Author Topic: Game Day: Guins vs. Bears  (Read 15763 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Game Day: Guins vs. Bears
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 10:03:09 AM »
I'd like to see Davis start this saturday.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
How many dropped balls yesterday 5 or 6.  How many dropped balls all season.  I see we are using a few different guys at WR now.  I think it's a timing issue with Wells. On the int. He threw it way to late.  What I saw of Davis shows why Wells is QB 1.  Davis is mobile yes. You guys all want a dual threat QB and We don't have that we have one that can pass and one that can run.  When we had Dante last year you see how that worked it out he is at Slippery Rock.  Wells excels in the intermediate and longer passes.  The issue her is the offense that is installed not the player.  Good coaching makes adjustments with talent and game situations.  I do see that with Monty on the field it has helped during the game.  But he needs to fit the offense to his horses that he had not make the horses fit his system.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 10:21:16 AM »

For what reason.  Wells didn't play himself out of the starters job.  I am sure the Bison want him to start too.  Davis had no clue about the passing game in Montys offense he should have been picked the one time he tried to throw down field into quadruple coverage.  But he better be ready to play next week we will need both guys.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 11:28:46 AM »

For what reason.  Wells didn't play himself out of the starters job.  I am sure the Bison want him to start too.  Davis had no clue about the passing game in Montys offense he should have been picked the one time he tried to throw down field into quadruple coverage.  But he better be ready to play next week we will need both guys.

To beat NDSU the execution must be near flawless. We know #6 likely will not execute at the required level. We know he won't escape the pass rush. IMO, starting #6 is dooming the outcome of the game.

I thought it was telling that #12 only had 7 passes against MSU and that Wells played after the half. The coaching staff has so little confidence in him that they felt he needed more practice. For whatever bizarre reason, they are married to the concept of starting #6 despite his past performance.  They are going down with the ship if necessary. At least with #12 there is chance. When I last looked #12 has a higher completion % and higher yards/attempt.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:30:09 AM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 11:46:37 AM »
Benching Wells who is one of your team Captains would not accomplish anything positive especially when this team was an over time and a knee away from being 5-1 in the conference. We are 1-0 in November.  It was a team effort and both QB's have been instrumental in that.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
We need to throw NDSU a new wrinkle. They are going to stop the run, they always do. Especially with our O-Line issues. Wells is going to be a sitting duck if we decide to sit back and throw the ball. Davis needs to come in, run a couple read options but they really need to throw the ball with him. He can do it. He's got a stronger arm than Wells, and is just about the same in accuracy.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »

Wells can a good ball down the middle on the crossing routes, to the tight end down the middle and to wideout running down the side line and on a post pattern.

He is not good at throwing the ball on a square out toward the sideline to the backs, tightened and wideouts. Looking down at for those receivers the whole time did nothing to help himself. The CB just jumped the route. Many of this sideline throws were late. So, quit calling those plays until he can look off the DBs or learn to throw it on time.

He was unable to look for alternate targets when the primary receiver is covered. Yesterday, on one of them plays, the receiver was double covered on his left towards the sideline while the tight end was running down the middle while open. He had plenty of time to look around (with good protection). But he forced the ball into double coverage with either minimum gain or incompletion.

If we continue to call those sideline passes without having him looking off the receivers, he will be more than just pick #6. He will also be pick #12 (taking over Ricky Davis' jersey number).

To beat NDSU the execution must be near flawless. We know #6 likely will not execute at the required level. We know he won't escape the pass rush. IMO, starting #6 is dooming the outcome of the game.

I thought it was telling that #12 only had 7 passes against MSU and that Wells played after the half. The coaching staff has so little confidence in him that they felt he needed more practice. For whatever bizarre reason, they are married to the concept of starting #6 despite his past performance.  They are going down with the ship if necessary. At least with #12 there is chance. When I last looked #12 has a higher completion % and higher yards/attempt.

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »
Any word on the Missouri player that was wheeled off the field ? Hope all is well.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 06:49:14 PM »
Wells was 15/25 for 241 for 3 tds and 1 int.  Am I happy with the int no.  We won like we were supposed to.  It's a November win, a league win, a team win.

I am not pro or anti Wells, just amazed with negative Nellie's.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 07:42:37 PM »
Wells is the best QB we have.  He needs to be coached to look off the defensive backs and not lock on to one guy.  That is the whole issue as I see it.  The OL patch job has been rocky at times.  They need to play out O their asses to pull this off

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 08:07:34 PM »
Wells is the best QB we have.  He needs to be coached to look off the defensive backs and not lock on to one guy.  That is the whole issue as I see it.  The OL patch job has been rocky at times.  They need to play out O their asses to pull this off
I like Wells and some of the things that he could do. I just wish our coaches stopped calling those passes to the sideline on the out pattern when he could not look off the receiver or read the defense. The coaches should protect him and the team by not putting us in that situation. Can Davis play better? The coaches see them 6 days a week in practice, in game and on film. I will let them do their job and I am not going to second guess them. Both Wolf and Bo coached both QBs and came to the same conclusion. Who am I to second guess them when I only see them once a week for 3 hours during the game?
If they are putting Davis in there, then let him throw the ball also (so he could play like a normal QB). We don't another part time QB/running back in the game. We need a complete QB. Otherwise, stay with Wells and coach/develop him.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 10:58:19 PM »
Bingo!  Double ET nailed it. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 09:15:17 AM »
That's right.  Let's throw something unique at NDSU.  I've got it, let's start ME at QB, that will shock the hell out of them! 
I have a good friend that is a completely blind OSU fan and he thought Cordell Steward, whoops, Cardell Jones, was the second coming at QB in Columbus, and I tell him, you know why he was third string going into last season?  Because the other 2 guys were BETTER.  This season has shown his weaknesses.  Well, Hunter is our QB because He is BETTER than the back-ups.   Yes, Davis surprised WI last week on a first pass, but otherwise.....
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 11:49:57 AM »
That's right.  Let's throw something unique at NDSU.  I've got it, let's start ME at QB, that will shock the hell out of them! 
I have a good friend that is a completely blind OSU fan and he thought Cordell Steward, whoops, Cardell Jones, was the second coming at QB in Columbus, and I tell him, you know why he was third string going into last season?  Because the other 2 guys were BETTER.  This season has shown his weaknesses.  Well, Hunter is our QB because He is BETTER than the back-ups.   Yes, Davis surprised WI last week on a first pass, but otherwise.....

As long as you look off the safety, grab a jersey ;)