs, we had no chance in getting a first down.

When our defense could not hold being on the field for the entire 4th quarter, we lost those games. It was pretty the same during either the Wolf or Bo era.

We need to have a QB the coach can trust so we could go down field to either score or run off some clock.

Otherwise, history will continue to repeat itself.

First downs:  0
Yards: minus 5

If YSU burned clock in Q4 by going in the "victory formation" each play before punting, we may have possibly prevented that last late NDSU TD with only 29 seconds left.  The Wolf was criticized for not playing 4 quarters.  Now what is the constant between the offense of the Wolf era and this season?  Hmmmmm........